• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry, how many guns should I have in my arsenal?

kwikrnu

Banned
10/10 armies suggest keeping an arsenal. I have read that sometimes police seize handguns from open carriers and it may take a while to get them back. I have also read that sometimes firearms fail to function properly. Sometimes government agencies will come door to door and seize firearms they find.

How many handguns should the open carrier have at their disposal in their arsenal?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Whoa....

10/10 armies suggest keeping an arsenal. I have read that sometimes police seize handguns from open carriers and it may take a while to get them back. I have also read that sometimes firearms fail to function properly. Sometimes government agencies will come door to door and seize firearms they find.

How many handguns should the open carrier have at their disposal in their arsenal?

There's a limit? :question:

45acpForMe

That is an easy question to answer!
One more than you currently have, then repeat! :monkey

Thundar

An arsenal should be seizure proof. Make sure some of your firearms and the corresponding ammunition are stored in places that are beyond the arbitrary and tyrannical actions of government gun grabbers.

There are articles on the internet about how to store firearms for the long term.

The arsenal is a lot of fun, but do not underestimate the work required to maintain it.

There is something great about buying more firearms than you could possibly use in any given situation. It is the feeling of......freedom!

Last edited:

45acpForMe

I maintain more than I need simply because if or when the SHTF it will be nice to arm family, friends, neighbors & have something to trade for food or other necessities.

So how many ears of corn do I get for a box of ammo these days? ;)

Jack House

I maintain more than I need simply because if or when the SHTF it will be nice to arm family, friends, neighbors & have something to trade for food or other necessities.

So how many ears of corn do I get for a box of ammo these days? ;)
These days? We only accept gold, thanks.

XD40coyote

Well they can take the .40, then if it happened again, the 9mm, and after that I have the .22, and I can nail a fox in the heart with that. That low recoil thing really helps, and .22's can be just as deadly ( with my tight fox heart groupings). In fact I'll trade the pelts of those foxes for a new handgun LOL. In the olden days, besides gold, you could trade in tobacco and/or furs.

balackolama

Well they can take the .40, then if it happened again, the 9mm, and after that I have the .22, and I can nail a fox in the heart with that. That low recoil thing really helps, and .22's can be just as deadly ( with my tight fox heart groupings). In fact I'll trade the pelts of those foxes for a new handgun LOL. In the olden days, besides gold, you could trade in tobacco and/or furs.

what about chickens for checkups

Kirbinator

In the event that you have a firearm seized, it is a good idea to have a second that you may use for familiarity's sake until your first firearm is returned. For instance, if your standard carry is a military load-out of an M1911, you'd want to have two M1911s and four magazines. One M1911 and two magazines would be kept at home. Of course, if you decide to carry your own insurance, you're taking the risk that not one, but two guns will be seized: your OC gun and your concealed-carried backup gun.

The joking rule of thumb is keep adding guns until it interferes with your life/movement, then subtract one. Practically speaking, I see no reason to carry less than two. If your OC weapon is taken from you, you can pull from an ankle holster and take out a BG; he is now armed with your gun. Or you can brandish the firearm and tell him to drop your (OC carry) gun.

me812

IMO, one handgun is enough for an arsenal, and maybe two if you like to alternate between OC and CC. I myself have an LCP for CC and a .357 Magnum Speed Six for OC.

markand

I'm with Kirbinator

I've always believed its a good idea to have more than one gun identical, or very similar, to your primary carry gun. If you ever use the primary carry gun to defend yourself, police are going to take it for days, weeks, months or years. You may or may not ever get it back. The last thing you want is to have shot an assailant and be without a gun to protect yourself because yours is being held by police. Bad guys have family, friends and "business associates" who might not be very happy you've put a few holes in your assailant. They might even come looking for you to exact retribution. This is the worst time to be without the means to protect yourself. And if your primary gun is a semi-auto, you don't want to have to switch to a revolver. Life is going to be stressful enough without having to make such a radical switch in firearms. I'd prefer to have an exact, or almost exact, duplicate of the primary carry gun.

I usually carry a SIG P-229, so other classic SIG's are perfect. The P228 is almost identical in size, just 9mm instead of .40/.357 SIG. Fits the same holster. P-220 is a bit longer in the slide, but fits many of the same holsters. The P239, 245, 226 and 230/232 all have controls that are almost identical to one another.

I also have several holsters, in both left and right hand configuration. This turned out to be a really good idea. I broke the pinkie finger on my shooting (left) hand two summers ago. Nasty injury. The middle bone of the finger shattered into many pieces. Surgeon said there were more bone fragments on the x-ray than he could count. Treatment involved a surgically implanted, external appliance, so use of the left hand was out of the question for months. Fortunately, I just switched to the right hand holster and was back in business as soon as I was off the painkillers. I frequently practice both left and right handed shooting at the range, so the switch wasn't all that bad.

The other criteria is money. If you have money in the bank, you don't have enough guns, magazines, holsters and ammo.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP If you have money in the bank, you don't have enough guns, magazines, holsters and ammo.

But what about all those benevolent bankers who need that money in their bank? Are you trying to ruin the economy worse than the bankers already did? Come on! Who is going to play with derivatives? And, the banks can't possibly run a fractional reserve fraud without loans...um..."deposits" from the peasantry. How unAmerican.

<sarcasm off>

Last edited: