• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

funny walmart

Dreamer

As a printer and a graphic designer, I hold the 1A especially dear. Freedom of speech, expression, and the press are my "bread and butter" professionally. So any time someone seeks to abridge another's freedom of expression, I see it as "unreasonable restriction"...

I find it troubling that many 2A activists seem to often disregard the FUNDAMENTAL right of Free Speech (which included ALL forms of expression) enumerated by the 1A. The Bill of Rights is NOT a "Chinese Menu" where you can take one from column A and one from column B and disregard the rest because you don't like them.

If some doofus wants to wear a CC badge, then that is their RIGHT. It is a mode of expression, and there is no law prohibiting it. It's no different than wearing a "guns save lives" t-shirt, or a hat with your favorite gun-industry logo on it. It is a method of EXPRESSION, and they are expressing their (misplaced) pride in the fact that they have a permit.

Personally, I think that wearing such a badge is stupid. It defeats the purpose of CC if they are CCing. And it is absolutely unnecessary if they are OCing. It makes them look like a mall ninja to those of us "in the know" and it projects a false image of authority to the more clueless members of our society that think you need a permit to OC.

I think that wearing or even carrying such badges is silly. I think it is potentially dangerous (getting arrested for "impersonating an officer"). And I think it defeats the entire political purpose behind OC--which is to educate the public that OC is a RIGHT that requires no special badge, permission slip, or blessing from "the man".

But as a mode of expression, I will defend it. Much like burning the flag, I don't, accept or promote it, but I defend their right to express their (misguided) beliefs. Personally, I think such badges are sort of like a "warning system" to alert all knowledgeable gun owners that the wearer of such a badge is a goob with low-self esteem, and is a sad, sad example of a mall ninja and should probably be avoided at all cost.

I don't mean nothing by that. I'm just sayin'... ;)

Sure these guys are doofuses. And you'd better believe that I WILL let them know how I feel about their little badges if I ever see anyone wearing one (hey, I can exercise my 1A rights too!). But the way I read the 1A, it does not exempt stupid, self-serving, ego-inflating expression (which is what such badges represent). Much like the 2A does not exempt "the wrong kinds of people", neither does the 1A exempt expression that is stupid, silly, or offensive to some small group.

The Bill of Rights isn't "multiple choice". You either buy into the whole thing, or you reject everything it stands for--there is no middle ground when it comes to FUNDAMENTAL human rights.

And we all have OUR 1A rights to express to these people how WE feel about their silly little badges, and we should not hesitate to exercise that right as well...

Last edited:

SavageOne

Do a little research on " Impersonating a law enforcement officer". In just about every state, it it Illegal.

And besides that....wearing a "CCW" "badge"...while carrying OPENLY??? Think about this for just a second. Concealed means just that...CONCEALED, i.e. hidden from view, not seen, out of sight. The main premise of carrying concealed is that it is not seen, that people around you DON'T KNOW YOU HAVE IT. Displaying a "badge" that states you are carrying concealed completely defeats the intent of carrying concealed. Does it not. These yo-yo's were carrying OPENLY.

The purpose of a "badge" is to visually communicate that the person wearing it has been granted some sort of authority. Carrying as we do, openly or concealed, conveys no authority what-so-ever. Other than the fact that we believe in the 2A, and take our own defense seriously.

So yes!!!, some goof displaying a "CCW badge" while carrying a firearm, is simply trying to convey authority they DON'T HAVE, and it does put the rest of us that simply carry IAW the law in a bad light.

So to answer your quote....I WILL SLAM those few IDIOTS that choose to pull this crap. And I will report them to LE if I ever see it.

And....Have a nice day. :)

I have researched it in several states and they all say you have to actively protray yourself as Law Enforcement. Wearing one of these silly badges is no different than wearing a shirt with "Police", "DEA", "FBI", or "NYFD". Unless the person wearing it is actively trying to potray themselves as such, it's just a shirt or silly piece of tin. Wannabe's have the right to be Wannabe's.
You have the right to slam them if you like, just don't cry when it's you being slammed for "scaring" someone carrying your gun out in the open, or being told you have a little man complex because you feel the need to show everyone your gun.

And a fine day to you.

simmonsjoe

Yes it is a right!

.I agree with you dreamer it is their right under the 1A. Therefor it is protected from govt intervention. Rights are not privileges however, and being criticized for how you act by fellow citizens is not a violation of your 1A. It is an assertion of their own 1A.

The same as it is perfectly acceptable for some Anti to express his displeasure at me exercising my 2A rights.

It is when you cross from expressing displeasure to legislating against a right that things change.

SavageOne

.I agree with you dreamer it is their right under the 1A. Therefor it is protected from govt intervention. Rights are not privileges however, and being criticized for how you act by fellow citizens is not a violation of your 1A. It is an assertion of their own 1A.

The same as it is perfectly acceptable for some Anti to express his displeasure at me exercising my 2A rights.

It is when you cross from expressing displeasure to legislating against a right that things change.

My point was as a group who says the Right To Keep And Bear Arms means we can carry anyway we like, it just seems odd that there are those who so quickly name call and degrade others for their choice on how to carry. I would also point out that our rights are not just protected from govt. intervention but private as well.
You do have every right to criticize these gentlemen for exercising their 2nd Amendment rights, just be aware it places you on the same coin with the anti's just a different side.

turbodog

Do a little research on " Impersonating a law enforcement officer". In just about every state, it it Illegal.

