• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first OC experience yesterday!

Rs2nV

Hey guys i'm new here from thornton, had my ccw for almost 4 years now and carry everywhere i legally can. Few nights back while browsing around the net for a shoulder holster for my King Cobra i came across this site and it got me really thinking. Only place i ever carried open was in a small town in south dakota while there for the wifes grandmas 100th birthday party and everyone out there had one on they're side.
So i carried open doing things around the yard the morning of the fourth, got a Thornton officer to slow down and do a double take while i watered my lawn, i waved to him, he waved back and went on his way. Started getting braver thoughts and called up a buddy and asked if he wanted to go with me to buy a cooler. Knowing i was up to something he goes why. I said just bring your smith up here and lets go. Explained everything out to him and checked out the site, told him i was to scared to go alone:banghead:(i'm one of them people that doesnt let anything phase me but this was one of those things i wanted someone else there with me).
He doesnt have a permit so he had to open carry, so he straps on his holster with his s+w sigma .40 and as i'm putting on my glock 30 in my carry holster i realize its a open top holster, fine for CC but open carry i wouldnt feel comfortable, its a good desanti's leather and a great fit but made me nervous, but the hip holster for my Colt King cobra 357 is a thumb break holster. So we hit the walmart at 136th and huron walk right in no problems, both dressed "nice" i had nice jeans and ropers and a tan button up shirt tucked in.
I notice as we walk to the back of the store there is a "higher up" looking walmart guy that is kinda following us around. We get to electronics and stop to look at some home audio stuff and we get approached by this gentleman and the assistant manager. They introduce themselves and right away i put out my hand and introduce myself and my friend follows.

Manager-"So what agency are you gentleman with"?
Me-"Not officers sir just law abiding citizens, is there any reason you are stopping us"
Manager-"No problem" points to my buddy, "he is ok but your weapon needs to be put in your vehicle"
Me-"Can i ask why sir? In the state of colorado it is legal to openly carry a handgun, his is no different then mine why does mine need to leave"?
Manager-"Well we think it just draws negative attention and may concern shoppers"
Me-Getting my wallet-"Well sir i hold a colorado concealed weapons permit so i'll just untuck my shirt"

Manager kind of gives me a funny look hands me my permit back and walks away, i untuck my shirt and we continue on our way. So we are in sporting goods and the guy that was with the manager earlier approaches us with the head manager for the store as well as a wesminster LEO. I introduce myself to the manager and officer and the officer asks me if i am carrying a concealed weapon. I said yes i am lawfully carrying my firearm concealed with a valid colorado permit. and that i was carrying my firearm legally open until the assistant manager encroached on my rights to do so. The manager jumps in and apologizes to us about the "mix up" telling us we are well within our right under colorado law to carry them and they just wanted to be sure we were not a safety risk to the community.

Manager leaves and we had a little chat with the officer about it and i just asked why it was ok for my buddy to carry in here open but not me, the officer goes well what are you carrying i said a colt king cobra .357 in a closed bottom retention holster, he just kind of chuckles and goes thats a big gun, so i replied yes its a big gun but its still within my right to carry it correct. He goes yea it is you got a bigger pair than i do though.

Over all pretty good experiance, i dont forsee having any issues with that one, i think it was more less the managers werent sure and called PD in just to be sure which i can understand, while i know i screwed up by concealing it and not standing my ground i didnt want a big confrontation with them or law enforcement. Went and got a bianchi thumb break paddle holster for my glock 30 today:banana:

ColoradoFlyer

Well, as we say, you are no longer a virgin.... thanks for the post and always good to hear a positive reaction for local LEO's. Yes you must have big ones as he said. Funny that the manager made some type of internal discrimination based on what you were each carrying. Best of luck and welcome to the site... Carry on.....

Kingfish

Welcome aboard.

The manager that did not like your big gun; his concerns were ignorant but not in violation of your rights. He has the right to ask ANYONE to leave.

Good encounter with the cop. You were not detained or searched so all is well there. It is a bit shocking that you were that close to Denver and the cop did not hassle you.

Again, welcome and keep carrying.

Ruger .454

Manager leaves and we had a little chat with the officer about it and i just asked why it was ok for my buddy to carry in here open but not me, the officer goes well what are you carrying i said a colt king cobra .357 in a closed bottom retention holster, he just kind of chuckles and goes thats a big gun, so i replied yes its a big gun but its still within my right to carry it correct. He goes yea it is you got a bigger pair than i do though.
This is good information. I had no idea that a .357 is a "big gun" in Colorado, nor that it would provoke envy in a Colorado LEO. I don't know what I'm going to do with my Ruger Alaskan while I'm there in CO next week. Maybe I'll buy a squirt gun for the thigh rig and conceal the .454.

denverbear

good info and thank you for the post...I live in Thornton and go to that Walmart at least 3 times a week but always keep it concealed...might try to open carry there next time for sure....did you get any names of the managers so if I have any problems I could use them as a referance?

mahkagari

I'm confused, but I'm probably not reading carefully enough. Was it just the "size" of your gun or that it wasn't a retention holster that the manager singled you out over your buddy?

since9

Campaign Veteran

A bigger pair? An LEO who open carries as part of his job is saying your being overly bravado by open carrying anything larger than, say, a 9 mm?

Hmm... I think it's time I pay the store a visit while wearing my .44 Ruger Redhawk, and accompanied by a buddy of mine who has a hip holster for a .380 ACP.

Seriously - Property owners have the right to prohibit the carry of firearms in their stores. When owners of stores readily accessible by the public at large start choosing which firearms they allow, and which ones they don't, they're not showing discretion, but acting in a discriminatory manner.

Rule of law has consistantly upheld the rights of individuals to be free from discrimination against hair, clothing, makeup styles, and accessories, as such is an expression of one's personal tastes, protected under the 1st Amendment. The only criteria is that the choice not violate laws concerning nudity, obscenity, or other general public guidelines.

Thus, they have the right to allow firearms and forbid firearms. But if they allow firearms, they do not have the right to forbid entry based on what type or size of firearm you have.

So far as I know, this has never been tested here in Colorado, but given the combination of laws on the books, that's the way I'd argue it, as that's the way the law reads.