• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wondering about a sign I saw at IHOP in Greensboro NC

hotrod08

I saw a sign at the IHOP in Greensboro,NC (Off Wendover) Thats says
"NO Weapons Allowed Except Law Enforcement And State Permit Holder's"

Just wondering if that means that you could OC if you had your CHP
Being it doesn't say how state permit holders can carry.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Dreamer

My guess is if you OC, you're going to be hassled, and if you show a CHP, you'll be asked to conceal...

However, that sign's wording does not say "Only Concealed Weapons". So they can't really requir you to conceal it, or immediately charge you for trespassing if you OC and have a CHP, (unless they ask you to leave and you refuse.)

However, all that said, it IS private property, and they CAN put any stipulations on access they want. If I wanted to hang a sign in my store that said, "No wearing of hats inside, and all trousers must be properly belted", it would be perfectly legal, and I could trespass ANYONE who attempted to enter in violation of those rules...

Technically, private property owners can deny access to ANYONE to their property for ANY reason. If a private property owner wants to bar someone wearing a Star of David necklace, or a crucifix, or an amber and jet necklace, or carrying a copy of the Koran or the Book of Mormon, or wearing an "Obama Joker" t-shirt, or carrying a copy of an Ayn Rand book, from their property, they may legally do so under the law. Just like you can do in your own residence.

But a government entity (local, state, federal) may not...

Until the SCOTUS issues a decisive ruling on whether or not "private property/public access" venues are required to follow the same legal guidelines as government with regards to limitations they may put on access, this will continue. Now that McDonald has put the 2A in the same legally protected category as the 1A, one of the next big fights (after we defeat the entire concept of governmental "reasonable restrictions") will be to hash out what (if any) discretion publicly-accessible private property owners have to restrict access...

hotrod08

Answers My question, THANKS!

Its weird how a place like walmart or I hop ETC can be considered private Property Because its ''Open to the public''
But I understand its owned by a private Person and or group So it makes it private Property.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I eat at this very IHOP every Friday morning before work. Personally, I just CC there. I read the sign as being a polite way of saying "We really don't want you to OC here, but we're ok with your gun if you are discreet."

Technically, you could legally OC there if you have a CHP, but, like Dreamer said, I expect you would be asked to cover up. I simply keep this place on my mental list of CC-only places. I'm planning on trying to get into the Greensboro Police Dept. soon, and I'd rather not have a run-in with the local LEOs over a difference of opinion on the meaning of a sign.

Tell you what.... I'd rather see more businesses with the same sign that IHOP has than the circle/slash "no weapons" sign that is much more common. At least IHOP isn't completely stripping citizens of the ability to be legally armed while eating there.

hotrod08

I eat at this very IHOP every Friday morning before work. Personally, I just CC there. I read the sign as being a polite way of saying "We really don't want you to OC here, but we're ok with your gun if you are discreet."

Technically, you could legally OC there if you have a CHP, but, like Dreamer said, I expect you would be asked to cover up. I simply keep this place on my mental list of CC-only places. I'm planning on trying to get into the Greensboro Police Dept. soon, and I'd rather not have a run-in with the local LEOs over a difference of opinion on the meaning of a sign.

Tell you what.... I'd rather see more businesses with the same sign that IHOP has than the circle/slash "no weapons" sign that is much more common. At least IHOP isn't completely stripping citizens of the ability to be legally armed while eating there.

You have probably seem me there before then LOL.
Well I have to agree Id rather see that than a ban all the way around, There is some Ihops tho that has The "no weapons" sign I think The one in Asheboro NC and one in Charlotte or Pineville (Cant remember I just know it was one of them.)