• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bass Pro ~ Open Carry Policy

estcrh

NRA: Thanks for your comments. I have no problem standing for what's right. I also have learned one must be ready to pay the cost, much more than they could ever image, for ones actions. I have a wife and children, before I do anything, anything, that would put them in jeopardy, I count the cost. Not to make this a big deal, but one may remember that in today's society things can get very dicy and very expensive (lawyer cost, etc.) very quickly, that could cost you your job, being able to be with your family because someone is in jail, cannot pay your bills, etc. Believe me, I know someone that is going through this right now.

Not saying don't stand, just saying, just be ready for things to go totally wrong and prepared to have people fabricating all kinds of lies about you in a court of law and going into your personal life in a court of law also. Like, how many guns do you have? How many miltary style weapons do you own? Things can turn into a big pile of *&^^). Yes, this can be the case with anything in life just about. But, especially when it comes to walking around with a sidearm on you in today's society and walking in a place of business.

Again, not saying be fearful, actually be proud of what right you have, but be darn sure you can hang when the proverbial ^%$## hits the fan and things go where you could have possibly never dreamed of.

This nation has gotten in the position it is in now over many years. I would like for this situation to change quick as possible. It's going to take generations, in my opinion, with very diligent effort to turn it back to what it should be. Make sure we vote at the ballot box for the right candiate and make sure you are exercising your Constitutional rights as often as you can.

Charlie12; I think that is a great idea! I will call corporate and see if I can get an emailed clarification on their position and ask them to put more emphasis with regard to all their managers getting a firmer understanding of their open carry corporate policy.
You will find that certain people on the forum will try to push others to take risks that they themselves are not willing to take. They will try to get someone to be some kind of a court test case while they sit back and watch..not very ethical in my view.

NRAMARINE

You will find that certain people on the forum will try to push others to take risks that they themselves are not willing to take. They will try to get someone to be some kind of a court test case while they sit back and watch..not very ethical in my view.

You will also find that other people only make assumptions and accusations. As I said, I've oc'd in there plenty of times and NEVER had a problem. In fact I went in there last night oc'ing, bought some parts and cleaning supplies, asked an employee upstairs where to find some stuff for a camelbak rig, no comments no problems.

Semper Fidelis

Last edited:

Paul E. Blouin

You will also find that other people only make assumptions and accusations. As I said, I've oc'd in there plenty of times and NEVER had a problem. In fact I went in there last night oc'ing, bought some parts and cleaning supplies, asked an employee upstairs where to find some stuff for a camelbak rig, no comments no problems.

Semper Fidelis

Did you happen to see Bert, one of the store managers? Could have let him know.....maybe that would have helped him to better serve his customers in the future.

what do you carry (rig type/S-auto type assuming semi-auto)

paul@paul-fisher.com

I will call corporate and see if I can get an emailed clarification on their position and ask them to put more emphasis with regard to all their managers getting a firmer understanding of their open carry corporate policy.

I guess I don't understand. This kinda reminds me of 'A few Good Men' where Demi Moore keeps asking the same question over and over.

Did you not see the memo from Mike Stollenwerk?

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ry+L.+Whiteley

Bass Pro. Inc. Clarifies Policy “ Open Carry Welcome!

June 2009
OpenCarry.org (OCDO) is pleased to announce that Bass Pro Inc. advised OCDO co-founder Mike Stollenwerk by telephone today that open carry of holstered handguns is as welcome as concealed carry provided all federal and state laws are followed.

After being contacted by OpenCarry.org (and apparently some of our almost 20,000 some thousand members) about sporadic inconsistent treatment of open carriers at some Bass Pro shops, Bass Pro’s Manager of Communications Larry L. Whiteley asked OCDO co-founder Mike Stollenwerk for more background information and some time to straighten things out.

Stollenwerk advised Whitely two weeks ago that open carry is legal in most states, usually without a permit, and that Sportsmans™ Warehouse and Cabelas have adopted clear corporate policies welcoming open carriers in their stores just as they do concealed carriers. Further Stollenwerk noted, its better to adopt one clear corporate policy than allow individual employees make up store rules or give legal advice to customers, i.e., the proverbial but well meaning, psst, hey, you gotta cover that up, its the kind of thing, which can get gun owners in trouble for breaking the law and unlawfully concealing (e.g., in Wisconsin where no permit to conceal is even issued).

