• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

curiosity, confusion and laws. a little help?

groovedrummer

I was carrying my good ol colt from my car to a buddy's house, it was unloaded (completely) in a hard case and the case was in a duffel bag along with a couple of unopened boxes of .45, a holster, some ear muffs a small cleaning kit and a bottle of water.

got me and a friend thinking....

that is technically a "concealed" weapon. so for someone without a ccw what makes it ok or not? the fact that its unloaded? because in the state of Colorado "unloaded" just means no round in the chamber...does it need to be totally away from ammo? does it by law need to be in a case when its concealed from view? is it illegal to carry a cased and unloaded pistol in a duffel bag? where is the line drawn?

we started talking and talking about it and where puzzled...does a CCW allow you to carry a fully >>> loaded<<< concealed weapon? if its concealed with out a permit in any way, does it only need to be unloaded by definition of state law?

IM ABSOLUTELY NOT INTERESTED IN DOING THIS but does it mean that in Colorado if the gun doesn't have a round in the chamber it can be concealed legally?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
For which state are your questions directed...? You might want to post this question in the actual state forum.

*In Montana backpacks, duffel bags, purse, fanny pack - the weapon can be loaded and you are legal to carry.
*In Washington State if you are hiking, fishing or in some lawful outdoor activity you could conceal in a backpack or about your person.
*In Arizona, Alaska, Vermont no license is needed.

As you can see it varies by states

groovedrummer

For which state are your questions directed...? You might want to post this question in the actual state forum.

*In Montana backpacks, duffel bags, purse, fanny pack - the weapon can be loaded and you are legal to carry.
*In Washington State if you are hiking, fishing or in some lawful outdoor activity you could conceal in a backpack or about your person.
*In Arizona, Alaska, Vermont no license is needed.

As you can see it varies by states

My location is listed and Colorado is in my post twice. im also curious to see how the laws very from state to state that is why I posted in general discussion.

Last edited:

Jack House

He mentions Colorado twice and it's in his profile. :banghead:

@OP: Might be better if you ask in the Colorado section.

groovedrummer

He mentions Colorado twice and it's in his profile. :banghead:

@OP: Might be better if you ask in the Colorado section.

I would absolutly post in the colorado section if I was looking to actually carry as mentioned...this is more of a "hum...I wonder if anyone else caught that, or maybe im just misunderstanding things?

eye95

I thought you were specifically asking about CO law. Your last sentence sure makes it appear that way. That's why I refrained from replying and mentally asked myself why this wasn't in the CO section.

simmonsjoe

Pay attention. Laws vary by state. What you were doing was not "technically a "concealed" weapon." in most places. GO TO THE COLORADO FORUM AND ASK YOUR QUESTION TO GET AN ANSWER RELEVANT TO YOU.

Last edited:

YoZUpZ

In your good friendly neighbor state of Utah, concealed means "readily accessible" which is open to interpretation...

If it were in a closed case inside of another bag, I doubt it would be considered concealed... How else would people be able to transport it? call a cop so he can take your weapon from your car to your house for you?

groovedrummer

idiot. Pay attention. Laws vary by state. What you were doing was not "technically a "concealed" weapon." in most places. GO TO THE COLORADO FORUM AND ASK YOUR QUESTION TO GET AN ANSWER RELEVANT TO YOU.

...wow...Im pretty sure this is the first time you have ever addressed a post to me and you went directly to name calling and cap lock yelling...

I just posted it in the Colorado section so you can take a deep breath...

Im sorry I assumed that maybe people from Colorado might read the General discussion posts ...and maybe even someone from outside of Colorado would know a thing or two about what I was asking...

Or if there was an interesting law out side of my state that is relevant to what Im asking...

sorry I caused you to waist sooooo much of your time.

groovedrummer

In your good friendly neighbor state of Utah, concealed means "readily accessible" which is open to interpretation...

If it were in a closed case inside of another bag, I doubt it would be considered concealed... How else would people be able to transport it? call a cop so he can take your weapon from your car to your house for you?

That makes sense! I think "readily accessible" may be the missing puzzle piece here.

WinchesterModel12

no need for name calling

idiot. Pay attention. Laws vary by state. What you were doing was not "technically a "concealed" weapon." in most places. GO TO THE COLORADO FORUM AND ASK YOUR QUESTION TO GET AN ANSWER RELEVANT TO YOU.

No need for the name calling.........he was just asking a general question.
If you don't know the answer it's best to stay away from the keyboard.