Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Jays sporting goods IS OC friendly!

  1. #1
    Regular Member lil_freak_66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mason, Michigan
    Posts
    1,811

    Jays sporting goods IS OC friendly!

    was just up at the gaylord Jays sporting goods...

    right inside in giant letters they say they gladly welcome conceal carry,and any non concealed firearms must be unloaded,encased and all of that.

    thinking it might be an out dated sign,i ask the manager if they allow "ccw people"(as she refered to them as) to open carry,and i was told they only allow concealed carry.

    anybody know anything about this? i was under the impression they are on the OC friendly business list.
    Last edited by lil_freak_66; 07-10-2010 at 12:55 PM.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.


  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Time to attempt to bring them up to speed. Talk to them first, with empty holster, and then try giving them a trifold. Refer them here as well.

  3. #3
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    Search is our friend! Please see the following thread:

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...Sporting+Goods

  4. #4
    Regular Member lil_freak_66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mason, Michigan
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    Search is our friend! Please see the following thread:

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...Sporting+Goods

    they should have updated the signs and informed the managers within the last year...

    ill get ahold of jays again tommorow and get to the bottom of this.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.


  5. #5
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    In that linked thread, Venator described that the "signage was confusing at best"...

  6. #6
    Regular Member lil_freak_66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mason, Michigan
    Posts
    1,811
    which is why i asked a manager,she stated that only conceal carry was allowed,no open carry.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.


  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Montmorency Co, MI, ,
    Posts
    34
    I have been in Jays in the past week.

    I did not notice the sign(s). I thought the OC was supposed to be fixed about 6 mo ago.

  8. #8
    Regular Member lil_freak_66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mason, Michigan
    Posts
    1,811
    inside doors,right side,large sign.

    manager was white female,small build,5'6 or so.25-35 id assume,dont remember hair color.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.


  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Blond

  10. #10
    Regular Member lil_freak_66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mason, Michigan
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Blond
    i think so,sort've a dark blonde iirc.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.


  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jackson, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    125
    I was in the Clare Jays on Friday and there was a sign that stated CC and OC was A-OK but any firearm requiring service or fitting must be unloaded/checked. Spent prolly 2 hours in there had a few employees comment in a positive fashion.
    I was gona go to Gaylord but called ahead and they didnt have what I needed so I drove past on the way to Mackinaw. Guess I should have stopped.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Belleville, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    126
    I was in Jay's at Clare Monday OCd there as usual w/o issues. Been going there several times OCg NP.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_freak_66 View Post
    was just up at the gaylord Jays sporting goods...

    right inside in giant letters they say they gladly welcome conceal carry,and any non concealed firearms must be unloaded,encased and all of that.

    thinking it might be an out dated sign,i ask the manager if they allow "ccw people" to open carry,and i was told they only allow concealed carry.

    anybody know anything about this? i was under the impression they are on the OC friendly business list.
    If you are going to attempt to have an intelligent conversation with someone regarding people with cpl's do not refer to them as you quoted yourself, "CCW people", try to show that you know even a tiny morsel of information of what you are talking about.

  14. #14
    Regular Member lil_freak_66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mason, Michigan
    Posts
    1,811
    perhaps i didnt make myself clear,she called cpl holders "ccw people"

    please reconsider negative posts without additional consideration.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.


  15. #15
    Regular Member lil_freak_66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mason, Michigan
    Posts
    1,811
    received email from gaylord store manager.

    it is below.

    Thanks for taking the time to write me a letter addressing your
    concerns. I would first like to say that Jay's Sporting Goods does
    welcome open carry. I was alarmed at first because we do have signs
    posted in the store that mention our policy and there should have been
    one posted in the foyer. After researching, I did find them posted in
    store but unfortunately the foyer sign was missing. I will be
    correcting that personally this week.

    I did take the opportunity to address the issue with our new Area
    Managers. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please
    don't hesitate to contact me directly at the number below.


    Respectfully,


    Mark

    Mark Copeland
    Store Director
    Jay's Sporting Goods, Inc
    989-705-1339 Ext. 540
    mcopeland@jayssportinggoods.com
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.


  16. #16
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845
    And all is well again and now the manager is up to speed!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  17. #17
    Regular Member lil_freak_66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mason, Michigan
    Posts
    1,811
    sent an email back to him saying that is more than sufficient,but i suggested that he get one of the MOC business stickers,and i told him i could send him one if he was interested.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.


  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    +1. Anyone who wants to shop there should print that, and keep it with them to show in case someone says anything.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Bailenforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    City
    Posts
    1,077

    Threads and common sense

    There seems to be a total lack of common sense or a disregard to accuracy when posting threads on whether a Corporation is O.C. friendly or not. The thread named as if to assume the business isn't open carry without any previous fact checking is in the least irresponsible and inflammatory. Then to bash the Business with a slight of hand attack and assertions that are either untrue or just plain dead wrong is libelous. if we are to be taken seriously then we must point out FACTS and Confirm them FIRST and foremost!

    I have carried at Jays so many times I couldn't begin to count them all. I carry a Large framed Custom Browning Hipower which is Nickle and in an Askins Avenger holster which a blind man can see. Not to mention the double mag pouches.. yet NOT ONCE was I questioned and in fact a few comments have been made on how nice the gun looked. So how anyone can start a thread bashing then making assertions or hinting at something amiss is beyond me. Then why not one person has not called out this thread as pure trash is another mystery. Post after post of spurious drivel and NO facts. Finally after numerous posts of silliness we get a single fact that disputes the entire thread.

