Thread: The Law to carry a hand gun, open or CC?

The Law to carry a hand gun, open or CC?

Where can I find the copy of the law to carry a hand gun, open or CC? I found it some time ago but the only thing I can find lately is how to obtain and who cannot have one. Like to make a copy if I ever get stopped and question. I would be able to recite it word for word then. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by hogeater f6 View Post
    Where can I find the copy of the law to carry a hand gun, open or CC? I found it some time ago but the only thing I can find lately is how to obtain and who cannot have one. Like to make a copy if I ever get stopped and question. I would be able to recite it word for word then. Thx
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod...r47/index.html

There is no law that says it's legal to OC. There is also no law that says it is not legal to OC.

Specifically:

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

The law simply makes it illegal to carry a handgun without a license (or applicable exception.)
    No method of carry has been defined as more or less legal (with license) or illegal (without license) than any other.

I am working on my FL CC permit and travel to IN quite often when our Motorcycle Club goes on runs. Any prohibited areas I need to be concerned with? Also I read that vehicle carry is a big no-no unless it is unloaded and encased. Does this apply to CC as well? Just want to make sure I don't get into trouble out of state. So far I have stuck to OC in WI but want to be sure I can be safe everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra469 View Post
    I am working on my FL CC permit and travel to IN quite often when our Motorcycle Club goes on runs. Any prohibited areas I need to be concerned with? Also I read that vehicle carry is a big no-no unless it is unloaded and encased. Does this apply to CC as well? Just want to make sure I don't get into trouble out of state. So far I have stuck to OC in WI but want to be sure I can be safe everywhere.
    Licensed carry is any manner you see fit. Unlicensed carry is only to/from place of purchase or sale, and residence. see link to laws above.

Regular Member protect our rights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra469 View Post
    Just cant go within 1,000 feet of a school, if you don't have an INDIANA LTCH. (thats a general rule of thumb, if you don't have a permit from the state your in; most of the time your not excluded from the 1,000 ft within a school) Other than that just common sense. No courts, police stations, fire stations. You can take a HG into bars up here and even consume a little alcohol (strongly recommend against it!) Have fun and be safe!

EDIT: You CAN carry in Fire Departments.
    Last edited by protect our rights; 03-15-2011 at 04:22 PM.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

You sure about fire stations? Never heard that. I have and also carried on FD calls. Nothing in our bylaws that say I cant.

Quote Originally Posted by cce1302 View Post
    Licensed carry is any manner you see fit. Unlicensed carry is only to/from place of purchase or sale, and residence. see link to laws above.
    You are actually talking about transport, unloaded and encased only to/from place of purchase or sale, and residence. It is surprising to me that is prohibited without a LTC. Even in Illinois with no LTC, you can transport between your home and most places, can't transport to a school building, post office, court house or similar place.

Quote Originally Posted by hogeater f6 View Post
    You sure about fire stations? Never heard that. I have and also carried on FD calls. Nothing in our bylaws that say I cant.
    Yeah, excuse me on that one. you are exactly right, there is no law against carrying in FD. Must not have been in the right train of thought.
    Last edited by protect our rights; 03-07-2011 at 09:03 AM.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by protect our rights View Post
    Just cant go within 1,000 feet of a school, if you don't have an INDIANA LTCH. (thats a general rule of thumb, if you don't have a permit from the state your in; most of the time your not excluded from the 1,00 ft within a school) Other than that just common sense. No courts, police stations, fire stations. You can take a HG into bars up here and even consume a little alcohol (strongly recommend against it!) Have fun and be safe!
    I did not know about the school issue. I did not know they deciphered between IN license and everyone elses.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I did not know about the school issue. I did not know they deciphered between IN license and everyone elses.
    I assume you are talking about the federal law saying no one without a Legal permit can come with-in 1,000ft of any school (K-12)? Yeah some (not all) states have a clause that says that if you travel into a state and have a permit from your home state, even if the two states have reciprocity, you are not exempt from the 1,000 ft with-in a school law. An I do believe that is how Indiana's law has it. Someone may correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by protect our rights; 03-08-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by protect our rights View Post
    I assume you are talking about the federal law saying no one without a Legal permit can come with-in 1,000ft of any school (K-12)? Yeah some (not all) states have a clause that says that if you travel into a state and have a permit from your home state, even if the two states have reciprocity, you are not exempt from the 1,000 ft with-in a school law. An I do believe that is how Indiana's law has it. Someone may correct me if I am wrong.
    According to the ATF, you are right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ccw.pdf&page=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ccw.pdf&page=2

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

But that is the opinion of the ATF, I'll have to look up the law later.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    But that is the opinion of the ATF, I'll have to look up the law later.
    Yes, this is the law (in the opinion of the ATF) that I was speaking of. Now I was under the impression that not EVERY state was like this, just most. This implies that all states have this as law.

Neither Indiana, nor its Courts, Reconizes The 1000 Foot Rule around Schools, however; this DOES NOT Preclude Federal Courts from Reconizing this, except for The Exceptions under Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(B)(ii), and others.

As for Public Building Carry, Senate Bill 292 WILL Change that..., if Ratified by The Indiana Governor.
    Last edited by aadvark; 03-10-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    Neither Indiana, nor its Courts, Reconizes The 1000 Foot Rule around Schools, however; this DOES NOT Preclude Federal Courts from Reconizing this, except for The Exceptions under Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(B)(ii), and others.

As for Public Building Carry, Senate Bill 292 WILL Change that..., if Ratified by The Indiana Governor.
    Well MOST states do not recognize this law. It was made a Federal Law. Now do you want to chance it? Local LE are not required to enforce Federal Law, but if they don't like you, they can if they like. get it?