Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open carry, how many guns should I have in my arsenal?

Banned

Question open carry, how many guns should I have in my arsenal?

10/10 armies suggest keeping an arsenal. I have read that sometimes police seize handguns from open carriers and it may take a while to get them back. I have also read that sometimes firearms fail to function properly. Sometimes government agencies will come door to door and seize firearms they find.

How many handguns should the open carrier have at their disposal in their arsenal?

Banned
    As many as you can afford.

Question Whoa....

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    10/10 armies suggest keeping an arsenal. I have read that sometimes police seize handguns from open carriers and it may take a while to get them back. I have also read that sometimes firearms fail to function properly. Sometimes government agencies will come door to door and seize firearms they find.

How many handguns should the open carrier have at their disposal in their arsenal?

There's a limit?
    Live Free or Die!

That is an easy question to answer!
    One more than you currently have, then repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    That is an easy question to answer!
    One more than you currently have, then repeat!
    I like his thinking haha.
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

An arsenal should be seizure proof. Make sure some of your firearms and the corresponding ammunition are stored in places that are beyond the arbitrary and tyrannical actions of government gun grabbers.

There are articles on the internet about how to store firearms for the long term.

The arsenal is a lot of fun, but do not underestimate the work required to maintain it.

There is something great about buying more firearms than you could possibly use in any given situation. It is the feeling of......freedom!
    Last edited by Thundar; 07-03-2010 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

I maintain more than I need simply because if or when the SHTF it will be nice to arm family, friends, neighbors & have something to trade for food or other necessities.

So how many ears of corn do I get for a box of ammo these days?

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    I maintain more than I need simply because if or when the SHTF it will be nice to arm family, friends, neighbors & have something to trade for food or other necessities.

So how many ears of corn do I get for a box of ammo these days?
    These days? We only accept gold, thanks.

Well, if you live in a one gun per month state, you have to buy at least one each month. So, there ya go.

Well they can take the .40, then if it happened again, the 9mm, and after that I have the .22, and I can nail a fox in the heart with that. That low recoil thing really helps, and .22's can be just as deadly ( with my tight fox heart groupings). In fact I'll trade the pelts of those foxes for a new handgun LOL. In the olden days, besides gold, you could trade in tobacco and/or furs.

Question

Is this a trick question? I think psycho is actually asking about on his person.

In the event that you have a firearm seized, it is a good idea to have a second that you may use for familiarity's sake until your first firearm is returned. For instance, if your standard carry is a military load-out of an M1911, you'd want to have two M1911s and four magazines. One M1911 and two magazines would be kept at home. Of course, if you decide to carry your own insurance, you're taking the risk that not one, but two guns will be seized: your OC gun and your concealed-carried backup gun.

The joking rule of thumb is keep adding guns until it interferes with your life/movement, then subtract one. Practically speaking, I see no reason to carry less than two. If your OC weapon is taken from you, you can pull from an ankle holster and take out a BG; he is now armed with your gun. Or you can brandish the firearm and tell him to drop your (OC carry) gun.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    SNIP An arsenal should be seizure proof.
    And, given the number of boating accidents around here, unsinkable.

Each gun should have its own GFD (gun flotation device).

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    There's a limit?
    +100000 And don't forget the AMMO !
    I am a Sheep Dog, ... Wolves Beware !

IMO, one handgun is enough for an arsenal, and maybe two if you like to alternate between OC and CC. I myself have an LCP for CC and a .357 Magnum Speed Six for OC.

I'm with Kirbinator

I've always believed its a good idea to have more than one gun identical, or very similar, to your primary carry gun. If you ever use the primary carry gun to defend yourself, police are going to take it for days, weeks, months or years. You may or may not ever get it back. The last thing you want is to have shot an assailant and be without a gun to protect yourself because yours is being held by police. Bad guys have family, friends and "business associates" who might not be very happy you've put a few holes in your assailant. They might even come looking for you to exact retribution. This is the worst time to be without the means to protect yourself. And if your primary gun is a semi-auto, you don't want to have to switch to a revolver. Life is going to be stressful enough without having to make such a radical switch in firearms. I'd prefer to have an exact, or almost exact, duplicate of the primary carry gun.

I usually carry a SIG P-229, so other classic SIG's are perfect. The P228 is almost identical in size, just 9mm instead of .40/.357 SIG. Fits the same holster. P-220 is a bit longer in the slide, but fits many of the same holsters. The P239, 245, 226 and 230/232 all have controls that are almost identical to one another.

I also have several holsters, in both left and right hand configuration. This turned out to be a really good idea. I broke the pinkie finger on my shooting (left) hand two summers ago. Nasty injury. The middle bone of the finger shattered into many pieces. Surgeon said there were more bone fragments on the x-ray than he could count. Treatment involved a surgically implanted, external appliance, so use of the left hand was out of the question for months. Fortunately, I just switched to the right hand holster and was back in business as soon as I was off the painkillers. I frequently practice both left and right handed shooting at the range, so the switch wasn't all that bad.

The other criteria is money. If you have money in the bank, you don't have enough guns, magazines, holsters and ammo.
    Last edited by markand; 07-04-2010 at 07:45 PM.

How many guns in my arsenal?

Keep buying until you run out of orange paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_I_Am View Post
    Now that there is funny!!!

Sorry kwikrnu, please don't stop posting pictures of your wife... carrying. And in all fairness to you, I didn't see any orange paint on the Hello Kitty gun!

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markand View Post
    SNIP If you have money in the bank, you don't have enough guns, magazines, holsters and ammo.
    But what about all those benevolent bankers who need that money in their bank? Are you trying to ruin the economy worse than the bankers already did? Come on! Who is going to play with derivatives? And, the banks can't possibly run a fractional reserve fraud without loans...um..."deposits" from the peasantry. How unAmerican.

<sarcasm off>
    Last edited by Citizen; 07-05-2010 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_I_Am View Post

As many as you think you need, and no more.

We all agree that more than one is better than just one. And the Constitution agrees where it says that we have the right to keep and bear ARMS (plural).

But I think it's also a personal question that depends on your personality and sensibilities, the laws of your state of residence, the crime rate and risks associated with where you live and routinely travel, etc. Here's my own single-data-point as an example. I bought a Baretta model 92S (9mm) about a year before it was adopted by the US military. I carried it only occasionally because it's really a difficult weapon to carry comfortably. After a few years of watching the demographics and crime rate change, I decided to get something that I could carry more easily and comfortably - a Glock model 27 (.40 S&W). Regardless of the type of holster, and of course I have several, a subcompact like that can be comfortably carried all day. And then I started climbing in the Rockies with my daughter every summer. I knew that a .40 S&W weapon was insufficient, so that's why I wound up with a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. My experience, then, is that you buy new weapons as your circumstances change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger .454 View Post
    We all agree that more than one is better than just one. And the Constitution agrees where it says that we have the right to keep and bear ARMS (plural). <snip> My experience, then, is that you buy new weapons as your circumstances change.
    Often when someone is deciding between two guns I suggest getting them both. ;-) First time buyers and people with limited funds try to get ONE gun that can do everything. I remind them that you can own more than one and trying to get one gun for every form of carry isn't always necessary.

I started buying smaller and smaller guns to CC comfortably, then when discovered OC-ing started buying bigger guns since carrying on the hip was comfortable.

The other thing to consider is storage, if you live in a dorm room you don't have much space for that gun safe. :-) One of the things that slowed me down from buying MORE is my gun safe started getting uncomfortably full. :-) Yes I know I can always by another gun safe. :-)

One of the things that slowed me down from buying MORE is my gun safe started getting uncomfortably full. :-) Yes I know I can always by another gun safe. :-)[/QUOTE]

I work with a guy who has converted a whole room of his house into a walk-in gun safe. It's a weapons palace!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    And, given the number of boating accidents around here, unsinkable.

Each gun should have its own GFD (gun flotation device).
    Now you tell me

Kwik- you can never have too many guns -- or, as many as the wife will let you have
    Last edited by okboomer; 07-05-2010 at 09:44 PM.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast