Thread: Is it just me or are MI laws often "insane" for a lack of a better term?

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Unhappy Is it just me or are MI laws often "insane" for a lack of a better term?

A couple of quick examples:

You cannot carry a simple pine nightstick - but you can carry a 6D cell maglite?

You can buy a BB pistol that shoots bb's - but if you buy one that has rifling it has to be registered like a real pistol?

You cannot carry a knife over 3" or in some cities not at all - but you can carry a pistol (thankfully).

Banned
    Haha you noticed that too?

this could turn into an interesting thread real quick. How many idiotic laws can we come up with?

How 'bout. You can carry an AK 47 on a bicycle, but you need a CPL to carry a Walther p22.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Wink

ROFL..... yep I forgot about that one!

Well, some of the more common firearms related ones... You can't carry a loaded pistol in a car (except with CPL), long guns must be in a case in a vehicle, and registration...

Then there's other dumb laws covering other things, like it's illegal to ride a bicycle that the brakes won't skid on dry, clean pavement, and, it's illegal to have more persons on a bicycle than what it was designed for....

here's more

the 17 year old cashier can't sell you cigarettes but she can sell you ammunition

you can have sex with a 16 year old girl but can't take naked pics of her

if your wife gets pregnant from someone other than her husband the child born of that marriage puts the husband responsible for that child and let's the actual father with no obligation at all towards that child

Children need to use a booster seat, which is supposed to adjust their height for a shoulder belt, even if they are sitting in a seat with a lap belt only

Banned
    There are crimes the police cannot enforce, unless and until someone actually files a complaint, or agrees to go to court.

I found it interesting that this thread came up, by chance, just before independence day.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 07-04-2010 at 01:12 AM.

It's all about this guys.. http://www.dumblaws.com/

Any person over the age of 12 may have a license for a handgun as long as he/she has

Dumb Laws in Michigan
    Persons may not be drunk on trains.
    Full text of the law.
    It is illegal to kill a dog using a decompression chamber.
    Full text of the law.
    Adultery is illegal, but can only be punished upon a complaint by the affected husband or wife.
    Full text of the law.
    No man may seduce and corrupt an unmarried girl, or else he risks five years in prison.
    Full text of the law.
    The last Sunday in June of every year was named �log cabin day�.
    Full text of the law.
    Cars may not be sold on Sunday.
    Full text of the law.
    A woman isnít allowed to cut her own hair without her husbandís permission.
    There is a 3 cent bounty for each starling and 10 cent bounty for each crow killed in any village, township, or city in the state. (Repealed, 2006)
    Full text of the law.
    It is legal for a robber to file a law suit, if he or she got hurt in your house.
    You may not swear in front of women and children. (Repealed, 2002)
    Why does this law exist?
    Full text of the law.
    Any person over the age of 12 may have a license for a handgun as long as he/she has not been convicted of a felony.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    long guns must be in a case in a vehicle.
    Not always. In vehicles, they always have to be unloaded, but a case isn't required if it's broken down, or in the trunk or another area not accessible.

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
    Sec. 227d.
    (1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:
    (a) Taken down.
    (b) Enclosed in a case.
    (c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
    (d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
    (2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

Beavers in Michigan fined up to $10,000 per day for building unlicensed dams.

The state once sent a letter to a landowner in Grand Rapids ordering him to remove unauthorized wood debris dams. The reply sent by the landowner was widely circulated around the Internet as he pointed out that the "wood debris dams" belonged to beavers and he was not responsible.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer Ė I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Banned
    I remember that one.

Quote Originally Posted by 22-250 View Post
    Dumb Laws in Michigan
    Persons may not be drunk on trains.
    This is particularly disturbing as I have never NOT been intoxicated on a train.

Dumb laws

To work as a female stripper at a topless bar you have to be 18. To be a customer at a topless club if your male you have to be 21. To be a bouncer you have to be 18.

You should look at some of WI laws.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/wisconsin

MKEgal is charged with not having her firearm out of reach, even though it isn't law. Some police think having your firearm encased makes it concealed.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...reach-not-true
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

The problem with the dumb laws website is they only give you half the story, or most aren't true....

For example, you CAN buy cars on sunday as long as the county has under 130,000 people, which is only 17 of the 83 counties in Michigan.

Knife Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    A couple of quick examples:

You cannot carry a simple pine nightstick - but you can carry a 6D cell maglite?

You can buy a BB pistol that shoots bb's - but if you buy one that has rifling it has to be registered like a real pistol?

You cannot carry a knife over 3" or in some cities not at all - but you can carry a pistol (thankfully).
    I'm trying to fix the knife and other weapon laws. No one has been helping me on this. I need the names of friendly legislatures and if someone knows any of them, I would appreciate a heads up.

This is frustrating.

Banned
    See the stickies. WARCHILDS thread about the carry chart. The knife laws are in there somewhere.

Problem is we let them make "Lawmaker" a profession and so they felt inclined to make laws as that is what they thought we were paying them for