• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone?

cscitney87

Yeah of course I'm always wrong. I'm always the "troll." Because that's cool.... "Hey we don't agree so you're a troll."

Opinions are like ass holes, everyone's got one.

But let me guess.. Your opinion is the only right one.. anything else "is going to get someone arrested."

entartet17

Wow, this thread is ridiculous. There is NO law requiring someone who is CCing to inform a private property owner that he or she is carrying. End of story. Whether or not one ought to inform a home owner is another question entirely.

cscitney87

" Whether or not one ought to inform a home owner is another question entirely."

Although not a Colorado law requiring such- other States have such laws. New York is one of them.

And it's not another question entirely. It's extremely relevant. We've established where and when you can purchase a firearm and carry it to your car. We've established that you may carry cased/concealed to and from house and car on private property.

We are discussing whether or not a property owner is duly and lawfully entitled to know if a guest is carrying a concealed pistol.

We are establishing that we would only conceal to HIDE the pistol- otherwise, of course, we would Open Carry. ... Hello.. OCDO.. Open Carry.. Dot Org.

So if you are HIDING your pistol from the property owner.. what does that say about you?

cscitney87

Like I said- if you are in the public domain- that's a different situation and of course your CHP is relevant.

Your CHP is not relevant on private property that is not in the public domain. Here's an example-

Safeway or King Soopers are private property- but in the public domain- and your CHP is required to carry there. Even though it's private property- your CHP is required because the privately owned and operated business is in the public domain.

If you are in the private domain and on private property- somebody's HOME- you are subject to Private property rights of the home owner. Or would you just lie if it ever came up? "Don't Ask Don't Tell" right? Right.....

Look if you are never asked- then you will never tell. Is that really appropriate behavior from an adult? An adult with nothing to hide? Why not Open Carry then?

cscitney87

I will put this one last way.

The property owner says to you and your friends, "I don't want any guns in my home."

Later in the evening- a police officer is called to the scene of your home to break up a fight.

The police discover concealed weapons on several guests- and asks the property owner if the concealed weapons were known about. These guests had no Concealed Handgun Permits, regardless.

The property owner says, "I told them all earlier that I didn't want any guns in my home."

Guess who's going to jail?

Do you have to tell the property owner that you're hiding a pistol? Do you really want to decide not to? Do you want to hide a pistol from somebody whom trusts you into their home and invites you to drink their drink and eat their food?

cscitney87

Yeah Exactly. You don't think that far into it do you? You don't think about anything besides carrying your pistol for your own self serving interests.

Guns are deadly weapons and to enter a private citizens home while hiding a pistol is not to be taken lightly in any form or fashion.

Same can be said about entering private businesses. They are in the public domain- therefor your CHP is required. In Colorado we have the mind set that "signs don't mean anything" because of our CHP status. That's fine from Safeway to King Soopers to the liquor store to 7-11.

That's not OKAY for the real private property of a home owner. Both are private property- and we must always respect the ultimate authority of an owner when on their property. Besides.. we are always saying how we won't go inside any business that bans guns anyway.. So what's the need?

You just want to hide your guns from your friends and family when you go over their house and I think that's impolite and wrong. That's all.

cscitney87

Think about the opposite.. what you're saying..

"Okay.. I'll just hide my pistol while at my friend's house and I won't tell him about it either. I don't have to because there's no law that says I have to."

"My mom hates guns.. so I will just hide my pistol while I'm on her private property. But I don't have to tell her that I have a gun because there's no law that says so."

INSPGAD

sounds like someone needs to just Open Carry as there is no reason to concealed carry if you go around bragging (if you have to tell everyone your carrying) you just make no sense

entartet17

We are discussing whether or not a property owner is duly and lawfully entitled to know if a guest is carrying a concealed pistol.

We are establishing that we would only conceal to HIDE the pistol

They are not LAWFULLY entitled to be informed. You keep bringing up laws that don't exist.

And are you really suggesting that the only reason someone would want to CC is because of some nefarious purpose? Maybe it's cold and someone has a jacket on or the individual just came from Denver. Who cares? Most Coloradans CC rather than OC. Are they all hiding something?

You are setting up these ridiculous hypothetical situations which have no basis in reality. The rest of us live in the real world. Maybe you hang out with Brady campaign staffers, but has anyone on here ever been over to someone's house where he just randomly says "I don't want any guns in my home"? If they ever did say that, then just leave.

cscitney87

You're the one bringing up hypothetical situations. It's 90 degrees out- no need for a jacket. Most of Colorado State does not live in Denver- there for Open Carrying is 100% legal everywhere that our folks are likely to be (besides Denver). So why not Open Carry in the first place?

Nobody's randomly said "Who's got a gun?" in a while but you are completely missing the point.

There is No Law saying someone has to tell someone they have a gun- but Private Property rights exist to allow the property owner to have ultimate say in the affairs on said private property.

All I'm saying is... If you are concealing a pistol on someone's property or in their home- they should be fully aware of the situation. Death can result from simple mistakes and mechanical failures. Happened before and will happen again. Accidental discharge anyone? We can't pretend AD doesn't happen to people in this so called "real world" that you live in.

So yeah.. you're over your friends house.. Didn't tell him you have a concealed pistol on your person. He didn't ask- but doesn't want any firearms around his daughter. Your pistol has an accidental discharge as you sit down in on the couch. That bullet strikes and kills your friends daughter... all because you wanted to hide your pistol from him instead of open carry (he would have told you to leave it outside).

cscitney87

Now, personally- do I announce my concealed status every time I walk into a 7-11 or a Safeway? No- of course not- that's in the public domain and we are concealing in public for a specific reason- to hide the pistol from view.

Do I announce my carry status every time I enter my family's household? Yes. It's only the polite and proper way.

Do I announce my carry status every time I enter a friends house? Sure do. They have children present. I want to be out in the open about any deadly weapons I have in my possession. After all- they trust me into their home- I trust them with the knowledge that I'm carrying concealed.

Why not tell your friend that you're carrying? It takes 5 seconds and shouldn't be a show stopper if the gun is allowed in the home anyway.

cscitney87

Just like with other controversial topics...

Like AK47 pistol carry or AR15 pistol carry.. or long gun carry.. etc

There's a difference between what's lawful and what's the RIGHT THING TO DO. Just because you can- doesn't mean you should.

After all we're talking about friends and families very homes- if these are truly your friends they shouldn't be to taken back by your carry status and trust me they won't mind that you let them know you're packing heat.

Dynamite Rabbit

So yeah.. you're over your friends house.. Didn't tell him you have a concealed pistol on your person. He didn't ask- but doesn't want any firearms around his daughter. Your pistol has an accidental discharge as you sit down in on the couch. That bullet strikes and kills your friends daughter... all because you wanted to hide your pistol from him instead of open carry (he would have told you to leave it outside).

Are you SURE you're pro-gun? You make EXACTLY the same arguments and use the same logic the antis do. Good grief.

cscitney87

I do a lot for this movement. I also see a lot in this movement. Just because you guys don't agree with me doesn't mean I'm "Anti-Gun" or stupid or ignorant or slow or a troll etc etc.

How in the world am I Anti-Gun? I carry for the movement and post pictures and try to do my best to chat it up here. So what if you guys don't agree with me and my opinions? Popular speech Never needs protecting. Remember the First Amendment.

Yeah. It's in your face maybe. I'm stating that the way I was raised was not to be sneaky and hiding your pistol WHEN YOU COULD OTHERWISE OPEN CARRY* is sneaky- especially to conceal in your family's house or friends house.

mahkagari

Your pistol has an accidental discharge as you sit down in on the couch.

*chuckle* CS, with the number of times you replied to your OWN posts in this thread, do you really think anyone believes you're here to converse with others?