    I got a totally different story when talking to the management of Jays Gaylord. Their story makes PERFECT sense, and was to the point and no equivocation. They always have been O.C. friendly and hopefully will remain so. I have carried there since the store opened which I live minutes away from. But I do not play with my gun in the store, and that should NEVER happen. It's a weapon and should be treated as such. It takes one of two fools to mess things up for all of us. We must act in a responsible manner like men, not errant teenagers looking for attention.

    A right is also a responsibility and I wish some would recognize this...
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

  20. #20
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailenforcer View Post
    There seems to be a total lack of common sense or a disregard to accuracy when posting threads on whether a Corporation is O.C. friendly or not. The thread named as if to assume the business isn't open carry without any previous fact checking is in the least irresponsible and inflammatory. Then to bash the Business with a slight of hand attack and assertions that are either untrue or just plain dead wrong is libelous. if we are to be taken seriously then we must point out FACTS and Confirm them FIRST and foremost!

    I have carried at Jays so many times I couldn't begin to count them all. I carry a Large framed Custom Browning Hipower which is Nickle and in an Askins Avenger holster which a blind man can see. Not to mention the double mag pouches.. yet NOT ONCE was I questioned and in fact a few comments have been made on how nice the gun looked. So how anyone can start a thread bashing then making assertions or hinting at something amiss is beyond me. Then why not one person has not called out this thread as pure trash is another mystery. Post after post of spurious drivel and NO facts. Finally after numerous posts of silliness we get a single fact that disputes the entire thread.

    I got a totally different story when talking to the management of Jays Gaylord. Their story makes PERFECT sense, and was to the point and no equivocation. They always have been O.C. friendly and hopefully will remain so. I have carried there since the store opened which I live minutes away from. But I do not play with my gun in the store, and that should NEVER happen. It's a weapon and should be treated as such. It takes one of two fools to mess things up for all of us. We must act in a responsible manner like men, not errant teenagers looking for attention.

    A right is also a responsibility and I wish some would recognize this...
    I posted the following link above in Post #3 as there were issues there last year:

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...nti-open-carry.

    Also, in the Open Carry Experiences Thread (starting at post #2409):

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...s-here./page97

  21. #21
    Regular Member Bailenforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    City
    Posts
    1,077
    Thanks I will check it out.


    Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    I posted the following link above in Post #3 as there were issues there last year:

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...nti-open-carry.

    Also, in the Open Carry Experiences Thread (starting at post #2409):

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...s-here./page97
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

  22. #22
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    I agree that it is difficult to find information about Corporation/Company Policies for OC/Lawful Carry. I have made a suggestion that we have this at the main Open Carry Brigade forum level. We will see where it goes...

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post1303722

  23. #23
    Regular Member lil_freak_66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mason, Michigan
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailenforcer View Post

    I have carried at Jays so many times I couldn't begin to count them all. I carry a Large framed Custom Browning Hipower which is Nickle and in an Askins Avenger holster which a blind man can see. Not to mention the double mag pouches.. yet NOT ONCE was I questioned and in fact a few comments have been made on how nice the gun looked. So how anyone can start a thread bashing then making assertions or hinting at something amiss is beyond me. Then why not one person has not called out this thread as pure trash is another mystery. Post after post of spurious drivel and NO facts. Finally after numerous posts of silliness we get a single fact that disputes the entire thread.
    perhaps you didnt read everything properly,the only signs they had up stated stuff about CC,and a employee falsely believed it was CC only,which is why the thread was posted,the help garnered from posting said thread led to it being found out that the employee was misinformed,and that the open carry sign went missing,the store manager
    corrected the situation and all is indeed well.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.


  24. #24
    Regular Member Bailenforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    City
    Posts
    1,077
    I found the easiest way is to just give them a call at Corporate, and most of the time you find an interested party if you say things right. Such as

    " I am calling because at your Petoskey Store we were told by an employee that Lowes does not respect the firearms laws in Michigan. I am sure there must be some kind of mix up or error on the part of the employee, but I am calling to set the record straight on the issue."

    Almost instantly I get an apology and they dive into the matter hoping to clear it up. Each time I get a fast response although nothing is a guarantee, but when said right as if you are concerned about how the public might view your favorite store chain, the reaction is helpful. I know some guys get upset when ejected from a store, but one must always remember that just because some cart tart said it's so, doesn't mean it is. Often the Public relations is more important than the silly loud mouth manager wanna be cart tart.

    I am not sure if I illustrated this correctly but it works for me 100% of the time. Most of my life I dealt with Public relations, Corporate, and management people both in my profession and as a Union negotiator. How it is said most often trumps what is said...

    I offered this suggestion before, that we get all the letters of corporations and place them in a file area by name of that Corporation so we don't badger any Corporation with too many requests. This also cleans up the common misconceptions I see here where one thread says yes they do and another says no they don't..

    If I can get enough of them I will burn an ISO so people can burn them to a CD or DVD for further use. It's always nice to have that Lowes Letter with me in case another JR G man Employee tries to cite law of Corporate Policy in his or her own political viewpoint.

    Just a thought....



    Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    I agree that it is difficult to find information about Corporation/Company Policies for OC/Lawful Carry. I have made a suggestion that we have this at the main Open Carry Brigade forum level. We will see where it goes...

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post1303722
    Last edited by Bailenforcer; 07-09-2010 at 05:29 PM.
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

  25. #25
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336
    Thanks for the good suggestions and thoughts, will remember them when I need them (have not had any issue with OC at any store yet). As expressed elsewhere, how one "carries/conducts themselves" makes a difference!

    I believe somewhere to store the information centrally for search and review by members here is key. Then, everyone can benefit from the "legwork" we do - many hands make light work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •