• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fred's Restraunt----- Franklin VA

1000ydshooter

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
I know most of you arent from the area of Franklin (western tidewater). But if you ever are avoid Fred's restraunt. He is quoted in the tidewater news that guns in general are not welcome in his place. He also refers to gun owners as "bozos". I had been a longtime customer of his place,and even help clean up the building as a volunteer after the flood of 1999. Im gona be sure to drop off a "no gun no money" card to him as well. The way things are in the area with the mill shutdown im sure he cant afford to lose to many customers.

It’s ridiculous,” said David Rabil, owner of Fred’s Restaurant in downtown Franklin. “We try to keep our eyes open all the time. I don’t know what I could do differently if some bozo is dumb enough to bring a gun in here. It doesn’t make a bit of sense. The police don’t like it, and we sure don’t like it.”

http://tidewaternews.com/news/2010/jul/02/concealed-guns-allowed-bars-restaurants/#comments

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I know most of you arent from the area of Franklin (western tidewater). But if you ever are avoid Fred's restraunt. He is quoted in the tidewater news that guns in general are not welcome in his place. He also refers to gun owners as "bozos". I had been a longtime customer of his place,and even help clean up the building as a volunteer after the flood of 1999. Im gona be sure to drop off a "no gun no money" card to him as well. The way things are in the area with the mill shutdown im sure he cant afford to lose to many customers.

It’s ridiculous,” said David Rabil, owner of Fred’s Restaurant in downtown Franklin. “We try to keep our eyes open all the time. I don’t know what I could do differently if some bozo is dumb enough to bring a gun in here. It doesn’t make a bit of sense. The police don’t like it, and we sure don’t like it.”

http://tidewaternews.com/news/2010/jul/02/concealed-guns-allowed-bars-restaurants/#comments

And yet I can recall at least three (3) times in the past that I have gone in OCing and had a nice meal (two dinners & 1 lunch). Maybe this is just a recent thing based on the newspeople asking him about it - because on my last visit I had one of the kids working in the kitchen come out and talk with me about OC and guns in general as I was paying my tab.

I will, however, be sure to stop by next time I'm in the area and tll him I'm going somewhere else to eat.

stay safe.

paramedic70002

I am proud to be the first to comment on that article! seems opinion is not going his way, either. Seems age and senility have started to kick in on Mr. Rabil.

Skidmark, I and my wife have OCed many times at Don Panchos in the WalMart shopping center without a problem. If you're in to Mexican food, try their San Diego. Mmmm Mmmmm GOOD!

For other good food recommendations:

Three Guy's Italian across from WalMart very OC friendly.

Just into Isle of Wight going East on Second Ave. (58 Business): Joe's (Italian). Very OC friendly.

Go West on 58 a few miles to Main St. Courtland, where I work EMS. Southern Sisters (breakfast and lunch only, popular with the courthouse folks), Pete's (American, awesome weekend breakfast buffet), Anna's (Italian).

Oops I'm afraid I have drifted OT!

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The police don’t like it, and we sure don’t like it.”

I wonder if he's talking about that crooked Sheriff there?

1000ydshooter

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
The Chief of police for the City of Franklin is quoted that he dosent have a problem with it.
The Sherriff you are refering to is Charlie Phelps, Sherriff of Isle of Wight county where i live (when im in the country anyway). I had a problem a few months ago over my carry permit. Which i won by the way. We finally gave him enough rope and he has now hung his self as the old saying goes. Ive spread the word to all my friends in the area,about 100 in total.Most said they would be sure to tell the owner why they wont be eating there anymore. He will notice