Here's one of those ridiculous scenarios people are referring to. I agree with Ted Nugent that there is no such thing as an "accidental" discharge. There are only NEGLIGENT discharges. I have no doubt that negligently handling a firearm especially with holster-tall kids around can result in tragedy. But, please describe the mechanics of an AD "as you sit down on the couch".

Sure, it *could* happen. Lightning *could* enter the window because you gave their daughter a remote control car with an antenna. How likely is it? I carry a pocket knife. I often have to take it out at kids birthday parties to open packages, trim push-up snack wrappers, etc. etc. And yeah, I am scared to DEATH that a kid is going to run up to see what I'm doing and take one in the eye. For that reason I'm VERY aware when I have my knife out and open. But I see that as a hundred thousand times more dangerous than a securely holstered CC firearm. In fact, I'd be more prone to ban someone with an unsecured knife than a secured firearm from being around my kids.

For the record, I do not agree with CCing into someone's house who is not okay with it. I'd prefer not to go there. On Independance Day I went to a friend's house for a BBQ that was closer than my comfort to the Forbidden Land. I misheard my wife when she told me what area it was in. I didn't carry because A) I planned to have an alcoholic drink, B) my wife's car didn't have a locking compartment in the cab, and C) I knew the family was somewhat gun-friendly, but didn't know their opinions on carry. If I'd known where it was I might have re-thought how to approach those factors.

cscitney87

For the record- this is all I'm saying

"For the record, I do not agree with CCing into someone's house who is not okay with it. I'd prefer not to go there."

We agree. Why does anyone here need to hide their pistol at their friends house anyway and keep that information from the home owner? I don't know about you guys.. but I talk about firearms almost daily so the fact that I'm carrying is a given and is always reported upon conversation anyway.

cscitney87

Okay Cool man I guess I'm limited to One Post every time someone else posts.. or else "I'm talking to myself"

I better not post more than once or twice in a row "or else I'm only talking to myself."

Sorry King of the forums. I'll limit my posting to One time every time someone else posts.

Gunslinger

I was carrying my good ol colt from my car to a buddy's house, it was unloaded (completely) in a hard case and the case was in a duffel bag along with a couple of unopened boxes of .45, a holster, some ear muffs a small cleaning kit and a bottle of water.

got me and a friend thinking....

that is technically a "concealed" weapon. so for someone without a ccw what makes it ok or not? the fact that its unloaded? because in the state of Colorado "unloaded" just means no round in the chamber...does it need to be totally away from ammo? does it by law need to be in a case when its concealed from view? is it illegal to carry a cased and unloaded pistol in a duffel bag? where is the line drawn?

we started talking and talking about it and where puzzled...does a CCW allow you to carry a fully >>> loaded<<< concealed weapon? if its concealed with out a permit in any way, does it only need to be unloaded by definition of state law?

IM ABSOLUTELY NOT INTERESTED IN DOING THIS but does it mean that in Colorado if the gun doesn't have a round in the chamber it can be concealed legally?
I don't know how this thread went to hell, but to answer your question--simply: carrying an unloaded weapon is legal anywhere in CO in a gun case. Carrying openly a loaded handgun is legal except in Denver County with a few exceptions like through a metal detector controlled building. With a CCW, carrying concealed is legal everywhere in CO, with the few exceptions as noted above. Unloaded weapons are not 'concealed' by any statute. A weapon (long arm) with a full magazine but no round in the chamber/bore is considered unloaded under CO law. That applies to rounds in the tube of a Model 94 or a full mag on a AR-15. As long as the round needs to have something done to make ready to fire, not counting turning off the safety, it is unloaded. Carrying concealed and loaded (handgun) in your car is legal everywhere in CO. Hope this answers your original questions.

PS If I'm going to a friend's house, I leave my pistol in the car unless he knows I'm bringing it over to show him. Then it's unloaded in the car first. FMITH, this is just common sense.

Last edited: