• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Happy 4th of July! (general OC/CC storys for today)

fire suppressor

Happy 4th of July all you freedom lovers out there! Today is our country's 234th birthday!!! Today is my favorite holiday of the year so I thought it might be fun to start a quick thread as a general discussion for OC/CC on this holiday not just for specific events. I'm stuck at work so I wont be able to carry today but would love to hear story's from others who can. A quick reminder to be safe through the holiday weekend. I am starting this thread down at the fire station and have seen my share of stupid people tonight they are out there so watch out! Happy 4th everybody! :)

jbone

Happy Fourth!

Live each day as it were Independence Day.

69Charger

You stay safe out there F S. :)
I will get pics of our days adventure at Tacoma's Freedom fair, and post them up here tonight. We don't stay into the night for the fireworks but do spend a few hours walking around and seeing the air show.
Hope you don't get to many fire works related calls tonight. :(
Dave

lakewood226

I OC'd while fishing at the Steilacoom pier this morning and then while doing some grocery shopping at that lakewood safeway.

Ruby

I OCed to Champion Arms and back home. Went there about 11am and there was one person shooting! I thought it would be much busier. Had a good time anyway shooting my 9 and .45. Had time to talk with the guys that work there. I was there shooting last year on the 4th also. I plan to shoot somewhere on the 4th every year. Hope everyone is having a great time!

.45ACPaddy

Today I'm OCing two pistols, a Taurus 85 .38 Spl with Federal Hydrashoks, and my trusty Glock 19 with XS Big Dot night sights, loaded with Winchester Ranger 147 gr. SXT's. I'll be OCing my AK around my yard and at my neighbor's where he's having a BBQ.

Last edited:

Leatherneck

OC'd the Burien parade. I could feel eyes on me as I was walking, but no one said a word.
Then we stopped at Albertson's and Trader Joe's.

Had no problems, but I was carrying pamphlets just in case. :)
(Maybe I should've handed them to the politician's walking in the parade.)

Planning to OC DesMoines fireworks display tonight. I don't expect any problems though. (crossing fingers)

Last edited:

Leatherneck

The sign at the "check point" listed no firearms permitted. I asked the guy "Isn't this public property?" He then told me it's city property.

Anyway, I told him I had a firearm (which was OC but he didn't notice). He asked if I had a permit. He looked at it (without the help of a flashlight) and let me in. So I OC'd in the "no firearms allowed" area. WIN!

Matt85

i ended up going to a lil party hosted by one of my parents neighbors. about half way threw the party, they decided my pistol wasnt safe any more and asked me to take it off (this made no sence and pissed me off). faced with the choice of spending the 4th alone or taking my pistol off, i chose to put the pistol in the truck.

other then being forced to disarm myself, the night went pretty well.

-matt

.45ACPaddy

My next door neighbor had a pretty decent size shindig at his place, and I celebrated my cousin's birthday at my place (yes he was born on Independence Day!). I carried two pistols, and even brought out the AK and OC'd that for a while. No problems from anyone, just the normal "Is that real?" and was able to educate a few people on gun safety and how they operate, as well as the process of handloading!

SpyderTattoo

The sign at the "check point" listed no firearms permitted. I asked the guy "Isn't this public property?" He then told me it's city property.

Anyway, I told him I had a firearm (which was OC but he didn't notice). He asked if I had a permit. He looked at it (without the help of a flashlight) and let me in. So I OC'd in the "no firearms allowed" area. WIN!

Just wondering, if you wer open carrying, why did you show him your CPL? I would have just left my CPL in my truck.

69Charger

OCed all up and down Ruston way in Tacoma. Went over and walked rite on to Les Davis pies that was reserved for VIPs, during the air show. NOT A WORD out of any one. Had lunch during the air show at Dukes and they said nothing about the Open carry. All in all the OC experience was good but the Tacoma Freedom fair is getting a little tired and loosing its pazaz. :(
Dave
GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

Leatherneck

Just wondering, if you wer open carrying, why did you show him your CPL? I would have just left my CPL in my truck.

It was obvious this guy didn't know much about the laws. He asked if I had a license to carry my firearm. When I told him I do, he asked to see it. He didn't look like he knew what he was looking for on my CPL and he never asked for my ID. It was more like he was looking for an excuse to let me in without confrontation.

As soon as it happened I knew I'd get flack on the forum, but I broke it out because the fireworks had already started and I wanted to speed up the exchange. :)

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
My next door neighbor had a pretty decent size shindig at his place, and I celebrated my cousin's birthday at my place (yes he was born on Independence Day!). I carried two pistols, and even brought out the AK and OC'd that for a while. No problems from anyone, just the normal "Is that real?" and was able to educate a few people on gun safety and how they operate, as well as the process of handloading!

A very good way to bring attention to oneself when open carrying, 2 handguns and a rifle :banghead:
I thought the concept was to carry as you normally would with out drawing attention to oneself?
You did not mention if alcohol was present, which most shin-digs do have and then apparently handling loaded weapons in an environment that is not really suited for it.

