• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

9mm Self Defense Ammo

KelticKowboy

I need to purchase some 9mm self defense ammo for my Glock 19. Any suggestions would be appreciated and also please include why the recommendation?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
FEDERAL Expanding Full Metal Jacket EFMJ

FEDERAL Expanding Full Metal Jacket EFMJ prevents hollow point filling with heavy cloth and not expanding properly. 9 mm is at the lower end of effective self-defense ammunition and needs every high tech advantage. The bullet looks just like a FMJ and so feeds properly, even for picky eaters.

Regular_Joe

Speer Gold Dot, 147gr. JHP

I use Speer Gold Dot, 147gr. JHP, for both an M&P9mm and a Sig P239.

I have used a variety of JHP's, and have had good luck on the range with most. There are a things I noticed with others, such as slightly more felt recoil (with Federal) and a small but distracting spark at the ejection port (with Golden Saber). It does seem that there are a lot of well-justified answers - different users with different platforms in different environments.

Some talk about accuracy, which can be hard to determine if you only practice within 20'. My wife and I can attest that Speer Gold Dot will help you consistently hit targets at 80-100 yards. Maybe the same would be true if we switched over to a different load, but that is our experience so far.

Research ballistics and reviews, then grab a box of a few different brands on your next trip to the range.

One of the main reasons I switched over to Gold Dot was upon the recommendation from LEO's from different agencies as well as defensive handgun trainers. ("A wise man seeks counsel", right?!?)

__

Banned
Shoot, even I could hit a 100 yard target at 21 feet.

Shoot, even I could hit a 100 yard target at 21 feet. Do you understand why there are different targets for different nominal ranges?

Deanimator

I use the Winchester White Box 147gr. JHPs they sell at Walmart. It's:

• Accurate
  • Reliable
  • Tested well for both penetration and expansion when examined by "Box 'O Truth"
  • Reasonably priced

t33j

Used to carry Gold Dot 124gr +P+ JHPs. Don't use them any more because of the recoil... if you happen to be anywhere near the water in Virginia I'm looking to get rid of them.

simmonsjoe

For my Glock 19, I use either the Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ RA9TA load or the Federal HST 147gr +P load.
I concur on the Ranger +p+.

Many people think the 9mm is just fine. I am not one of them. Ballistic testing doesn't lie. I prefer .45ACP. I am selling my 1911 gov't however, and buying a Glock 17 because I shoot a lot of IDPA and want to get into IPSC. Also it will double as OC weapon because It will be so much lighter than the 1911. I am a big fan of .45ACP ballistics. That being said, my 1911 is so uncomfortable for daily wear, I end up carrying a .380 instead. So what good is superior stopping power if its at home? I'll carry the g17 more often.

But ballistically, if your carrying a 9mm, carry the best you can for it. +p+ comes close to 357sig numbers.

When carrying .45 I used 200g GDJH+P. some of the hottest .45 ammo out there that wouldn't over-penetrate.

Sure there is lighter recoiling stuff out there, but I've been in a shootout before, and I promise you, YOU WILL NOT NOTICE THE RECOIL.

YoZUpZ

Everyone is going to have their own personal favorite, if you go with any of the following, I don't think you can go wrong... There are tons of good loads to choose from, and I'm sure I left some good rounds out of the list.

Whats most important is that before you carry any ammo as your defensive round, make sure you shoot a box or two through your carry gun and make sure it feeds and ejects properly. When I test ammo to make sure it feeds properly, I unload my magazine as quickly as I can (chances are, if I'm ever involved in a self defense shooting, thats probably how I will be shooting)

Also, you may want to find out what your local law enforcement agency carries, as if you are ever prosecuted for a self defense shooting, the prosecutor will try to point you out as "an evil person that was going out looking to kill someone, using evil hollow point bullets that have the highest chance to kill." If you can respond "I carry the same ammo that the police department uses," then that will help the jury realise that the prosecution is full of crap.

Personally, I currently use Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P ammo (because that is what was recommended to me when I got the gun) I just bought some Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 to try out, that is what the FBI just switched to (in .40 though).

Cor Bon DPX 115 gr +P
Federal Hydra Shok 124 gr
Federal Hydra Shok 147 gr
Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr
Hornady XTP 124 gr
Hornady XTP 147 gr
Hornady XTP TAP 124 gr
Hornady XTP TAP147 gr
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr
Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P
Winchester Ranger 124 gr +P
Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+
Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr
Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 147 gr
Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 124 gr +P

Last edited:

sraacke

Cor Bon DPX 115 gr +P for my SD loads. They cycle well through all of my guns including the Ruger P-89DC which is my daily carry gun. They get high marks from all of the testers I've read.

Interceptor_Knight

I need to purchase some 9mm self defense ammo for my Glock 19. Any suggestions would be appreciated and also please include why the recommendation?
The Federal EFMJ has gotten mixed "real world" results. The most negative have been failure to penetrate thick clothing sufficiently issues with failures to expand reportedly at 20%. Speer God Dots have a proven track record. Through your full size Glock, the 124gr+P HP will get the job done.... Cities like Chicago and NY have proven that they will stop a threat well.
Real world 9mm ammo reviews are abundant on the 'net. A quick google and you will have hours of reading.
I personally do not get too hung up over magic bullets. Winchester white box defense rounds are plentiful and affordable with decent reviews and they feed well in my carry guns. Shot placement takes precedent over bullet choice and reliability is an absolute necessity.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I concur on the Ranger +p+.

Many people think the 9mm is just fine. I am not one of them. Ballistic testing doesn't lie. I prefer .45ACP. I am selling my 1911 gov't however, and buying a Glock 17 because I shoot a lot of IDPA and want to get into IPSC. Also it will double as OC weapon because It will be so much lighter than the 1911. I am a big fan of .45ACP ballistics. That being said, my 1911 is so uncomfortable for daily wear, I end up carrying a .380 instead. So what good is superior stopping power if its at home? I'll carry the g17 more often.

But ballistically, if your carrying a 9mm, carry the best you can for it. +p+ comes close to 357sig numbers.

When carrying .45 I used 200g GDJH+P. some of the hottest .45 ammo out there that wouldn't over-penetrate.

Sure there is lighter recoiling stuff out there, but I've been in a shootout before, and I promise you, YOU WILL NOT NOTICE THE RECOIL.

I do carry a 9mm from time to time, but my primary carry gun is one of my Glock 23's which is a .40S&W of course. I prefer the .40 for most carry situations.

J_Douglass

As the OP requested and the other poster noted, we all have opinions but only some of them have foundations in experience, reality or logic. What are the foundations of your opinion, please?

Bald faced opinions are held by all.

Sorry, I must have overlooked that. The federals are what I started out carrying, they were first recomended to me by my chosen local gun shop. I bought a box then immediately put them through my gun. Had no problems feeding or extracting on a brand new weapon. The hornadays are what I am switching over to after reading good reviews about them. So far have not had any problems with them in either of my 2 9mm's. A ruger SR9 and Kahr P9.