Thread: LEOSA, Wausau Fleet Farm and WPD, 'Former cop faces charges', WausauDailyHerald.com

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

LEOSA, Wausau Fleet Farm and WPD, 'Former cop faces charges', WausauDailyHerald.com

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/art...-faces-charges

A retired Wausau police officer will be charged with disorderly conduct after he showed a gun and police badge at 1:42 p.m. Friday at Fleet Farm, 1811 Badger Ave., Wausau, Wausau Police Lt. Bill Kolb said.

The officer, who is in his 80s, had a disagreement with another person in the gasoline pump line, and showed his badge and gun, which was in the holster, Kolb said. Wausau police confiscated the weapon and badge.

A former police chief had authorized the former officer to carry the weapon and badge, Kolb said.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post

A retired Wausau police officer will be charged with disorderly conduct after he showed a gun and police badge at 1:42 p.m. Friday at Fleet Farm, 1811 Badger Ave., Wausau, Wausau Police Lt. Bill Kolb said.

The officer, who is in his 80s, had a disagreement with another person in the gasoline pump line, and showed his badge and gun, which was in the holster, Kolb said. Wausau police confiscated the weapon and badge.

A former police chief had authorized the former officer to carry the weapon and badge, Kolb said.

Banned
    Thanks

Banned
    Thanks
    It was a better response than, "What does this have to do with open carry?"

Banned
    Well if the retired officer violated LEOSA. The laws specifically allows active and retired officers to ccw. It does not allow for ocw or using your firearm and badge to intimidate anyone. It is his own fault.

Now as far as the chief new chief not authorizing the retired officer to ccw under LEOSA, he has no say in the matter. If the retired officer meets the requirements of the federal law then he is protected under the federal law. Nothing the chief can do about it unless the retired officer is convicted of a crime prohibiting him from carrying a firearm.

On another note, if he was not ccw but ocw then LEOSA has nothing to do with it. To be honest most cops out there whether they are retired or not think that if they flash a badge they should get what ever they want. It is called badging and for the most part they all do it.
    Last edited by J.Gleason; 07-04-2010 at 11:45 AM.

There might have been a reason for showing the badge, to diffuse the situation for example, or to respond to a threat. Hard to judge from the paucity of information presented.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahRSO View Post
    There might have been a reason for showing the badge, to diffuse the situation for example, or to respond to a threat. Hard to judge from the paucity of information presented.
    Exactly, maybe he felt his safety was in danger. I think people really jump the gun on these kind of stories. (Pun intended)
    Open Carry is legal in Wisconsin so showing your firearm doesn't mean anything. As far as showing a badge that says retired officer, that is exactly what he is, a retired officer. What law has he violated?
    The chief of police has no authority over LEOSA unless the 80 year old is a convicted felon.
    So now the 80 year old has two suits against the Wausau Police Department. One for violating his civil rights and one for violating his right granted to him by the federal law LEOSA.
    He will be taking a nice summer vacation on the city of Wausau real soon.

McX
    what's an ignore list? is that a new button i haven't pressed yet? am i on anyone's ignore list?

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    what's an ignore list? is that a new button i haven't pressed yet? am i on anyone's ignore list?
    Did you say something?

Banned

UPDATE! Gifted a new badge and "the gun was licensed."

Update http://www.wsau.com/news/articles/20...tation-alterc/

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar

Gun was licensed

Banned

Thumbs down

I wonder what would happen to me if I cut in line at the gas station and when confronted show the people a badge and a gun...I'm just a second class citizen not an entitled for life law enforcement officer.

Banned
    Finally some details. This guy is a maroon, what a nincompoop!

I wonder where that gun was licensed.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)