I would have told you to leave and return in a more suitable condition of carry as one pistol in the holster and left alone..

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

flyin_ryan

I carried two pistols, and even brought out the AK and OC'd that for a while.

Ok, don't understand the AK... maybe it's just me, but carrying an assault rifle, even slung over your shoulder, in a neighborhood is asking for trouble. Showing off your guns is one thing, but open carrying is about the right to defend ourselves, not to show off our gun collection. I think its great to educate people and an AK definatley makes a statment, but that satement is "HEY! LOOK AT MY BIG GUN!!!! DO YOU SEE IT? I HAVE IT RIGHT HERE! HAVE YOU NOTICED IT YET?" If that is the statement you want to convey, great. But I think a holstered pistol does a great job of deterrent. I want to protect myself and my family, not show everydoby that I can turn a neighborhood in good ole USA into a battle zone. I don't think you should ever carry weapons to show off. Carrying an assault rifle is more for ENFORCING law than upholding a right. Kudos on the educating gun safety and handling though.

Mainsail

I carried two pistols, and even brought out the AK and OC'd that for a while.

Ok, don't understand the AK... maybe it's just me, but carrying an assault rifle, even slung over your shoulder, in a neighborhood is asking for trouble. Showing off your guns is one thing, but open carrying is about the right to defend ourselves, not to show off our gun collection. I think its great to educate people and an AK definatley makes a statment, but that satement is "HEY! LOOK AT MY BIG GUN!!!! DO YOU SEE IT? I HAVE IT RIGHT HERE! HAVE YOU NOTICED IT YET?" If that is the statement you want to convey, great. But I think a holstered pistol does a great job of deterrent. I want to protect myself and my family, not show everydoby that I can turn a neighborhood in good ole USA into a battle zone. I don't think you should ever carry weapons to show off. Carrying an assault rifle is more for ENFORCING law than upholding a right. Kudos on the educating gun safety and handling though.

So you're saying that because you don't understand it or wouldn't do it, that means it's wrong?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
mainsail said:
So you're saying that because you don't understand it or wouldn't do it, that means it's wrong?

What is there to understand carrying 2 guns and a rifle to a neighbors celebration, I understand that it is for attention as it was not apart of the festivities.

I fully agree with carrying as we would normally, but this is not normal.

flyin_ryan

I'm saying that I don't agree with it. I never said "right or wrong", I said "I think", as in my opinion is... Heres the deal, I was writing my opinion, I will let readers decide who they agree with, thats all. I am not trying to stand on a high horse, I carry openly and proudly, but prudently and practically, if you agree with me, great, if not, grab your AR, AK, HK, etc. and carry proudly, and legally.

Matt85

unless it has a giggle switch, it is not an assault rifle

i never thought id hear the term "assault rifle" actually used to describe a semi-automatic rifle on a firearms forum... i know this is off-topic, but i cant stand when people refer to a sporting rifle as an assault rifle. (its like calling a flint-lock rifle a semi-automatic rifle)

im sorry i threw this off topic but its incorrect uses of terms like this that the media uses to attack firearms enthusiasts.

flyin_ryan

i never thought id hear the term "assault rifle" actually used to describe a semi-automatic rifle on a firearms forum... i know this is off-topic, but i cant stand when people refer to a sporting rifle as an assault rifle. (its like calling a flint-lock rifle a semi-automatic rifle)

OK, I hear what your saying, and not trying to get off topic either but... A civillian model AK-47 7.62 rifle is considered a sporting rifle by who? I admit my ignorance on this. Is it defined by law as such? Or is that the generally accepted term? I am a pistol guy and I know I sound uninformed, but I understand that the design of the weapon, semi-auto or otherwise is still for combat, just because its fun to shoot doesn't mean it is a sporting firearm. If I am completely wrong and off base please let me know. And the comparison of flint-lock and semi-auto is a little extreme there. A rifle designed for combat, used by several nations as a primary assault weapon, regardless of what is written on the box or price tag is still designed for the purpose of combat. If you clip a ducks wings so it can't fly is it no longer a duck? I understand the use of "assault rifle" on this forum will propably ellicit quite a few winces and groans, but I used the term in referance to what the general public sees and hears, whether right or wrong. I would love to live in a country where every person born is trained in gun handling, safety, and identification, but look at this side of it. If G22Paddy had a run in with LEO's, regardless of whether he was in the right, (Don't want 100's of replys defending him, I know it wasn't illegal) and it ended up in the news, the term assault rifle would probably have been used. I am not saying the media is correct, but they would have a field day with it. Carrying an easily recognized semi-automatic rifle in public, stating it's your right to defend yourself, would kind of shoot yourself in the foot, pun intended, public opinion wise. The sheeples would wonder what a firearm like that was going to defend you from. Public opinion is still important, I think. Knowledge and understanding by the sheeples means more support for us. I think our exposure recently has been nothing but positive, one big fiasco with a sporting AK-47 could really hurt the fight for more gun laws in OUR favor. Maybe I'm just blowing smoke, I don't know, but I think we are on the right path, fighting the good fight so to speak, and I want it to stay that way.