Well today Mr. Whiteley called and confirmed that Bass Pro's policy is and always was� to be to respect lawful customer gun carry, concealed or open, and that steps the following steps are being taken to ensure this policy is understood by all managers and employees, including production and distribution of training videos as well re-drafting of signage pertaining to guns.

OpenCarry.org is pleased that Bass Pro. joins both Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabelas in clarifying to OpenCarry.org that open carry is welcome in their stores as a matter of corporate policy.

I guess why do YOU need a specific memo addressed to you? Just tell Bert to call his bosses bosses boss Larry L. Whiteley.

Paul E. Blouin

I guess I don't understand. This kinda reminds me of 'A few Good Men' where Demi Moore keeps asking the same question over and over.

Did you not see the memo from Mike Stollenwerk?

I guess why do YOU need a specific memo addressed to you? Just tell Bert to call his bosses bosses boss Larry L. Whiteley.

Sorry, I don't know about the "A few good men" deal; I don't nor my family take to looking at trashy Holly Wood films, so I haven't seen it buddy! Sorry! Nor would I care to know about Demi Moore and her kind, my friend.

The question is, "Did Bert see the memo"? I'm going to Bass Pro in about an hour or two. I'm not worried about open carrying. That's going to be what it's going to be. Kinda like, whether I'm going to be alive tomorrow or not. Only God knows that, so I don't worry about it from THAT PERSPECTIVE! What I'm trying to do, is not worry about open carrying or not, but when I can "map" a path out in front of me, I do, when I cannot I don't and I don't worry about it neither. This is more about educating the store managers at Bass Pro, than educating me. That was the whole point of my original post! Not going to go over the whole "when my family is with me thing in the above threads"...did you read those before you posted to me?

Anyway, I'm getting ready to visit Bass Pro in about an hour or two with my family after we finish lunch. I'll call ahead and see what they say this time and then ask to speak to Bert once it is clarified.

paul@paul-fisher.com

The question is, "Did Bert see the memo"? I'm going to Bass Pro in about an hour or two. I'm not worried about open carrying. That's going to be what it's going to be. Kinda like, whether I'm going to be alive tomorrow or not. Only God knows that, so I don't worry about it from THAT PERSPECTIVE! What I'm trying to do, is not worry about open carrying or not, but when I can "map" a path out in front of me, I do, when I cannot I don't and I don't worry about it neither. This is more about educating the store managers at Bass Pro, than educating me. That was the whole point of my original post! Not going to go over the whole "when my family is with me thing in the above threads"...did you read those before you posted to me?

Anyway, I'm getting ready to visit Bass Pro in about an hour or two with my family after we finish lunch. I'll call ahead and see what they say this time and then ask to speak to Bert once it is clarified.

Why don't you just print out the memo and give it to Bert? I know he can't call Corporate today but then at least he has the information to call tomorrow and get educated NOW. It just seems this has dragged on.

Yes, I read the whole thread including about your family.

Paul E. Blouin

Why don't you just print out the memo and give it to Bert? I know he can't call Corporate today but then at least he has the information to call tomorrow and get educated NOW. It just seems this has dragged on.

Yes, I read the whole thread including about your family.

Sir, I don't feel this has "dragged on". But I do appreciate and respect your comments and point of view.

I just spoke to head of security at the Denham Springs, La Bass Pro store. Her name is Jill Claus (sp?). She was very helpful and informative. First, I asked for Bert, but the service desk, who answered the phone, said she had not seen him today. She asked, what was it that I needed help with. So I explained to her what was I was calling about. She proceeded to tell me that I would need to unholster the weapon, allow it to be checked, if it was loaded, it would need to be unloaded, magazine taken out and then reholstered. (Okay, that's not going to get it!) So, I proceeded to explain to her what her corporate policy is. She proceeded to brush me off and try to put me into someone's voice mail. (That's not going to get it either). So I proceeded to head of security, which is when Ms. Jill Claus comes in. Very, very helpful. I told her who I was and what I was trying to do with call. She really appreciated the information regarding Bert and the front desk misunderstanding of corporate policy and indicated that Bass Pro follows Louisiana Law and she verified that Bass Pro has no problem with an individuial carrying a pistol in a holster as Louisiana Law allows. She also said, if anyone has any problem with you open carrying (at the turnsiles as you enter the facility) then please have them request my assistance.

This effort is not for me as it is for the people that come after me. Sorry this possibly upsets or doesn't make other people on this forum "happy" but its what I think is needed to turn this around for the people that come after me trying to do the same.

