• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visitors & Virginia OC laws?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Hello,

My family & I are coming to Virginia on vacation. My question is what are the laws for carrying a pistol openly in Virginia? CPL required (in VA called CHP)? Residents only? Etc...

Thanks in advance.

- G9mmOS

Last edited:

45acpForMe

Hello,

My family & I are coming to Virginia on vacation. My question is what are the laws for carrying a pistol openly in Virginia? CPL required (in VA called CHP)? Residents only? Etc...
Thanks in advance.
- G9mmOS

Anyone over the age of 18 can OC in Virginia, assuming they can legally own a gun (no felons, mentally ill, etc). There is no resident requirement. If you do have your Michigin CPL it is honored here in Virginia. Enjoy your stay!

Depending on where you are visiting you may want to read through this thread that talks about the differing parks/etc: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?75894-Forests-Parks-Wildlife-Refuges-and-Cemeteries There is also a thread somewhere on how to OC at the beach, but getting the picture of Borat in a man-thong out of your head may take a while. :)

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Thanks

Anyone over the age of 18 can OC in Virginia, assuming they can legally own a gun (no felons, mentally ill, etc). There is no resident requirement. If you do have your Michigin CPL it is honored here in Virginia. Enjoy your stay!

Depending on where you are visiting you may want to read through this thread that talks about the differing parks/etc: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?75894-Forests-Parks-Wildlife-Refuges-and-Cemeteries There is also a thread somewhere on how to OC at the beach, but getting the picture of Borat in a man-thong out of your head may take a while. :)

Thanks for the reply Sir! :) I OC due to need here in S.E. MI (Detroit area) & I am still waiting for my CPL in Wayne Co. (we in the MI OC forum call it WaCo county) the wait can be six months to get one. I am glad your state has the wisdom to let law abiding citizen defend themselves, their families & others. Good on VA! :)

45acpForMe

A while back, lil_freak_66 (also from Michigan) stopped in town to visit family and came to one of our OC dinners. While we were waiting (and waiting, long story) for others to join a few VA Beach Police walked past us and we had a friendly encounter where they were joking us. Most areas are very OC friendly (including interactions with LEO) and many times people don't even notice you are OC-ing.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
A while back, lil_freak_66 (also from Michigan) stopped in town to visit family and came to one of our OC dinners. While we were waiting (and waiting, long story) for others to join a few VA Beach Police walked past us and we had a friendly encounter where they were joking us. Most areas are very OC friendly (including interactions with LEO) and many times people don't even notice you are OC-ing.

I'm glad to hear your folks down there are OC friendly. I am also glad to hear Tyler (lil_freak_66) met some nice folks on his visit.

I'm going to be in the Mcgaheysville VA area. You guys got anything going on in that area this weekend through next week?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mcgah...code_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCMQ8gEwAA

45acpForMe

I don't know of anything going on but I am 2+ hours east of there. We just had some statewide OC dinners to celebrate the new laws that went into affect July 1.

- you can store a loaded gun in a secured container in your boat or car. This means you don't need a CHP to put your gun in your glovebox or center console while driving.
- If you have a CHP you can CC in a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as you don't drink. You could always (and by law only) OC in restaurants that serve alcohol.
You might post on the Charlottesville OC thread to see if anyone is up for a dinner or lunch. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?57200-Cville-OC-(Charlottesville)/page17

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Thanks again!

I don't know of anything going on but I am 2+ hours east of there. We just had some statewide OC dinners to celebrate the new laws that went into affect July 1.

- you can store a loaded gun in a secured container in your boat or car. This means you don't need a CHP to put your gun in your glovebox or center console while driving.
- If you have a CHP you can CC in a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as you don't drink. You could always (and by law only) OC in restaurants that serve alcohol.
You might post on the Charlottesville OC thread to see if anyone is up for a dinner or lunch. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?57200-Cville-OC-(Charlottesville)/page17

Thanks again for all your help 45acpForMe. I truly appreciate it. We are heading out tonight & should be in VA in the morning. I am looking forward to visiting & it sounds like your state is a little ahead of mine on the OC learning curve ;)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You need a holster.

Actually, you just need to be sure that it is easily recognizable as a handgun - not so concealed that someone looking at it would not be immediately aware it was a handgun and not something else. Thus the "Virginia tuck" thing regarding IWB holsters used for OC. And the ability to carry it on a lanyard around your neck. (Not that I'd advise doing that, but it would be legal.)

Holsters make life easier and more comfortable. They also are supposed to make your handgun more secure (if the handgun and holster fit each other properly).

stay safe.

simmonsjoe

Actually, you just need to be sure that it is easily recognizable as a handgun - not so concealed that someone looking at it would not be immediately aware it was a handgun and not something else. Thus the "Virginia tuck" thing regarding IWB holsters used for OC. And the ability to carry it on a lanyard around your neck. (Not that I'd advise doing that, but it would be legal.)

Holsters make life easier and more comfortable. They also are supposed to make your handgun more secure (if the handgun and holster fit each other properly).

stay safe.
I would add that, Mexican Carry in the U.S. is completely identified with the criminal element.