I agree totally on the stupidity of carrying a CC "badge".

And your right, Impersonating an officer is illegal in every state, but you gotta look at the statutes on just what constitutes "impersonating".

In Louisiana, you could put on an entire uniform, complete with gun, badge and patches that say Police and walk down the street and be legal.

BUT! If you do dress like a cop and then try and do anything that implys you actually have police powers or privileges, THEN you are "impersonating an officer".

It has to do with intent and there is at least one court case that emphasized that. A woman in Florida, wearing a local sheriffs office shirt was arrested for impersonating. The judge dismissed the charge saying the shirt alone does not constitute impersonating, otherwise everyone you see wearing one of those FBI or DEA novelty shirts could be arrested.

So, the same thing could apply to the CC badge thing. As long as a wearer doesn't imply by words or actions that he is a LEO, making an "impersonating" charge stick might be difficult.

Doesn't mean they won't get cuffed and stuffed though. :)

Sheriff

Virginia law is not very clear on what constitutes impersonating a cop shoppe employee....

§ 18.2-174. Impersonating officer.

Any person who shall falsely assume or exercise the functions, powers, duties and privileges incident to the office of sheriff, police officer, marshal, or other peace officer, or who shall falsely assume or pretend to be any such officer, shall be deemed guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-311; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15.)

While it's the ultimate responsibility of the judge to sort the facts out (Thank God!), it's entirely possible that some rookie trying to make a name for himself/herself could charge you after spotting you displaying any type of silly badge and gun beside each other.

Ruby

As a printer and a graphic designer, I hold the 1A especially dear. Freedom of speech, expression, and the press are my "bread and butter" professionally. So any time someone seeks to abridge another's freedom of expression, I see it as "unreasonable restriction"...

I find it troubling that many 2A activists seem to often disregard the FUNDAMENTAL right of Free Speech (which included ALL forms of expression) enumerated by the 1A. The Bill of Rights is NOT a "Chinese Menu" where you can take one from column A and one from column B and disregard the rest because you don't like them.

If some doofus wants to wear a CC badge, then that is their RIGHT. It is a mode of expression, and there is no law prohibiting it. It's no different than wearing a "guns save lives" t-shirt, or a hat with your favorite gun-industry logo on it. It is a method of EXPRESSION, and they are expressing their (misplaced) pride in the fact that they have a permit.

Personally, I think that wearing such a badge is stupid. It defeats the purpose of CC if they are CCing. And it is absolutely unnecessary if they are OCing. It makes them look like a mall ninja to those of us "in the know" and it projects a false image of authority to the more clueless members of our society that think you need a permit to OC.

I think that wearing or even carrying such badges is silly. I think it is potentially dangerous (getting arrested for "impersonating an officer"). And I think it defeats the entire political purpose behind OC--which is to educate the public that OC is a RIGHT that requires no special badge, permission slip, or blessing from "the man".

But as a mode of expression, I will defend it. Much like burning the flag, I don't, accept or promote it, but I defend their right to express their (misguided) beliefs. Personally, I think such badges are sort of like a "warning system" to alert all knowledgeable gun owners that the wearer of such a badge is a goob with low-self esteem, and is a sad, sad example of a mall ninja and should probably be avoided at all cost.

I don't mean nothing by that. I'm just sayin'... ;)

Sure these guys are doofuses. And you'd better believe that I WILL let them know how I feel about their little badges if I ever see anyone wearing one (hey, I can exercise my 1A rights too!). But the way I read the 1A, it does not exempt stupid, self-serving, ego-inflating expression (which is what such badges represent). Much like the 2A does not exempt "the wrong kinds of people", neither does the 1A exempt expression that is stupid, silly, or offensive to some small group.

The Bill of Rights isn't "multiple choice". You either buy into the whole thing, or you reject everything it stands for--there is no middle ground when it comes to FUNDAMENTAL human rights.

And we all have OUR 1A rights to express to these people how WE feel about their silly little badges, and we should not hesitate to exercise that right as well...

+1

tat2ed_guy

Right? Wrong? Legal or not? Either way it is his/her RIGHT to do so. Some people just dont want the confrontation of people asking if they are LEO, most people will see the badge and never bat another eye at them. If it makes them feel better about excercising thier rights and its not ilegal, then i say do what ever pleases you. Would it be any different if the badge said " Legally Armed Citizen"?

I thought we were all here to learn and support our 2A and OC? If you dont agree with it then by all means say so, but i dont think insulting another person is going to earn you any cool points when it totally defeats the purpose of what we all stand for and love so dearly.

I wouldnt personally wear one though.

Just my 2 cents....

wolffe

Maybe they got them so random people would stop talking to them about their guns? I know if I OC'd regularly and people were constantly asking me about it or lecturing me I'd get annoyed too.

I worked as a security guard for a year and my particular company had uniforms that look exactly like police officers in my city & we had yellow reflective jackets with badges on our shoulders and ear-pieces in our ears so I must admit there were lots of times when people would come up to me thinkign I was police officer and expect me to help with their problems. One time I had just came off work at 5am and was at a breakfast restaurant with my friend still wearing a uniform and a lady comes running in right up to me screaming that her store was just robbed. After about her trying to get me to run over there for about a minute she realized I was a security guard not a supercop.

Last edited: