Thread: Detained by Thurston County Sheriff @ fireworks stand....

Detained by Thurston County Sheriff @ fireworks stand....

Who are you?

Just heard the call go out on my portable.... 1 detained 'carrying a pistol openly'... officer has cpl in hand but DATA can't find it... Nothing comes back to the pistol... (it's a Taurus)

Post in this thread and/or shoot me a PM....

Didn't catch the location but sounded like they said a fireworks stand.
    Last edited by TechnoWeenie; 07-03-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I hate it when they run the pistol serial number. I'm going to have to get a new gun. Mine is right there in plain sight in the holster plastered above the backstrap for all to see.

...electrical tape?

The serial number is actually on a piece that is above the backstrap, and the slide rides on it. So, if I had tape there, then when the slide came back it would take the tape with it. I just looked and that is the only place on the frame where the serial number is. So, I guess I am just SOL until I can afford to get a new carry gun. Even if the cops ran my serial number, I would have no basis for a 4th amendment case because my serial IS in plain sight when the gun is holstered :-<

It's a Taurus PT-145. I really should have another carry gun anyway.
    ... I've got a HiPoint you can borrow *snicker*

Banned
    I surprised they didn't put out the guys name, address, license plate #, carry permit #, or driver license #. In Tennessee they'll always put that infor out over the air.

I hate it when they run the pistol serial number. I'm going to have to get a new gun. Mine is right there in plain sight in the holster plastered above the backstrap for all to see.
    Wear it on the leftside like me, unless they can see thru my ribs, they ain't seeing nuffin!

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

I don't want anyone to have tabs on what I have. So I wouldn't be happy with having my serial numbers taken.
    I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on MetalMonkey's question too.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    I don't want anyone to have tabs on what I have. So I wouldn't be happy with having my serial numbers taken.
    I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on MetalMonkey's question too.
    Most likely a Fourth Amendment violation - Unlawful search and seizure.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Unlawful-S...ure&id=2526856
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

serial #s

unless you are being detained for investigation of a CRIME,,,, the cops have NO right to see your #s!!!!!
    even if they are out on your gun, you dont have to stand still so they can read them off into their radio.
    it is a 4th amendment right against unreasonable search and seizure....
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Hmmm, why?

perhaps because it is unnecessary and leads to the possibility of big brother keeping a record of every number it can get its hands on, along with every other piece of information about you, name , dob, address, first gf's mole location....

Which leads us to pistol registration, which in some states in not legal, and federally is not "supposed" to happen.

Some people just prefer to have their privacy and enjoy it that way.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Though it still doesn't explain why he'd buy another gun because of it. I mean, if it's the only gun you own, sure buy another and keep it hidden somewhere. But buy another carry pistol because of it?

To some of us, violation of our 4th amendment rights is a pretty big deal, based solely upon principle.
    As it should be. The only reason I OC is for the principle of it. Otherwise, I'd CC and not have to deal with other peoples' issues.

This has been a widely debated topic on here and other forums. My opinion is this:
    Well, I am not really looking for a debate. I was just curious as to your reasoning, if it was principal, or if there was some other reason.

Hey NavyLT, what kind of holster are you carrying that PT145 in.

1) in my current holster, I don't believe that you can see the #'s.
    2) I actually don't like my holster, so looking for other options.

They already have my numbers because I bought it new and I don't really care if they see my numbers, I've got nothing to hide.
    I am the person responsible for myself, my wife and my son. I take that VERY seriously.

I do agree with you that it is wrong, and that even though it is in "plain view" that should not give them the right to run it unless they have reasonable suspicion that there is a crime in progress/the gun was stolen etc and simply seeing someone with a gun does not constitute reasonable suspicion.

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    I surprised they didn't put out the guys name, address, license plate #, carry permit #, or driver license #. In Tennessee they'll always put that infor out over the air.
    This agency has MDCs (in car computers). Only reason that info went over the air is they couldn't confirm the CPL or pistol info through the MDC.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    This agency has MDCs (in car computers). Only reason that info went over the air is they couldn't confirm the CPL or pistol info through the MDC.
    There is electrical tape and then there are pre 1968 guns without serial numbers. Most good hand guns without numbers are German Pre WWII and most have a waffen stamp on them.

Do not cover your serial number in California, they have a law against that (No kidding, it is California after all)

The running of serial numbers is not instantaneous and can lead to a 10-15 minute delay. This cannot be justified. It is a fishing expedition. Do not be a submissive subject (slave) and let them get away with this. Be a freeman and object to the violation of your constitutional rights.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    There is electrical tape and then there are pre 1968 guns without serial numbers. Most good hand guns without numbers are German Pre WWII and most have a waffen stamp on them.

Do not cover your serial number in California, they have a law against that (No kidding, it is California after all)

The running of serial numbers is not instantaneous and can lead to a 10-15 minute delay. This cannot be justified. It is a fishing expedition. Do not be a submissive subject (slave) and let them get away with this. Be a freeman and object to the violation of your constitutional rights.
    Is there a law against covering the serial number in WA?

Quote Originally Posted by antispam540 View Post
    Is there a law against covering the serial number in WA?
    I don't see anything about covering:

RCW 9.41.140
    Alteration of identifying marks — Exceptions.
    No person may change, alter, remove, or obliterate the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of identification on any firearm. Possession of any firearm upon which any such mark shall have been changed, altered, removed, or obliterated, shall be prima facie evidence that the possessor has changed, altered, removed, or obliterated the same. This section shall not apply to replacement barrels in old firearms, which barrels are produced by current manufacturers and therefor do not have the markings on the barrels of the original manufacturers who are no longer in business. This section also shall not apply if the changes do not make the firearm illegal for the person to possess under state or federal law.

I guess the question is whether or not a judge would consider covering the serial number with another material to be "obliterating". The actual definition of the word may cover obscuring the serial.

State Researcher
    My Smith 64 requires the cylinder to be opened to view the serial IIRC; it's not plainly stamped out in the open. My old Marlin 336 rifle had to have the lever moved in order to view the serial. My Security 6 has oversized Houge grips that don't cover up the serial, but you have to look really hard to see the last digit or so.

At any rate I will agree that running serials is just a fishing expedition and has little to do with a stop. Since some are determined to do it, they won't stop at peeling back a piece of electrical tape. Given that any handgun bought through a dealer in this state has records on the state paperwork anyway, I'd only really be annoyed over privately purchased guns. Find a good vintage gun without a serial, and raise heck with any agency that starts checking more stuff than they should.

State Researcher
    let me rephrase that. If someone runs my numbers I'm gonna be annoyed. I'm not going to get my panties in a wad that "they know" I own a particular gun if it's one I bought through a dealer. If they run a privately purchased gun that way I'll be annoyed for the stupid and illegitimate search and the fact they now know I have that particular gun.

a simple call to the Dept of Records reveals over 269,000 people in WA have a CPL

I would think that if taping over the SN is a problem, then a fanny pack holster, purse or any full coverage of your weapon would be illegal too...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daddy4count View Post
    a simple call to the Dept of Records reveals over 269,000 people in WA have a CPL

I would think that if taping over the SN is a problem, then a fanny pack holster, purse or any full coverage of your weapon would be illegal too...
    That is the conclusion that those who suggest doing this have reached. The serial numbers are not obliterated or destroyed - they are just not immediately available to arbitrarily being checked.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.