• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained by Thurston County Sheriff @ fireworks stand....

TechnoWeenie

Who are you?

Just heard the call go out on my portable.... 1 detained 'carrying a pistol openly'... officer has cpl in hand but DATA can't find it... Nothing comes back to the pistol... (it's a Taurus)

Post in this thread and/or shoot me a PM....

Didn't catch the location but sounded like they said a fireworks stand.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

The serial number is actually on a piece that is above the backstrap, and the slide rides on it. So, if I had tape there, then when the slide came back it would take the tape with it. I just looked and that is the only place on the frame where the serial number is. So, I guess I am just SOL until I can afford to get a new carry gun. Even if the cops ran my serial number, I would have no basis for a 4th amendment case because my serial IS in plain sight when the gun is holstered :-<

It's a Taurus PT-145. I really should have another carry gun anyway.

... I've got a HiPoint you can borrow *snicker*

kwikrnu

Banned
I surprised they didn't put out the guys name, address, license plate #, carry permit #, or driver license #. In Tennessee they'll always put that infor out over the air.

OrangeIsTrouble

I hate it when they run the pistol serial number. I'm going to have to get a new gun. Mine is right there in plain sight in the holster plastered above the backstrap for all to see.

Wear it on the leftside like me, unless they can see thru my ribs, they ain't seeing nuffin!

Metal_Monkey

My grip sleeve covers one of mine(they won't get the # without almost cutting them off), but one of them is right on the right side above the trigger so it is hidden. I have had an officer unholster me and wrote my serial numbers down. I did buy it new so they "already" have it. Anyways what laws are they breaking by doing this? This seems to be a more popular topic and I wouldn't mind knowing the details if anyone cares to simplify or post.

Edit: When are they allowed to look at them also.

Last edited:

Leatherneck

I don't want anyone to have tabs on what I have. So I wouldn't be happy with having my serial numbers taken.
I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on MetalMonkey's question too.

1245A Defender

serial #s

unless you are being detained for investigation of a CRIME,,,, the cops have NO right to see your #s!!!!!
even if they are out on your gun, you dont have to stand still so they can read them off into their radio.
it is a 4th amendment right against unreasonable search and seizure....

devildoc5

perhaps because it is unnecessary and leads to the possibility of big brother keeping a record of every number it can get its hands on, along with every other piece of information about you, name , dob, address, first gf's mole location....

Which leads us to pistol registration, which in some states in not legal, and federally is not "supposed" to happen.

Some people just prefer to have their privacy and enjoy it that way.

Jack House

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Though it still doesn't explain why he'd buy another gun because of it. I mean, if it's the only gun you own, sure buy another and keep it hidden somewhere. But buy another carry pistol because of it?

Jack House

This has been a widely debated topic on here and other forums. My opinion is this:
Well, I am not really looking for a debate. I was just curious as to your reasoning, if it was principal, or if there was some other reason.

tyguy808

Hey NavyLT, what kind of holster are you carrying that PT145 in.

1) in my current holster, I don't believe that you can see the #'s.
2) I actually don't like my holster, so looking for other options.

They already have my numbers because I bought it new and I don't really care if they see my numbers, I've got nothing to hide.

Jack House

I do agree with you that it is wrong, and that even though it is in "plain view" that should not give them the right to run it unless they have reasonable suspicion that there is a crime in progress/the gun was stolen etc and simply seeing someone with a gun does not constitute reasonable suspicion.

TechnoWeenie

I surprised they didn't put out the guys name, address, license plate #, carry permit #, or driver license #. In Tennessee they'll always put that infor out over the air.

This agency has MDCs (in car computers). Only reason that info went over the air is they couldn't confirm the CPL or pistol info through the MDC.

Thundar

This agency has MDCs (in car computers). Only reason that info went over the air is they couldn't confirm the CPL or pistol info through the MDC.

There is electrical tape and then there are pre 1968 guns without serial numbers. Most good hand guns without numbers are German Pre WWII and most have a waffen stamp on them.

Do not cover your serial number in California, they have a law against that (No kidding, it is California after all)

The running of serial numbers is not instantaneous and can lead to a 10-15 minute delay. This cannot be justified. It is a fishing expedition. Do not be a submissive subject (slave) and let them get away with this. Be a freeman and object to the violation of your constitutional rights.

antispam540

There is electrical tape and then there are pre 1968 guns without serial numbers. Most good hand guns without numbers are German Pre WWII and most have a waffen stamp on them.

Do not cover your serial number in California, they have a law against that (No kidding, it is California after all)

The running of serial numbers is not instantaneous and can lead to a 10-15 minute delay. This cannot be justified. It is a fishing expedition. Do not be a submissive subject (slave) and let them get away with this. Be a freeman and object to the violation of your constitutional rights.

Is there a law against covering the serial number in WA?

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Is there a law against covering the serial number in WA?

I don't see anything about covering:

RCW 9.41.140
Alteration of identifying marks — Exceptions.
No person may change, alter, remove, or obliterate the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of identification on any firearm. Possession of any firearm upon which any such mark shall have been changed, altered, removed, or obliterated, shall be prima facie evidence that the possessor has changed, altered, removed, or obliterated the same. This section shall not apply to replacement barrels in old firearms, which barrels are produced by current manufacturers and therefor do not have the markings on the barrels of the original manufacturers who are no longer in business. This section also shall not apply if the changes do not make the firearm illegal for the person to possess under state or federal law.