• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry, how many guns should I have in my arsenal?

Ruger .454

We all agree that more than one is better than just one. And the Constitution agrees where it says that we have the right to keep and bear ARMS (plural).

But I think it's also a personal question that depends on your personality and sensibilities, the laws of your state of residence, the crime rate and risks associated with where you live and routinely travel, etc. Here's my own single-data-point as an example. I bought a Baretta model 92S (9mm) about a year before it was adopted by the US military. I carried it only occasionally because it's really a difficult weapon to carry comfortably. After a few years of watching the demographics and crime rate change, I decided to get something that I could carry more easily and comfortably - a Glock model 27 (.40 S&W). Regardless of the type of holster, and of course I have several, a subcompact like that can be comfortably carried all day. And then I started climbing in the Rockies with my daughter every summer. I knew that a .40 S&W weapon was insufficient, so that's why I wound up with a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. My experience, then, is that you buy new weapons as your circumstances change.

45acpForMe

We all agree that more than one is better than just one. And the Constitution agrees where it says that we have the right to keep and bear ARMS (plural). <snip> My experience, then, is that you buy new weapons as your circumstances change.

Often when someone is deciding between two guns I suggest getting them both. ;-) First time buyers and people with limited funds try to get ONE gun that can do everything. I remind them that you can own more than one and trying to get one gun for every form of carry isn't always necessary.

I started buying smaller and smaller guns to CC comfortably, then when discovered OC-ing started buying bigger guns since carrying on the hip was comfortable.

The other thing to consider is storage, if you live in a dorm room you don't have much space for that gun safe. :) One of the things that slowed me down from buying MORE is my gun safe started getting uncomfortably full. :) Yes I know I can always by another gun safe. :)

Ruger .454

One of the things that slowed me down from buying MORE is my gun safe started getting uncomfortably full. :) Yes I know I can always by another gun safe. :)[/QUOTE]

I work with a guy who has converted a whole room of his house into a walk-in gun safe. It's a weapons palace!

okboomer

And, given the number of boating accidents around here, unsinkable.

Each gun should have its own GFD (gun flotation device).

Now you tell me :banghead: :lol:

Kwik- you can never have too many guns :cool: -- or, as many as the wife will let you have :lol:

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I love boating accidents, it gives me an excuse to buy moar!

If you know how many guns you have, you don't have enough.

jeeper1

If you know how many guns you have, you don't have enough.

estcrh

When I had to use my gun to defend myself against an armed thug I was not charged but my gun was "arrested" until it was checked to see if it was a "legal" gun or not..even though I had the receipt showing that is was legally purchased and was less than 2 weeks old. Evidently it takes police over 2 weeks to check out a firearm before returning it (at least in La). of course I went the next day and purchased a replacement until my gun was released from custody...I recommend having at least 2 of your favorite guns available just in case this happens to you.

daddy4count

How many do you want?

Personally I would love to have a walk-in gun safe... akin to that Heineken commercial where the dude gets the walk-in freezer... anybody see that ad?

Only instead of green bottles it would be row after row of beautifully displayed weaponry. The smell of gun oil and freedom, backlit shelving to give each display that dramatic effect. And a small table in the center of the room, with a comfy chair.

You need a good place to break down, clean and maintenance each piece in the collection.

Or to sit with a cup of coffee and admire in silence...

protias

As many as you can afford, plus ammo. :monkey

Then everyone needs a rifle that can reach out passed a mile. :D

heresyourdipstickjimmy

First, you do not have an arsenal...you have a private collection. ;)

You can never have too many. Remember one major rule post-incident...LEOs will likely seize your firearm if it was used in self defense, it may be temporary or it may be for an extended period of time, so you'll need to make sure you have an extra or a few.

A wise man once told me: "Why have several magazines that fit one gun when you can have several guns that fit one magazine...I have on magazine for each gun and one gun for each magazine...you do the math."