• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Civil right to bear arms, carry permits, and foreign language speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODA 226

What makes you think that you have the right To dictate English Only?

My great grandfather was a Native American, why must I speak only English? The right to bear arms is a universal and god given right. My ancestors had that right BEFORE any English speakers appeared on this continent, and they have treaty rights to maintain our language and culture.

Remember, all men are created equal, not just those that speak English.

Thundar,
Big deal. My mother's half of the family are native Hawaiians. I am 50% Native Hawaiian. My family speaks Hawaiian in my mother's house and back home on the island. In my house we speak English, Croatian and on some occasions, German.

Do you really propose that every legal document in America should be translated by our government for anyone who chooses to live in our country and refuse to learn our common language? There are over 250 spoken languages in the world. Please tell me your solution to the OP's question. And BTW: You know that I believe the right to bear arms is a universal and God given right...
Craig

Last edited:

ODA 226

I was just watching a show about immigration and naturalization. Second-generation Americans from immigrant parents speak English at a rate of 90%, which is the highest it's ever been.

I do not believe that data is true. QFT please. Worst of all is the Hyphenization of one's ethnicity before the word AMERICAN.

In the former Jugoslavia under Tito, everyone was a Jugoslav. When Tito died, people began to identify themselves with their ethnicity (Croat, Serb, Muslim, Slovene, Albanian or Montenegrin) and thousands of people were slaughtered because of that.

Jared

Really...

This is America. English only. My wife is a Croatian and she took her CHP test in ENGLISH.

There is no "official language" at the federal level. It isn't there.

What about New Mexico and Hawaii? Both states have dual official languages according to their state constitutions.

Perhaps none of that should matter because YOU don't approve of it.

This is an interesting concept about classes and permits being available in different languages, it is a fundamental right and I'm for anything that makes the licensing system harder to keep in existance.

KBCraig

I was just watching a show about immigration and naturalization. Second-generation Americans from immigrant parents speak English at a rate of 90%, which is the highest it's ever been.
I do not believe that data is true. QFT please. Worst of all is the Hyphenization of one's ethnicity before the word AMERICAN.
I didn't address hyphenization, so please don't ascribe such sentiments to me. I believe that first-generation immigrants can rightly call themselves "something-Americans". And if we are talking about a particular Americanized immigrant culture (as opposed to people), that has some validity (how else would you describe St. Patrick's Day in Chicago or Boston as anything other than "Irish-American"?)

The show was "Faces of America", which featured the research of Henry Louis Gates, Jr. Despite the "beer summit" controversy and everything that led up to it, Dr. Gates does enjoy a reputation as an excellent scholar and historian. It was his quote, and I have no reason to doubt it. If you do, please present your argument, and I will read it with an open mind.

In the former Jugoslavia under Tito, everyone was a Jugoslav. When Tito died, people began to identify themselves with their ethnicity (Croat, Serb, Muslim, Slovene, Albanian or Montenegrin) and thousands of people were slaughtered because of that.
True enough. It's hard for people to worry about the ethnicity of their neighbors when they're under the boot of a communist dictator and artificially-contrived geographic boundaries.

Tito stood up to Stalin, but he did so for his own reasons. His nationalism prevented all those local groups from deciding their own fates. You can only hold your finger in a leak for so long, and Tito's death released an explosive pressure that had built up for too long. Tito didn't prevent the violence; he caused it, by forcing people to be "one nation under Tito", when they had no desire to be nationalized.

The Balkans were Balkanized before the lines of "Yugoslavia" were drawn up as a mid-war trophy among people who were neither Bosnian nor Serb nor Croat nor Dalmatian nor any of the others. Its existence was a brief and failed experiment in nation-building.

Oh, and I believe your wife has the right to arm herself no matter her citizenship or visa status or mother tongue. I believe the same for all people, no matter where on this earth they reside, despite the contrary opinion of the governments that seek to deny that right.

ODA 226

There is no "official language" at the federal level. It isn't there.

What about New Mexico and Hawaii? Both states have dual official languages according to their state constitutions.

Perhaps none of that should matter because YOU don't approve of it.

This is an interesting concept about classes and permits being available in different languages, it is a fundamental right and I'm for anything that makes the licensing system harder to keep in existance.

I don't believe in permits either. In a perfect world a licencing system wouldn't exist. BUT IT DOES.

So Jared, instead of attacking me, tell us all, do you think each state should offer it's CHP courses in 250 different languages for those that don't speak English? How about drivers licensing? How about bar exams? How about doctors boards?

Where would the madness stop?

ODA 226

The show was "Faces of America", which featured the research of Henry Louis Gates, Jr. Despite the "beer summit" controversy and everything that led up to it, Dr. Gates does enjoy a reputation as an excellent scholar and historian. It was his quote, and I have no reason to doubt it. If you do, please present your argument, and I will read it with an open mind.

Henry Louis Gates Jr's. actions have, IMHO, exposed him as a racist, bigot and elitist. His "opinions" bear no weight anymore.

kwikrnu

Banned
I don't believe in permits either. In a perfect world a licencing system wouldn't exist. BUT IT DOES.

So Jared, instead of attacking me, tell us all, do you think each state should offer it's CHP courses in 250 different languages for those that don't speak English? How about drivers licensing? How about bar exams? How about doctors boards?

Where would the madness stop?

It isn't an enumerated right to drive, practice medicine, or law. It is an enumerated recognized right to keep and bear arms. Unless the training for a permit is offered in all languages there is an infringement of the civil right. So, either the States will have to begin offering the applications and classes in all languages or allow unlicensed/permitted people to carry arms.

Last edited:

ODA 226

So, either the States will have to begin offering the applications and classes in all languages or allow unlicensed/permitted people to carry arms.

You know that will never happen even as much as all of us would like it to.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Politically incorrect, not by birth, but by choice. :)

Would support English as the official language with no hesitation. Do not see a conflict with states that have "dual language" wording in their constitution or statutes.

Those businesses that choose to post signs, information or whatever do so voluntarily as private enterprises. I would oppose mandating any level of multi-lingual requirements on a national level.

It is incumbent upon the individual to learn the dominant language of our country and not the responsibility of our law makers to make assimilation into our society effortless, without responsibility. Citizenship is not acquired without some effort put forth and some understanding of the language is at least indirectly involved.

Carried to the level of absurdity (IMO) would be to require that ALL laws be written in ALL languages. It should not be a defense that someone did not understand a law/rule/form because it was not written in their language - indeed ignorance of the law is often said to not be an excuse. If a person's level of education causes them to not understand something in their own native language, are they to be excused or given special dispensation for their personal lack of acquired ability?

No to multiple choice buttons. The language of choice, though others were very much in evidence at the time, for our Constitution and Bill of Rights was English - and that is as valid now as it was then.

Never heard a good answer to "Why can't the English speak English?" :lol:

KBCraig

Henry Louis Gates Jr's. actions have, IMHO, exposed him as a racist, bigot and elitist. His "opinions" bear no weight anymore.

That's it? Dismiss the messenger without addressing the message?

Okay, here you go:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/30/us/30immig.html
immig190chart.jpg

The Pew report found that Hispanics are generally eager to master English, believing it is “necessary for success in the United States.”

http://www.migrationinformation.org/USfocus/display.cfm?ID=282
Bilingualism is common among second-generation children. Most children who grow up in immigrant households speak an immigrant language at home, but almost all are proficient in English.

Among second-generation Hispanics, 92 percent speak English well or very well, even though 85 percent speak at least some Spanish at home. Eleven percent of Mexican second-generation children speak only English at home, compared to five percent in the first generation. However, for Puerto Ricans and Cubans, two other large Hispanic groups, over one-fourth of the second-generation are English monolinguals at 29 and 27 percent, respectively.

Among Asian groups, 96 percent are proficient in English and 61 percent speak an Asian mother tongue. The levels of English monolingualism are notably higher among a few Asian groups that come from countries, such as India and the Philippines, where English is an official language or is widely used.

That was so easy to find, I'm sorry you blew it off. Note that neither source is Henry Louis Gates.

ODA 226

Last edited:

Thundar

The Big Deal

Thundar,
Big deal. My mother's half of the family are native Hawaiians. I am 50% Native Hawaiian. My family speaks Hawaiian in my mother's house and back home on the island. In my house we speak English, Croatian and on some occasions, German.

Do you really propose that every legal document in America should be translated by our government for anyone who chooses to live in our country and refuse to learn our common language? There are over 250 spoken languages in the world. Please tell me your solution to the OP's question. And BTW: You know that I believe the right to bear arms is a universal and God given right...
Craig
The issue of speaking a certain language is not a gun rights issue so I will not flame here. Requiring any language competency in order to exercise a fundamental right is wrong. Requiring the passing of a written test in any language in order to exercise a fundamental right is wrong. So we agree more than we disagree.

Last edited:

KBCraig

Yeah. The source is a PRO- Hispanic Group.
The New York Times and Pew Research are pro-Hispanic?

Maybe they're pro-Asian; they gave the numbers for immigrants from eastern and southwestern Asia, too. Those numbers were a little higher than the Hispanic immigrants, which is why the claim stands that 90% of second-generation immigrants are fluent in English.

This line of discussion started over the idea that we "need" to make English the official language. I've shown that it's not an issue, because immigrants already learn English.

ODA 226

The issue of speaking a certain language is not a gun rights issue so I will not flame here. Requiring any language competency in order to exercise a fundamental right is wrong. Requiring the passing of a written test in any language in order to exercise a fundamental right is wrong. So we agree more than we disagree.

As usual! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.