Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now that July 1st has gone, what will YOU do? How will you Carry in Restaurants?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Question Now that July 1st has gone, what will YOU do? How will you Carry in Restaurants?

I am just wondering what changes in behavior you will make, if any. I know this is an OpenCarry message board and I will continue to OpenCarry as I have done in the past.

There are however a couple of restaurants that family and friends go to that did not allow OpenCarry so I just never went. Now I can.. I am still having trouble deciding on if they are worthy of my money. I can CC and go with family and friends when they want to go to one of these places or continue my own little boycott.. I am not sure what I am gonna do.

What are you gonna do

First of all I would guess that most people carry for self defense rather than furthering the cause of OC. That said, carry no matter the mode.

Secondly I like to CC my BUG so now I won't have to stow my BUG when going into a restaurant.

Thirdly there are times where OC-ing gets you in trouble in certain circles. For example, when I take a customer out to lunch I am officially on the clock and my employer is a big ANTI. So while my customer might not mind me OC-ing if word got back to other employees or managers I could find myself out of work. So to CC, I will still be carrying (legally) and no danger of losing my job. There are also some family members that are anti and to keep the peace at their birthday celebrations (their home) OC is a no-no. CC allows me to still be able to defend myself without causing a stir by either not showing up in the first place or showing up OC-ing.

I think that some will stop OC-ing and revert back to CC. For sitting in a restaurant I don't think it matters much, but for walking the streets I prefer the deterrent of OC as well as the quicker access. So in places where mugging or attack are more likely/possible I prefer to OC.

Edited to add: For restaurants posting no-guns signs I will still mostly boycott them.
    Last edited by 45acpForMe; 07-04-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Same as I have been, Open.
    'Till the last landings made, and we stand unafraid, on a shore not mortal has seen,
    'Till the last bugle call, sounds taps for us all,
    It's Semper Fidelis, MARINE!

Maybe I will conceal upon initial entry and order a large menu item. After consuming about half, which is what I would normally eat, I will go to the restroom and emerge open carrying. Their choice is now to eject me or allow me to finish while OC. Eject me before the meal is complete and I certainly will not pay for it.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Play a game of "gotcha," and expect to get got.

Founder's Club Member
    I have and will continue to OC in places serving alcohol as much as possible. For those places that restrict carry to one form or another the CC only places will not get my business as it is restricted to those who buy the permit, but would give my business to OC only places since OC is not restricted to those who pay to defend themselves.

Founder's Club Member
    When I am carrying concealed, I won't be doing the "Virginia tuck" any longer.

Anyway I find most appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    Maybe I will conceal upon initial entry and order a large menu item. After consuming about half, which is what I would normally eat, I will go to the restroom and emerge open carrying. Their choice is now to eject me or allow me to finish while OC. Eject me before the meal is complete and I certainly will not pay for it.
    Interesting approach to reducing your restaurant expenditures. Maybe you can start a list of restaurants offering "free" meals. LOL
    Last edited by gis; 07-04-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Now I don't have to worry as much about which holster to wear, so I can switch from CC to OC - I can just CC all the time if I want to. Heck, I might even wear skirts and dresses more often (assuming I get a holster that'll work with them).

Quote Originally Posted by ODA 226 View Post
    Anyway I find most appropriate.
    Best answer IMO

Changes absolutely nothing.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Open!

ODA, you said your place would honor the new law. What's the OC policy?

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Open!

ODA, you said your place would honor the new law. What's the OC policy?
    They allow OC but I've been informed that he would "request" one to leave if discovered to be drinking.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    They allow OC but I've been informed that he would "request" one to leave if discovered to be drinking.
    Wylde is correct. No drinking OC or CC.
    Last edited by ODA 226; 07-04-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ODA 226 View Post
    Wylde is correct.
    Sounds like a reasonable policy !

No change; openly.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

I probably won't even go to restaurants anymore. The blood is supposed to be knee deep and filling the streets now because of this new law, don't you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    I probably won't even go to restaurants anymore. The blood is supposed to be knee deep and filling the streets now because of this new law, don't you know?
    It's a holiday Curtis.
    The blood is flowing at cookouts.

Tomorrow it;ll be the restaurants.

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Five people are recovering today after being shot last night in Richmond.
    It happened around 10:30pm at St. John and Federal streets in Gilpin Court. Police say the shooting may have stemmed from an argument at a cookout.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    No change in carry mode anticipated - it is after all else is said and done, the best conversation starter.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I'm not sure it really matters. No one has ever even openly noticed I was carrying. Of course even OC'ing I am the picture of discretion.

Now I have a reasonable option of carrying a CC BUG. I'm currently looking for the right holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    I'm not sure it really matters. No one has ever even openly noticed I was carrying. Of course even OC'ing I am the picture of discretion.

Now I have a reasonable option of carrying a CC BUG. I'm currently looking for the right holster.
    I carry my BUG in a Bianchi Pocket Holster. Check it out!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    I will do both, depending upon the conditions, situation, company, and place. The way I see this is it opens more doors and saves people from worrying about having to leave their firearms in their cars because of some situation (family members, friends, or co-workers not comfortable with OC'ing).

I will most often OC because of the deterrent factor and access. My wife will be happy with the new law because she still has some reservations about OC'ing - she is not fond of being the object of attention that she believes OC'ing may create.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 07-06-2010 at 08:00 AM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

It will sure make the wife happy that I can keep it concealed when we go out. But I still plan to do OC when I can.

Smile

Have dined in two different establishments that serve alcohol while CCing since July 1, and have not seen any instance of an armed inebriated individual in either one. Neither were any signs posted restricting the carry of firearms nor the conduct of patrons who chose to do so. And best of all, I observed no violent acts of any kind, especially those involving firearms. Indeed, the world does appear safer, but could this merely be the calm before the storm? Surely thos pundits who predicted armageddon can't all be wrong, can they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast