• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Indiana LTCH

Yooper

Yes.

Michigan law honors concealed carry permits from all other states, provided you are a resident of the state that issued the permit. If you have a permit, then you're good to go

Last edited:

Underdog

In-ltch

YES! MI honors our IN- LTCH.

Actually MI laws are more 2nd Amendment friendly than IN.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Is it legal for me to carry a hand gun in Michigan with my Indiana permit? Can I open carry?

Yep and Yep.
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-432a

MCL28.432a Persons to whom requirements inapplicable; "local corrections officer" defined.
Sec. 12a.

(1) The requirements of this act for obtaining a license to carry a concealed pistol do not apply to any of the following:

(a) A peace officer of a duly authorized police agency of the United States or of this state or a political subdivision of this state, who is regularly employed and paid by the United States or this state or a subdivision of this state, except a township constable.

(b) A constable who is trained and certified under the commission on law enforcement standards act, 1965 PA 203, MCL 28.601 to 28.616, while engaged in his or her official duties or going to or coming from his or her official duties, and who is regularly employed and paid by a political subdivision of this state.

(c) A person regularly employed by the department of corrections and authorized in writing by the director of the department of corrections to carry a concealed pistol during the performance of his or her duties or while going to or returning from his or her duties.

(d) A person regularly employed as a local corrections officer by a county sheriff, who is trained in the use of force and is authorized in writing by the county sheriff to carry a concealed pistol during the performance of his or her duties.

(e) A person regularly employed in a city jail or lockup who has custody of persons detained or incarcerated in the jail or lockup, is trained in the use of force, and is authorized in writing by the chief of police or the county sheriff to carry a concealed pistol during the performance of his or her duties.

(f) A member of the United States army, air force, navy, or marine corps while carrying a concealed pistol in the line of duty.

(g) A member of the national guard, armed forces reserves, or other duly authorized military organization while on duty or drill or while going to or returning from his or her place of assembly or practice or while carrying a concealed pistol for purposes of that military organization.

(h) A resident of another state who is licensed by that state to carry a concealed pistol.

(i) The regular and ordinary transportation of a pistol as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms.

(j) A person while carrying a pistol unloaded in a wrapper or container in the trunk of his or her vehicle or, if the vehicle does not have a trunk, from transporting that pistol unloaded in a locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol from the place of purchase to his or her home or place of business or to a place of repair or back to his or her home or place of business, or in moving goods from 1 place of abode or business to another place of abode or business.

(k) A peace officer or law enforcement officer from Canada.

(2) As used in this act, "local corrections officer" means that term as defined in section 2 of the local corrections officers training act, 2003 PA 125, MCL 791.532.

Michigander

Is it legal for me to carry a hand gun in Michigan with my Indiana permit? Can I open carry?

To specifically answer your question, as a holder of the Indiana permit, you have every right and responsibility that a CPL holder in Michigan has when you are in Michigan.

N.Indiana

Thank You. The Travelers Guide to Firearm Laws indicates OC is "unrestricted under state law; however, very uncommon except in rural areas". I was wondering how common OC was. I will be looking at the posts on the site too. As you can see I am new to the site.

Last edited:

autosurgeon

Thank You. The Travelers Guide to Firearm Laws indicates OC is "unrestricted under state law; however, very uncommon except in rural areas". I was wondering how common OC was. I will be looking at the posts on the site too. As you can see I am new to the site.

I have found the travelers guide to be outdated and less than OC friendly.

Handgunlaws.us and this site should get you the info you need!