• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Condition 0, Condition 1

erb

I CC a 1911 Raptor II Pro and OC a Springfield XD40. I also have a Kahr P45 (KP4543N) that I am considering retiring.

I always carry with a round in the chamber.

1911: manual safety, grip safety
XD40: grip safety, trigger safety
P45: no external safety

I read that I should carry the 1911 Condition 1 (and I do forthemostpart). But Condition 0 is the only way to carry my XD40 and P45. So what's the big deal about carrying the 1911 with the safety off?

.45acp

I CC a 1911 Raptor II Pro and OC a Springfield XD40. I also have a Kahr P45 (KP4543N) that I am considering retiring.

I always carry with a round in the chamber.

1911: manual safety, grip safety
XD40: grip safety, trigger safety
P45: no external safety

I read that I should carry the 1911 Condition 1 (and I do forthemostpart). But Condition 0 is the only way to carry my XD40 and P45. So what's the big deal about carrying the 1911 with the safety off?

Since the XD40 does not have a manual safety that discussion is moot. If you are carrying the pistol with one in the pipe, you are carrying the weapon as per the design the same with the P45
The original design submitted by John Browning to the US government for testing did not have a manual safety (only the grip safety and disconnector safety) and was intended by designed to be carried cocked and locked (Condition 1). The manual safety was added as a requirement of the US government. There as much been discussion of carry in condition 0. I would ask why would you carry without the manual safety engaged, especially considering that swiping it off safe does not interfere with the draw stroke, grip or slow the first shot. Especially considering that should you have an ND or bad shoot with death or injuries, that is just one more nail in the coffin at your trial.
Just my opinion, carry condition 1, it has worked for 100 years, why reinvent the wheel.

Steve

erb

I understand that it is what it was designed for. That I can respect.