Hey, I could be wrong and in time I'm sure I'll figure that out if it is true!

NRAMARINE

Did you happen to see Bert, one of the store managers? Could have let him know.....maybe that would have helped him to better serve his customers in the future.

what do you carry (rig type/S-auto type assuming semi-auto)

I've never actually met Bert to my knowledge. As I stated I had a brief conversation with who I believe was the store mgr. ( white shirt, very official looking) near the registers. I carry a glock 19, fobus paddle holster to accomodate a glock light. Crimson trace lasergrips, however last night, I was trying a new rig, the 19 in a blackhawk sportster serpa holster, no light.

Who did you speak to prior to Ms. Claus? Are you going to oc during your visit today?

Paul E. Blouin

I've never actually met Bert to my knowledge. As I stated I had a brief conversation with who I believe was the store mgr. ( white shirt, very official looking) near the registers. I carry a glock 19, fobus paddle holster to accomodate a glock light. Crimson trace lasergrips, however last night, I was trying a new rig, the 19 in a blackhawk sportster serpa holster, no light.

Who did you speak to prior to Ms. Claus? Are you going to oc during your visit today?

Actually I did visit there tonight as I mentioned earlier with family in-tow. No problem, carrying a blackhawk, level 1, CQC, C1311, Glock 27 with extended mag. with backup TEX-LOK carrying extra mag. As I said, no problems. All over the store, by the boats, the guns, the archery area, etc. No big deal really; not looking for one anyway.

Oh and I almost forgot, did purchase ($283 smackers) a beginners compound (Genesis single Cam style) for my daughter. Man, there ain't nothing cheap anymore! My wife wanted to buy one of the bow riders, Tahoe model. That place is like Walmart, can't get out of there without spending $$$$$.

charlie12

Ok I talked to the girl I know that works at BP last night again.
She told me about the same thing Paul said they told him. She said her manager tells them if you are OC'ing to ask if you're a LEO. If not you have to go outside and unload.

I tried to tell her their policy, what is so damn hard that the BP people can't inform their people of the policy. I wonder if they need the public to come to one of their store meetings to explain Co. policy to them.

sraacke

This effort is not for me as it is for the people that come after me. Sorry this possibly upsets or doesn't make other people on this forum "happy" but its what I think is needed to turn this around for the people that come after me trying to do the same.
You seem to be having all sorts of problems which I have never encountered while at Bass Pro. Several of us on this forum have shopped at that Bass Pro while OCing and have not had a single issue. It makes me wonder what is different from our techniques and yours.

turbodog

Sir, I don't feel this has "dragged on". But I do appreciate and respect your comments and point of view.
So I proceeded to head of security, which is when Ms. Jill Claus comes in. Very, very helpful. I told her who I was and what I was trying to do with call. She really appreciated the information regarding Bert and the front desk misunderstanding of corporate policy and indicated that Bass Pro follows Louisiana Law and she verified that Bass Pro has no problem with an individuial carrying a pistol in a holster as Louisiana Law allows. She also said, if anyone has any problem with you open carrying (at the turnsiles as you enter the facility) then please have them request my assistance.

Ok, so I hope everybody notes the above quote and will now cease and desist calling Bass pro about their policy on firearm carry inside a Bass Pro store.

barf

I called BP this morning to inquire about whether they are considering a name change, you know, with this whole oil spill business dragging on in the gulf and BP responsible for it and all. They didn't really understand why I was calling, so I told them that I would be in the store later today to talk to their management about it while I'm OC-ing. They didn't really understand what OC-ing is either, so I may have to brief them on that as well, and I guess I'll probably delve into the whole axis of evil thing too while I'm there.

NRAMARINE

Actually I did visit there tonight as I mentioned earlier with family in-tow. No problem, carrying a blackhawk, level 1, CQC, C1311, Glock 27 with extended mag. with backup TEX-LOK carrying extra mag. As I said, no problems. All over the store, by the boats, the guns, the archery area, etc. No big deal really; not looking for one anyway.

Oh and I almost forgot, did purchase ($283 smackers) a beginners compound (Genesis single Cam style) for my daughter. Man, there ain't nothing cheap anymore! My wife wanted to buy one of the bow riders, Tahoe model. That place is like Walmart, can't get out of there without spending $$$$$.

Did the greeter say anything to you? If not I vote case closed and we stop bugging these people. We don't want them to go the other way just because of harassment. We are supposed to be showing people we aren't after attention, we're just going about our day oc'ing.

