• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Friends/Family AGAINST OC!

Machoduck

>meso.40< - Welcome to OCDO. How do you pronounce your screen name? I can't even punctuate it, let alone pronounce it.

About your dad's viewpoint regarding open carry: It could be as simple as watching too much television. All of us get way too much misinformation from TV by osmosis, if not by intentional misleading. Is he liberal (new definition), progressive, or collectivist? Folks of that persuasion usually adhere to what I call "The Unwritten Dress Code for the Mind." The majority of people, in my estimation want to belong to some group or another. The left has turned the creation of that desire into an art form. I watched it happen with my own dad. As my ability to defeat leftist arguments grew I started to make some headway but a stroke ended that. Alas. It would be a really neat thing to turn your dad's thinking around to a more common sense approach.

MD

March Hare

My brother and his wife came to visit from Kalifornia recently.
When she saw that I carry a gun she asked 'why do you carry that thing, are you trying to compensate for something?'

I said that I was, for not being young, strong and fast.
She gave me a hard time about that so I asked her to picture a scenario:

She's walking down a street and a big guy approaches her with obvious bad intentions, could she defend herself?
(She's 5'2'' and about 115 pounds)
She thought about it and admitted that she probably couldn't.

I handed her my holstered CZ-82 and asked if she thought the odds would be better in her favor if she had and knew how to use it, she thought about it and said probably, but she's afraid of the gun. (She almost dropped it)

We all went out and did some shooting and I taught her how to safely handle, load and fire several different guns. She LOVED it!
I almost lost that CZ to her, it fit her hand so well...

She's still not completely convinced about carrying, but she's light years closer now.

Sometimes it just takes getting someone to look at a thing from a slightly different point of view, if you can do that you just might win them over.

Good luck!

-MH

*1911_man*

well said MH, some people are just ignorant.
My nephews came to visit today, and the oldest one told me his grandpa says im "cocky" for carrying a gun in public. I was literally like what the hell? He thinks anyone who carries a gun is cocky and thinks they are "all that and a bag of skittles". The guy is an ass hat, at best. I was pretty dumbfounded, since ive seen him carry a gun while fishing and whatnot. And he carries a big ass knife.

Guess that all Marines, Army, Airforce, police, security etc etc are all a bunch of cocky guys/girls.
Its too bad we dont have unarmed police, like the brits.

M

McX

you ever notice how the line against something always ends up being longer than the line for?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Honestly its a little discouraging. In a way it makes me want to just leave my piece at home, or in the car.

Just yesterday I was in a rush and forgot to bring my firearm and I realized this once I was in my garage getting into my car
, but I thought that my girlfriend had hers so I didn't worry about it. Once I found out that she had forgot hers also I felt REALLY uneasy. That was the first time that has happened.

That is why every vehicle has a reverse gear - use it in such circumstances.

merc460

To the OP ,

Google Suzanna Hupp . She lost both parents the same day .

Google Lane Bryant killing in Northern Illinois.

If those 2 stories aren't enough to change minds , then they can't be changed. Let your family members listen to Suzanna's story.

Don't let your family members talk you out of carrying.

That story alone should do it.

MKEgal

she has the mentality that people they carry guns all the time are paranoid and ridiculous.

This seems to be the common reaction from others here in Milwaukee, based on comments to various news stories.

My 'friends' (I thought they were) seemed to be OK with me carrying until a couple weeks ago when I was the victim of an illegal police stop & news outlets picked it up. Now they're coming up with all sorts of new rules, including that I can't carry around them or our son. (They adopted my son. Until now we've had a very close relationship.) She said she didn't want it in her house, & I offered to leave it in the car, and she said no (not a good idea in their neighborhood) but that I should leave it at home!

My boyfriend seems to be a bit more accepting, as does his family. His dad actually made a tiny gun (very cute - can fit in the palm of my hand, fires 2 .22 bullets) & his brother hunts. Thing is, my son's adoptive parents also own guns!

I can't wait for Wisconsin to allow CCW, so I don't have to choose between being safe & seeing my son.

M

McX

i have determined that the leftists who dislike your firearm, in a crisis situation will be the first to ask where your firearm is. Reasons can be obvious, or part of a hidden agenda.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Paraphrasing

May those that do not want a gun, have eternal nightmares of not having one when needing one. :uhoh:

Well at least until they get the message.

mFonz77

Possible responses:

"And only victims don't carry a gun."

"You raised me, but I'm still man enough to make my own decisions."

Slightly different; I've spoken with a lot of people who own a gun or want to own one "for their home", but "would never [even] think about carrying one around." To them I just say, "Criminals work outside their homes; why shouldn't we?"

