• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Happy 4th of July! (general OC/CC storys for today)

OrangeIsTrouble

Well I guess that settles it, UNLESS IT IS A HUNTING RIFLE, or a handgun for home or close range self defense purposes, you may not have any other guns at all in public!!!!!

Cause everyone knows, the japanese were only scared of our handguns!!!!

*hint of sarcasm*

Something seriously smells like wa ceasefire blabble poop in this thread.....*pukes*

flyin_ryan

OK, I'm done, I give up, never been accused of being WA ceasefire, ouch. Gotcha, lets just drop it ok? I am really glad to see OCing all over, and thankful for this forum to talk about things. But when you generalize a reasoned opinion that you don't like as being anti-oc, forget it. Whats the point? Sorry I brought it up. All I was trying to say was that oc'ing an AK-47 sporting rifle could cause alarm in neighborhoods causing some media issues. I know, I know "911, whats your emergency?" "THERES A MAN WITH A GUN!" "Ok, and what is he doing?" HE HAS IT IN A HOLSTER/SLUNG OVER HIS SHOULDER!!!!" "Has he threatened anyone or gestured toward the weapon?" "NO! BUT HE HAS A GUN!!! HELP!! HE ISNT DOING ANYTHING WITH IT!!!" Alot of anti-gunners are dumb and have no common sense, but we fight them by useing common sense and excersizing our rights. Carry whatever you want, I mean that, all I ask is that you do it safely. Just because I don't agree with something doesn't mean it's wrong! Or that all guns other than handguns and hunting rifles shouldn't be allowed in public. Sheesh.

flyin_ryan

MATT85, I honestly missed your "unless it has a giggle switch it's not an assault rifle". I stand corrected. Resind all statements made with "Assault Rifle" in them as that is not what was being carried.

OrangeIsTrouble

Pretty sure, G22 doesn't goes around with an AK in his neighborhood every day and at every party...

Correct me if I am wrong G22, but I assume you did it for the special occasion mix of Independence Day/ birth anniversary.

Hell, it might even be beneficial that some of the guests there saw a responsible OCer like G22 with the AK, also being generous with information rather than some hooligan popping rounds into the air with a lite beer in his hand. Might have even been a pleasant first impression of a live viewing of the "non sporting, assault rifle" ;).

Guns are guns, big or small, chrome or black, or even OD or wooden.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
:lol: Oh wait you really think that is right :lol:

This is the type of thing the older members of this group need to help guide the young that do stupid things from time to time. It is a part of maturing and growing up.

Last edited:

69Charger

I would never sling my AK over my shoulder unless I was at the range or bugging out. Trying to get the public comfortable with open carrying or even carrying a hand gun, is a challenge to say the least. Like it or not. The "Evil AK" is seen as an assault weapon to the public (can you say Bin laden) and will take a lot more than a bunch of guys on a forum bickering about the term, to change that.
Not here to tell you it was a wrong thing to do, and in your setting with friends at a get together it was probably pretty cool, but in general, the AK needs to be only seen (in the USA society) at the range or by the bad guy in a bad for him situation. (thats what is awaiting any perp threatening my family at home)
This is just my opinion on this and not meant to put any one down. This is another great thing about our USA. We can give our opinion. Agree with it or not. Its all good.
Stay safe my friend and keep your powder dry.
Dave.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
OC @ Tacoma Freedom Fair with 10,000 plus and 100's of LEO

Wow!

What a great time!

My oldest daughter and I went over to the waterfront in Tacoma for 4 hours. This would be the largest crowd I have OC'd in and my SA was keenly aware of my surroundings. Video camera was rolling just in case. We walked and walked and walked by numerous LEO, right next to them and not even a word was said. My daughter was looking around and told me that only some of the LEO even noticed my Sig. We must of passed 60 or more LEO during our time walking Ruston Way.

We browsed the booths, bought some goodies, and enjoyed some of the food. Stopped by the GOP booth and looked through the buttons and bumper stickers. Chatted with one of the volunteers working the booth, he pointed out a popular bumper sticker: "You can keep your hope and change: I will keep my Guns, Religion, ...." We chuckled and then I twisted my torso and pointed out the holstered Sig. He responded, "Wow!" and we proceeded to talk a bit about open carry. His son OC's, but he was concerned about harassment. I explained that for the most part any harassment is non existent as by my choice to OC in such a large crowd with as many LEO present as there were.

Later, ran into 69Charger and chatted for a bit, he also had no problems.

Met up with Technoweenie later in the afternoon for a bit and we chatted not more than 10 feet from a group of 8 Tacoma PD officers for 10 minutes. They observed us and were probably more curious to see real OCers than anything. They never said a word to us, just a head nod when we finished our conversation and were on our way.

