• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a law

Sefner

It would not be something like "attempting to disarm a lawful civilian" or something you've never heard of, it would be a more common crime and depends on the case. Almost every case I can think of (assuming the attempted disarm is unlawful) would be assault (any unwanted touching or an action that makes a person feel threatened for their safety). Maybe assault with a deadly weapon depending on the case. If you can prove that the person had intent to use your weapon on you, they could be looking at attempted murder charges. That's in the most extreme case.

This has happened before, but not in MI. It happened in Georgia. Thankfully I have saved the link to the thread: http://georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=40381

So to answer your question, yes, a law exists, it is a normal crime, assault. The person would be arrested and charged with assault and any other applicable charges.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
It would not be something like "attempting to disarm a lawful civilian" or something you've never heard of, it would be a more common crime and depends on the case. Almost every case I can think of (assuming the attempted disarm is unlawful) would be assault (any unwanted touching or an action that makes a person feel threatened for their safety). Maybe assault with a deadly weapon depending on the case. If you can prove that the person had intent to use your weapon on you, they could be looking at attempted murder charges. That's in the most extreme case.

This has happened before, but not in MI. It happened in Georgia. Thankfully I have saved the link to the thread: http://georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=40381

So to answer your question, yes, a law exists, it is a normal crime, assault. The person would be arrested and charged with assault and any other applicable charges.

Yep, most likely assault... maybe assault w/ a deadly weapon.

kryptonian

charged

you mean AFTER they get to the hospital or morgue? i guess if they're in the morgue they wouldn't charge him. if the elements aren't there to discharge your weapon there sure would be plenty to put the hurt on him. the butt of the gun would make a nice magazine mark on his forehead. they would be close enough for a nice kick to the knee cap and a solid throat punch. you might want to keep some zip ties in your vehicle for makeshift handcuffs too. sorry to sound violent but that's the nature of these attacks and they came to you for whatever stupid reasoning that made sense in their head.

Sefner

If you were to tie him/her or detain that person in any other way, except to get them to stay on their own decision, then you will be in a heap of trouble yourself.

This. You would go from zero jail time to felony kidnapping extremely quickly. There is one reason to tie someone up: they are a serious danger to someone else. If they are a serious danger to someone else, then you have no business tying them up and every reason to use the force you deem necessary. In other words: in every situation that you would "tie someone up", using force to stop the threat is a better idea.