LV XD9

My 'friends' (I thought they were) seemed to be OK with me carrying until a couple weeks ago when I was the victim of an illegal police stop & news outlets picked it up. Now they're coming up with all sorts of new rules, including that I can't carry around them or our son. (They adopted my son. Until now we've had a very close relationship.) She said she didn't want it in her house, & I offered to leave it in the car, and she said no (not a good idea in their neighborhood) but that I should leave it at home!
Why are you letting "friends" decide what you can and can not do around your own child? For that matter, why would you allow your "friends" to adopt your son if you want to have a say in how he's raised and want to be a part of his life?

Maybe I'm missing something, but the obvious solution to this particular issue appears to be that if you raise your child yourself, you get to determine whether or not you can carry around him. If you're allowing someone else to raise your child in their home, you're going to have to abide by their rules when you come to visit.

I know this is probably coming across as harsh, but it's the best I can come up with based on the information provided.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why are you letting "friends" decide what you can and can not do around your own child? For that matter, why would you allow your "friends" to adopt your son if you want to have a say in how he's raised and want to be a part of his life?

Maybe I'm missing something, but the obvious solution to this particular issue appears to be that if you raise your child yourself, you get to determine whether or not you can carry around him. If you're allowing someone else to raise your child in their home, you're going to have to abide by their rules when you come to visit.

I know this is probably coming across as harsh, but it's the best I can come up with based on the information provided.

Presumes to get involved with personal matters not likely to be appropriate here.

LV XD9

Presumes to get involved with personal matters not likely to be appropriate here.

No, I simply replied to a post. If the matters were truly that personal (to the point that it's considered inappropriate to ask follow-up questions about said matters) to the poster, one would think that the poster would not have chosen to post it to an internet forum. I was simply asking for clarification of her post, since it seemed unusual to me that someone who wants to be a part of their child's life would allow others to adopt their child. And since that decision is now affecting her abilitly to carry her firearm around her child, it seems reasonable (to me at least) to want clarification of the issue before weighing in further.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot
No, I simply replied to a post. If the matters were truly that personal (to the point that it's considered inappropriate to ask follow-up questions about said matters) to the poster, one would think that the poster would not have chosen to post it to an internet forum. I was simply asking for clarification of her post, since it seemed unusual to me that someone who wants to be a part of their child's life would allow others to adopt their child. And since that decision is now affecting her abilitly to carry her firearm around her child, it seems reasonable (to me at least) to want clarification of the issue before weighing in further.

I think she/he was venting and showing his frustration at those that were previously accepting were applying undo pressure.

Her/his personal reasons regarding his child are NOT appropriate nor germane to OCDO, plus now you agree the child was adopted, therefore he cannot have any formal say in the matter - why chastise her/him for that or ask for details not volunteered? Those details have nothing to do with OCDO nor you or I.

The content to which I object is "Why are you letting "friends" decide what you can and can not do around your own child? For that matter, why would you allow your "friends" to adopt your son....."

LV XD9

I think she/he was venting and showing his frustration at those that were previously accepting were applying undo pressure.
Why not let the poster speak for themselves? Why is it bothering you so much that I asked follow-up questions?

Again, if the matter were truly as personal/private as you're suggesting it is (that is, to the point that asking any sort of follow-up question is deemed inappropriate,) why did she post so many details on a public forum in the first place? I really think you're overreacting a bit and should let the poster respond before jumping down my throat. But hey, what do I know?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why not let the poster speak for themselves? Why is it bothering you so much that I asked follow-up questions?

Again, if the matter were truly as personal/private as you're suggesting it is (that is, to the point that asking any sort of follow-up question is deemed inappropriate,) why did she post so many details on a public forum in the first place? I really think you're overreacting a bit and should let the poster respond before jumping down my throat. But hey, what do I know?

You take it beyond the confines of OCDO when you chastise her and request answers having nothing to do with OC. I will even go so far as to say rude.

This is not a general discussion web site - even the thread for "general discussions" must be fairly related to open carry, firearms and gun rights.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

LV XD9

You take it beyond the confines of OCDO when you chastise her and request answers having nothing to do with OC. I will even go so far as to say rude.
I didn't chastise her. I asked follow-up questions that directly related to her post and predicament. If you can't see that, that's really not my problem.

Last edited:

Snakemathis

Agreed

I agree with Grapeshot 100%. Maybe it wasnt her choice to adopt them out, maybe she had reasons we could never understand. Either way, it is none of our concern. The concern here is the fact that she cant open carry on that property. That should be what your post pertains to, not the relationship between her and her children.