Semper Fidelis

damienrr

NRA: Thanks for your comments. I have no problem standing for what's right. I also have learned one must be ready to pay the cost, much more than they could ever image, for ones actions. I have a wife and children, before I do anything, anything, that would put them in jeopardy, I count the cost. Not to make this a big deal, but one may remember that in today's society things can get very dicy and very expensive (lawyer cost, etc.) very quickly, that could cost you your job, being able to be with your family because someone is in jail, cannot pay your bills, etc. Believe me, I know someone that is going through this right now.

Not saying don't stand, just saying, just be ready for things to go totally wrong and prepared to have people fabricating all kinds of lies about you in a court of law and going into your personal life in a court of law also. Like, how many guns do you have? How many miltary style weapons do you own? Things can turn into a big pile of *&^^). Yes, this can be the case with anything in life just about. But, especially when it comes to walking around with a sidearm on you in today's society and walking in a place of business.

Again, not saying be fearful, actually be proud of what right you have, but be darn sure you can hang when the proverbial ^%$## hits the fan and things go where you could have possibly never dreamed of.

This nation has gotten in the position it is in now over many years. I would like for this situation to change quick as possible. It's going to take generations, in my opinion, with very diligent effort to turn it back to what it should be. Make sure we vote at the ballot box for the right candiate and make sure you are exercising your Constitutional rights as often as you can.

Charlie12; I think that is a great idea! I will call corporate and see if I can get an emailed clarification on their position and ask them to put more emphasis with regard to all their managers getting a firmer understanding of their open carry corporate policy.

Paul, like it or not, when we oc in public it draws attention both good and bad. If you are worried about a situation arising from the act of ocing while you are with your family then why do it to begin with. Conceal carry. You still have the ability to defend both you and your family and you can avoid the situation all together. I mean no disrespect, just curious. And chances are if your civil rights are infringed it would not be that hard to find a lawyer.

AmosMoses

I called BP this morning to inquire about whether they are considering a name change, you know, with this whole oil spill business dragging on in the gulf and BP responsible for it and all. They didn't really understand why I was calling, so I told them that I would be in the store later today to talk to their management about it while I'm OC-ing. They didn't really understand what OC-ing is either, so I may have to brief them on that as well, and I guess I'll probably delve into the whole axis of evil thing too while I'm there.

I went to BP OC-ing 2C Bert, and when I asked security, they said "Who's Bert?" I said, "No, not Hubert....Bert!" And, security said, "What?" And, I said "What, what?" So security said, "What is it that you need?" I restated "I need 2C Bert about BPs OC policy", and they said "U need 2C BPs OC policy???". I said, "Yes, from Bert!" Then, they said "Who??" And, I said "Bert...BERT!" Security said "Who's Bert?!?!" Then I got mad, and I said, "I told you already I don't want to see Hubert!! I want to see Bert, and if you won't let me see Bert on BP's OC policy, I'll go get MEM!!" Then, security said "MEM?", and I said, "Yes, MEM!" Then security angrily said, "I'm not a Ma'am!", and I said, "I know you're not MEM!" Security replied, "Then why did you call me ma'am?" I said, "I didn't say you were MEM! I said I would go get MEM if you don't let me see Bert!?" And, unbelievably, security called Hubert again, and that's when I had enough. I hawked a big fat lugee on his shoe, farted, and left. I'm going to Cabela's next time.

NRAMARINE

?????????

i went to bp oc-ing 2c bert, and when i asked security, they said "who's bert?" i said, "no, not hubert....bert!" and, security said, "what?" and, i said "what, what?" so security said, "what is it that you need?" i restated "i need 2c bert about bps oc policy", and they said "u need 2c bps oc policy???". I said, "yes, from bert!" then, they said "who??" and, i said "bert...bert!" security said "who's bert?!?!" then i got mad, and i said, "i told you already i don't want to see hubert!! I want to see bert, and if you won't let me see bert on bp's oc policy, i'll go get mem!!" then, security said "mem?", and i said, "yes, mem!" then security angrily said, "i'm not a ma'am!", and i said, "i know you're not mem!" security replied, "then why did you call me ma'am?" i said, "i didn't say you were mem! I said i would go get mem if you don't let me see bert!?" and, unbelievably, security called hubert again, and that's when i had enough. I hawked a big fat lugee on his shoe, farted, and left. I'm going to cabela's next time.

wtf?