• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question about new law - prohibit cc while sitting at the bar area

ODA 226

First, I don't drink. Second, I very much agree that nobody wants to be the test case here.

Having said that, maybe the letter of the law is conflicting.

"who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises"

This could just have easily been worded:

"who, while carrying a concealed handgun upon the premises"

That changes the meaning drastically, and if that were the law, would bring it more in line with what you are trying to say. But it isn't written that way.

Sadly, only because I don't like judges writing laws, I am afraid that it is going to come to that one day, a judge finishing the job that the legislature didn't.

TFred

TFred,
I know you don't carry and drink. Neither do I. I was addressing jofrdo's comment about you being a test case. Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
J3. No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor

So, if the restaurant or club is selling alcohol without an ABC license, I'm in the clear!

Rockbridge County, here I come! I wanna get me summa dat 'shine!

:banana:

:D

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If'n you want shine then for goodness sake don't buy it commercial/retail.

We have recently visited friends in Connestee Falls, NC, that like to hike. They've showed us many, a half dozen or more, old abandoned stills.

aHA!! Just as I suspected! A BATFE agent in disguise trying to entrap me! :D

paramedic70002

While a shothouse serving corn squeezings may seem the perfect place to CC and consume alcohol per this particular law, I will venture to guess that there are some other sticking points involved. :shocker:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
While a shothouse serving corn squeezings may seem the perfect place to CC and consume alcohol per this particular law, I will venture to guess that there are some other sticking points involved. :shocker:
So, if the restaurant or club is selling alcohol without an ABC license, I'm in the clear!
Since we have already addressed the legal issues and avoided them, what 'sticking points' have you?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It's an interesting question but I'd like to interject a real life answer.

When the helmet law was passed, many of us who were much smarter than the system, looked at the statute that simply said you had to wear one.

So we started wearing them on out knees.
I got a ticket as did everyone else that did it. But, But Officer...the law says...

Officer "Tell it to the Judge"

Judge "guilty"

But, But Judge, the law says....

Judge "tell it to the circuit Judge"

I had better sense than waste money of an appeal but others did and the circuits said people have enough sense to know where a helmet should be worn.

someone even took it to the Supreme court I think and lost.

Bottom line is, if you're caught doing the switch and drink, expect to be charged and convicted at least in the lower courts.

Appeals are expensive and the GA will only make the law more restrictive if it is overturned.

TFred

It's an interesting question but I'd like to interject a real life answer.

When the helmet law was passed, many of us who were much smarter than the system, looked at the statute that simply said you had to wear one.

So we started wearing them on out knees.
I got a ticket as did everyone else that did it. But, But Officer...the law says...

Officer "Tell it to the Judge"

Judge "guilty"

But, But Judge, the law says....

Judge "tell it to the circuit Judge"

I had better sense than waste money of an appeal but others did and the circuits said people have enough sense to know where a helmet should be worn.

someone even took it to the Supreme court I think and lost.

Bottom line is, if you're caught doing the switch and drink, expect to be charged and convicted at least in the lower courts.

Appeals are expensive and the GA will only make the law more restrictive if it is overturned.
Hmm... this would seem to come dangerously close to debunking the long-held belief that it is not against the law to be stupid.... no? Maybe we can conclude that while there is no statute, case law would seem to establish it fairly well... ;)

TFred

Infidel

Get Reciepts!

Now, if that barkeep in Richmond somehow infers that I'm CCing -- maybe my jacket gapped open -- and tells the cops that I ordered and he served me an alcoholic beverage, then the cops have a problem ... who to believe?
All I have to that is get your reciepts. He can say you violated the law all day, but if you have a reciept that says otherwise he would be guilty of a false report!

CC'ing as the DD, order your COKE and GET THE RECIEPT!

Infidel

"Club" means any private nonprofit corporation or association which is the owner, lessee, or occupant of an establishment operated solely for a national, social, patriotic, political, athletic, or other like purpose, but not for pecuniary gain, the advantages of which belong to all of the members. It also means the establishment so operated. A corporation or association shall not lose its status as a club because of the conduct of charitable gaming conducted pursuant to Article 1.1:1 (§ 18.2-340.15 et seq.) of Chapter 8 of Title 18.2 in which nonmembers participate frequently or in large numbers, provided that no alcoholic beverages are served or consumed in the room where such charitable gaming is being conducted while such gaming is being conducted and that no alcoholic beverages are made available upon the premises to any person who is neither a member nor a bona fide guest of a member.

So I guess a "club" would include the Moose Lodge or the VFW!

nova

I just sat at the bar at a restaurant with an ABC-ON license tonight. Had a cola while CCing.:)

Last edited: