• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fist Aid/Trauma Kit

AmosMoses

Does anyone else here other than me carry a First Aid Kit/Trauma Kit?

I have a few, carrying the smallest one most of the time that I go anywhere. When I am out and about around here, I generally carry a better supplied one, and if I am "in the woods", hunting, etc., I carry one that also has some "survival supplies" in it as well. The largest I have is packed into a small yellow "miniature backpack" looking belt case that I got from Wal-Mart. It was actually a First Aid Kit, but I dumped the few supplies it had in it in favor of my own. It is unbelievable what one can pack into that little thing with a little effort and planning. If I dumped mine out, it would be extremely hard to believe that all the contents were in that little pack.

The case for the smallest one that I carry also came from Wal-Mart...a small black "camera case" with a belt loop. It cost like 2 bucks and is roughly the size and shape of one of those real long cigarette boxes, but somewhat larger. Even this minimal one holds a surprising amount of material in it, as follows:

(1) Large Pack of QuikClot*
(1) Survival Blanket ("Space Blanket")
(1) 4" X 4" Pad
(3) Rolls of 2" Gauze
(1) 2" ACE Bandage
(2) Feet of Iodoform Packing Strip
(1) Small Roll Bandage Tape
(4) Small Envelopes of Hand Sanitizer
(6) Alcohol Pads
(1) Tourniquet
(1) Small Pair Hemostats
(1) Small Pair EMT Shears
(1) 5/16" X 3" Plastic Tube
(2) Scalpel Blades
(2) Small Envelopes Vaseline or AntiBiotic Ointment
(1) 6" X 6" "Plastic Wrap"
(2) Pair Non-Latex Gloves
(1) StreamLight "Nano" Flashlight w/ Extra Batteries

*I am currently looking into some other hemostatic agents, but for now I use QuikClot.

It seems impossible to fit the above listed into the above described belt pack, but it's not. If you put the larger material in first (QuickClot/Survival Blanket), and you judiciously pack the other items in and around that (in order of largest to smallest), you can get a surprising amount of material in there. Considering that in the event of an emergency you would simply dump the container to allow easy access to all material therein, there is no need to pack these items to satisfy early/easy access to certain items, with the one exclusion being that one pair of gloves is the last item in, and the easiest to access singly, or first, if need be. Also, under the front flap of the pack, there is a pocket, and it is in that pocket that I put hemostats, EMT Shears, etc., as well as the Nano light, because the light could very easily require quick and single access. I tie the Nano light to the pack, also, so that I can grab the tether to quickly access the light, and because it protects the light from loss...it's SMALL, as you know if you own one yourself.

For the minimal, everyday pack, I simply mentally treated a "common" gunshot wound, and I used that to decide what I would put in the belt pack. It's important to realize that in this instance bigger is NOT necessarily better, and that, quite obviously, it won't matter what you have in the kit unless you have it when you need it, so it is wise to consider this in creating a kit of your own....you aren't likely to often carry anything big, bulky, etc., on a day to day basis, so size is extremely important. My largest belt pack FA/TK is packed into the afore-described yellow "miniature backpack", and when I dump it, it looks like David Copperfield packed it is has so much material in it. It's a FAK as well as a "Survival Kit", and I use it accordingly. I also have extensive First Aid material packed into actual backpacks, with all manner of material in it including small O2 bottle, an AMBU bag (w/ airways), IV Fluid setup, and so on, and that's great to have to throw in a vehicle, or to grab and carry when you know you are going to where someone is seriously injured, but it's extremely important, IMHO, anyway, to have on hand minimal items to treat serious trauma, especially major blood loss/shock. The smallest kit that I have made up goes a long way toward mitigating this sort of injury, and it is very small, light, and easy to carry.

I also include a plastic shopping bag ... which, if you snag a new one off the cashier's rack at Wal-Mart, etc., you can easily fold into a very small size ... to unfold and use to dump the kit out on when you are in need of using it. Then, you can gather your items in it after their initial use. I say this because it takes time to pack all that into these small packs, and in the field you will surely not have the time to repack it after use. So, instead of abandoning what you can't easily cram back into the pack, you can simply dump it all into this bag and carry it with you until you can repack it, or take it home and rebuild it.

sraacke

When I was an EMT I carried an large, well stocked BLS bag. These days I keep a simple kit in a black camera case similar to the one you described. It's just a small trama kit I can keep with me for gun shot wounds or other situations. I am looking toward upgrading some of the items based on what I've read in the Zombie Squad first-aid subforum. Lack of money has held me back from those upgrades. I'll have my kit with me in the car at the meeting Wednesday. I'll show it to you then.

sraacke

The more I research the more arguements I find in favor of having a GSW (gun shot wound) kit close at hand or on your belt if you regularly cary a gun or are around those who do.
I subscribe to POLICE Magazine and there was an interesting article in this months issue on Field Care for LEOs.
A quote from the article-
"It's just another day on patrol. You do your daily equipment check: sidearm, extra magazines, handcuffs, radio, cell phone, wallet, keys....you seem ready for another routine day. STOP!

What about medical equipment that may be needed in a true emergency? Are you ready to deal with massive bleeding from an arm or leg on your partner or yourself? The answer is likely no; the medical kit in the trunk of your car does you no good unless you are very close to your car."
AND
"As I have stated at POLICE-TREXPO in some of my presentations, my dream is for a small kit with the essentials to appear on the belt or in a pocket of every LEO. The Uniform First Responder (UFR) Pouch made for and distributed by Combat Solutions in Fredericksburg, Va., contains products that I believe in and have tested and used under the worst of conditions in my job as a trauma surgeon."

I've also seen the Resq-pak models http://www.resq-pak.com/products.php and they have lots of good stuff but seem a bit pricy. I think a basic pouch could be put together for about half of what they want.

ElW75

I keep a NA Rescue IFAK in my car, a shell bandage in each of my range bags, and a small survival dry box in my car stocked with a few supplies, seems to be enough for me.