• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Driving in School Zones, Securing Gun in Vehicle

J.Gleason

Banned
Charged because I think that the school isn't owned by the city?

Obviously the locality that has the physical school property present has the right to charge you if you violate the GFSZ law.

I guess I don't follow your point. I wasn't disagreeing with most of your statement, only about who 'runs' the school district.

The point I am trying to make is that the school property is technically owned by the city or county in which it is located. therefore it is government owned and can legally have a prohibition of firearms. The law states government owned buildings and this could apply to the property as well.
Not that carrying in a school is legal anyway at this point.

The OP was asking if he could remove his firearm from his open jeep and carry it encased and unloaded into the school. My advice, and this is not legal advice as IANAL, is "NO."

paul@paul-fisher.com

The point I am trying to make is that the school property is technically owned by the city or county in which it is located. therefore it is government owned and can legally have a prohibition of firearms. The law states government owned buildings and this could apply to the property as well.
Not that carrying in a school is legal anyway at this point.

The OP was asking if he could remove his firearm from his open jeep and carry it encased and unloaded into the school. My advice, and this is not legal advice as IANAL, is "NO."

I guess we agree as to the school buildings are government owned but I argue that they are owned by the school board which is a government entity in itself and has no legal ties to any other entity.

I've been reading the state laws on schools and haven't specifically found a cite but I hope to soon.

J.Gleason

Banned
I guess we agree as to the school buildings are government owned but I argue that they are owned by the school board which is a government entity in itself and has no legal ties to any other entity.

I've been reading the state laws on schools and haven't specifically found a cite but I hope to soon.

No shotgun stated that the schools are owned by the school district. which would still be a government entity.

J.Gleason

Banned
I agree, I was referring to OCing at the time. Although even if it were encased and unloaded I do believe that you would be asked to leave, the school would probably go under complete lock down and I am sure LEO would be notified.

I bet you would get a DC out of it as well. But hey I am sure someone will say I'm wrong on that.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I agree, I was referring to OCing at the time. Although even if it were encased and unloaded I do believe that you would be asked to leave, the school would probably go under complete lock down and I am sure LEO would be notified.

I bet you would get a DC out of it as well. But hey I am sure someone will say I'm wrong on that.

Not me. My only quarrel with you on this discussion is ownership of the buildings. I read your statement that the school board is part of the city/county government. I am saying it is its own government entity. So, we both agree that they are 'government property'.

Interceptor_Knight

These days you are right. When I was is school, someone would have directed the person to the Hunters' Safety class being held in a school classroom.....:cool:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
No shotgun stated that the schools are owned by the school district. which would still be a government entity.

Only the public schools are owned by a school district.

Yes it's a government entity. But it's not part of the government entity that runs your city. If you follow the news you will have read how Mayor Barrett WANTS the city of Milwaukee to take over running the Milwaukee School District because he thinks they'll do a better job. But right now school districts are run by a different set of people than those who run a city.

And yes, school districts can levy a tax, but that doesn't mean they are owned by the city. A portion of my property tax goes to the city, some to the county, some to the school district, some to the technical college district. All are separate units of government, each owns their own property, and each is funded by tax money. No one in this states lives in just one municipality. Each person lives in a county, plus either a city, village or town, plus a school district, plus a technical college district. Some people also live in a baseball or football stadium district, a sanitary district, or other special districts. Each of these entities are considered local units of government.

No need to believe me, call your school district tomorrow and ask them who owns the public schools in your area.