Also, had a couple of others stop me and shake my hand. Chatted a bit and left them with a pamphlet and an invitation to find ocdo.org and join the forum.

Not one single negative reaction in four hours in the crowd of over 10,000 people! What a great day for OC and I am sure that there were dozens and dozens of glimpses but no one ran screaming from Tacoma.

(any techies have a quick easy way to take my videos and shorten them so they fit on youtube?)

Beretta92FSLady

I see no issue with carrying a rifle in public, although the WA. State Supreme Court FWIU has rule on the legality of it...the person in question lost.

So what if there was drinking at the party. Are you saying that people should not carry when people around them are drinking? Because they would be safer? I think citizens should be allowed to carry in bars, but that is just my view.

A gun shop special "AK-47" is not an assault rifle. I am surprised to read that there are gun owners on here that do not know the difference between an "AK-47" and an assault rifle. An assault rifle has a full-auto option. In WA. State you can go hunting with an AK-47. I have had people ask me why I would want to do that--I just remind them that you can get 5 round magazines for it, and the 7.62X39 is more than enough for a deer.

Here is an explanation of what constitutes an "assault rifle."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle
* It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock);
* It must be capable of selective fire;
* It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;
* Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable magazine.

Beretta92FSLady

The "Evil AK" is seen as an assault weapon to the public (can you say Bin laden) and will take a lot more than a bunch of guys on a forum bickering about the term, to change that.

I disagree. What we need to NOT do is perpetuate the misinformation that is out there regarding the "AK-47" by referring to it as or implying it might possibly be an assault rifle. It is not (period). The "AK-47" in its current offered configuration at the local gun shop is nothing more than a hunting, plinking rifle that accepts 5-100 rd. mags.

People come on here to see what OC/CC'ers are doing on here. The last thing we should be showing them is that some of us have no clue the difference between and assault rifle and a run-of-the-mill gun store special.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
The issue with drinking and carrying is that it can or may lead to stupidity whether you were carrying or not.
Some will have a beer/mixed drink or two with a meal or over a period of time where their judgment is not affected and then we have those who think they can handle their alcohol and are unable to control themselves as seen this 4th of July in Richland I believe and couple of other other places where idiots were drinking and shooting off rounds in the air at night.

My view on this issue is to never go over a couple meaning 2 for those who like to stretch things and never feel the effects while carrying. It is my responsibility as yours to ensure we are safe when the use of firearms come into play be it at the range, home, in public or in self defense.

Playing a role well it is legal to, well if you are stopped for an action by police and are carrying and have a blood alcohol that shows impairment, bingo there you loose and risk loosing your CPL and depending upon the Judge your ability to posses for a period of time.

Is it worth it, NO!

Beretta92FSLady

I am not saying OC/CC while drinking should be legal-scratch legality, it is just plain stupid. I am talking about attending gathering where there is drinking around you. If a person goes to the bar, as I do from time to time to meet with friends, they should be allowed to go into a bar. Then again, I do not drink.

WinchesterModel12

I understandthat G22 had handguns for defense while carrying his AK, but how effective is a slung rifle for defense?
Try taking off a slung rifle quickly and still be able to defend yourself effectively......just not going to happen. The bad guy(s) already got you and would probably take your rifle. Just not a good choice in my opinion.
If that is the only thing somebody were to have, it's better than nothing.

Beretta92FSLady

I am sure he was not carrying it at the chance that there will be some crazed maniac shooting people from a bell-tower. Nothing wrong with Constitutional statements. It appears no one had an issue with it. I am not sure why any of us would. Is it practical to carry a rifle for self-defense, NO. Then again, I think it isn't practical to carry a S&W 500, but do not hold it against the person who does.

69Charger

sylvia plath

Ok, An AK that doesn't fire in full auto is not an assault weapon. An AR15 is not an assault weapon as long as it does not fire in full auto. When the general public sees one of these hunting, plinking rifles, do you really think they know the difference. Misinformation? Saying the truth is what it is. How many non gun owner, enthusiast's, do you think read this or any other gun related forum? How many do you think this misinformation (cough cough) is going to affect? You look at other countries weapons of battle (on any main stream news media) and what do you see? AK. Our countries weapon of battle choice. AR. Unless this full auto, not full auto subject comes up on the main stream media (news, for an example) and get as much public attention, how would you figure this non assault, assault issue be worked out?
Some one who would carry an AK in public would only do so to get attention or is trying to make some sort of statement. At a gathering of friends, well its a way to get attention from your friends. No reasonable reason to carry a rifle. I think it does more harm than good. I am against it.
Dave

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
When my friends get together and decide to bring out the rifles and handguns, guess where we go as a group?

To a Gun Range :banghead: not to a neighbors who is having a celebration.

Sylvia Plath said:
I am sure he was not carrying it at the chance that there will be some crazed maniac shooting people from a bell-tower. Nothing wrong with Constitutional statements. It appears no one had an issue with it. I am not sure why any of us would. Is it practical to carry a rifle for self-defense, NO. Then again, I think it isn't practical to carry a S&W 500, but do not hold it against the person who does.

Why go to extremes? are you trying to water down the seriousness this discussion deserves?
Introducing an AK-47 into such an environment is making a statement many of us do not agree with as stated above.
How many others showed up with their AK-47's or AR-15's? How many? If it is so socially acceptable then how many others showed up carrying their rifles?
Just because the OP did not post anyone objecting to this demonstration does not mean there were none even though they did not voice it.

So many here are working toward open carry and have it socially accepted with open carrying a handgun and now to through in this mix, what is next? Is he going to try and walk downtown Seattle Open Carrying his AK-47, that is the logical next step :banghead:

Beretta92FSLady

I obviously fail to see the difference between carrying a Ruger .380, and an AR chambered in .308, aside from ballistic differences and the fact that one is more ideal to carry.

Just because the public might rarely come on here, and we have not had media outlets describe the difference between a full-auto and a semi-auto does not mean that we should refer to a semi-auto AK-47 as an assault rifle.

I am not making a joke of any of this. It is a serious conversation to have within the firearms community.

I have a question then, where do you draw the line--what caliber of firearm is too big to carry either CC or OC?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Big Dave said:
So many here are working toward open carry and have it socially accepted with open carrying a handgun and now to through in this mix, what is next? Is he going to try and walk downtown Seattle Open Carrying his AK-47, that is the logical next step

Sylvia you answer a question with a question, I will defer until I have a response from the original question.

Beretta92FSLady

Sylvia you answer a question with a question, I will defer until I have a response from the original question.

I answered your question: "I obviously fail to see the difference between carrying a Ruger .380, and an AR chambered in .308, aside from ballistic differences and the fact that one is more ideal to carry."

There is no difference, as I said--they both throw a projectile.

Answer please? Thank you.

crisisweasel

This is always an interesting question to me.

A person slinging a military style rifle would provoke this reaction in me:

"He is trying to make a political point."

Nothing more.

This would have been true before I owned guns as well. Nor do I see making a political point a bad thing. Of all the ludicrous things anti-gun people try to argue for, the idea that not seeing a gun is somehow desirable - that asking to be made ignorant about the fact that people are armed all around them - seems particularly childish. It is like an infant who believes his daddy disappears when he ducks below the field of vision.

So then there is the general public. And we know that a lot of them are going to get their panties in a bunch about it. But the same public gets their panties in a bunch about handguns, which we're all about here.

So my question is whether or not carrying a military style rifle - black rifle - has any kind of specific impact on the open carry movement that carrying a handgun doesn't. Most people don't carry big rifles around town for any purpose but making a point. I am sure there are exceptions to this.

I wouldn't do it, but then again I'm not a big fan of those kinds of rifles as a matter of personal aesthetics (got nothing against anyone owning them at all, even slightly). For me, a handgun is the "right tool for the job" in terms of self-defense, especially in urban and suburban environments.

I question whether the ambivalent or anti-gun public is significantly moved either way by the choice of weapon people carry around. I am open to the possibility that carrying rifles around winds people up in ways which are detrimental to rights but I'd need to see some kind of study on it.

However, it is not also possible that getting people used to seeing black rifles, that they will be completely desensitized to handguns?

I'm not sure.

It probably is true that a lot of people who carry black rifles around have a "look at me!" attitude. But this is not the same as being a teenage drama queen either. It is saying, "Look at me. I carry this rifle and yet I am a threat to no one because I am a rational human being, and this is just a hunk of plastic and metal."

When we open carry, there are multiple contexts and purposes involved. One is to make a political statement - a sort of (forgive me for this) "coming out of the closet" display of exercising one's rights, and the second is for practical or tactical reasons.

It is important that we do not confuse the two.

I just don't like the conformity a lot of people seem to suggest is desirable here, not only in terms of the guns we carry, but how we dress and so on. If I have to dress a certain way, select a weapon from an approved list, and answer "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am" to every question to make an impression, this is like begging society for my rights, as opposed to begging the government for my rights.

Now that being said, I am generally "acceptable" in public when I carry by personal style and choice. I think overall I'm a pretty nice guy, because I like being that way.

But it is important to me that we don't get bogged down in pretending to be scoutmasters every time we're out and about - unless we actually are scoutmasters (or scoutmaster like), or choose to be.