• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can someone help me

I was at a fireworks stand the other day and saw someone open carrying. I asked him about it (knowing that TN is not a open carry state as far as I know) and he said he checked with the AG's office in Nashville and he was told that he can open carry as long as he has a conceal and carry permit. I have had a very confersations with a few buddies of mine that are local L.E.O.'s and they all sa that this is illegal. Does anyone have any info on this issue. The incedent happened in Paris and McKinesie.

kwikrnu

Banned
Fireworks stands are not prohibited places unless there is a "substancially similar" sign or a universal guns prohibited picture sign.
There are no concealed carry permits in Tennessee. The permit issued by the Department of Safety is for handgun carry. Carry of a loaded handgun without a permit in most cases is illegal (MISDEMEANOR).

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
In Tennessee, it is perfectly legal to carry openly IF you have a carry permit. Note that Tennessee does NOT issue a CONCEALED carry permit but rather issues a CARRY PERMIT.

See our TN page at:

http://opencarry.org/tn.html

Welcome to Open Carry!

I was at a fireworks stand the other day and saw someone open carrying. I asked him about it (knowing that TN is not a open carry state as far as I know) and he said he checked with the AG's office in Nashville and he was told that he can open carry as long as he has a conceal and carry permit. I have had a very confersations with a few buddies of mine that are local L.E.O.'s and they all sa that this is illegal. Does anyone have any info on this issue. The incedent happened in Paris and McKinesie.

suntzu

(1) TN is an open carry state--there is nothing in the law prohibiting open carry as long as you have a valid Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit.
(2) TN does NOT have a Concealed Carry Permit--they have a Handgun Carry Permit.
(3) You never--NEVER ask for the opinion of a police officer--they will more than likely give you bad information, because they either do not know the law or think they can interpret it as they see fit.

Welcome to OCDO!

Last edited:

RussP

...I have had a very confersations with a few buddies of mine that are local L.E.O.'s and they all sa that this is illegal...
Tell you LEO buddies y'all can't be friends anymore, well, unless they can show you the law that says it's illegal. Now, if they are real buddies, they might have been pullin' your leg. Ask them about it again.

AL Ranger

Can Someone Help Me With This ?

I'm an Alabama resident with a concealed carry permit which is needed to have a pistol in a vehicle. I know my permit is valid in TN because of reciprocity. Alabama is open carry with no permit needed. When I travel to TN (which is every other week), can I Open Carry or does my permit limit me just to CC in TN?

kwikrnu

Banned
I'm an Alabama resident with a concealed carry permit which is needed to have a pistol in a vehicle. I know my permit is valid in TN because of reciprocity. Alabama is open carry with no permit needed. When I travel to TN (which is every other week), can I Open Carry or does my permit limit me just to CC in TN?

In Tennessee anywhere concealed carry is allowed so is open carry. Unless you piss off the government cronies, then they'll have your permit. Since you're from out of State this may not apply.

HvyMtl

Ok. You can carry, as long as you have your permit. As others state, it is a carry permit in Tennessee.

This reciprocity cannot give more than what Tennessee Permit Holders get.

You should be fine. Look at the forum's access to info or look at places such as http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and click on the state to get the info.

Please note: I am not giving legal advise, nor is any forum. It is up to you to look up the Tennessee code to make sure you are not breaking the law... (Google the state code, and look for the state sites which pop up on the first page to read the actual law...)

(Thought one thing, and wrote another... Thanks for the catch Kingfish...)

Last edited:

Kingfish

This reciprocity cannot give you more than what your state does, and gives Tennessee Permit Holders.
I would make one minor correction if I may.

Since TN is a licenced OC/CC state, any state permit that TN accepts (which is all of them) would allow CC or OC even if the home state does not allow OC (FL, TX, etc.) And there are states like AL, CO, WY, UT, others that only issue permits to CC because no permit is needed to OC. These too may OC in TN.

Now I am not saying that an ignorant LEO may see a "Concealed carry permit" and say hey, this only lets you CC. But by the law you are good to go.

And as always...IANAL

Last edited:

AL Ranger

To Those Who Responded...

For all those who responded to my question above...Thanks! It's great to know that friendliness and cameraderie don't end at the state line! Thanks for all you responses! Carry On!

SomeKid

Ranger, for future reference with other states, when you travel, you abide by the state laws you are in. Alabama laws become without use. As a TN guy, I can open here. GA is open friendly as well. FL bans it. When in (state) do whatever that state requires.