• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Law to carry a hand gun, open or CC?

hogeaterf6

Where can I find the copy of the law to carry a hand gun, open or CC? I found it some time ago but the only thing I can find lately is how to obtain and who cannot have one. Like to make a copy if I ever get stopped and question. I would be able to recite it word for word then. Thx

Skippy

Where can I find the copy of the law to carry a hand gun, open or CC? I found it some time ago but the only thing I can find lately is how to obtain and who cannot have one. Like to make a copy if I ever get stopped and question. I would be able to recite it word for word then. Thx

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/index.html

There is no law that says it's legal to OC. There is also no law that says it is not legal to OC.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
Specifically:

IC 35-47-2-1
Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

The law simply makes it illegal to carry a handgun without a license (or applicable exception.)
No method of carry has been defined as more or less legal (with license) or illegal (without license) than any other.

Cobra469

I am working on my FL CC permit and travel to IN quite often when our Motorcycle Club goes on runs. Any prohibited areas I need to be concerned with? Also I read that vehicle carry is a big no-no unless it is unloaded and encased. Does this apply to CC as well? Just want to make sure I don't get into trouble out of state. So far I have stuck to OC in WI but want to be sure I can be safe everywhere.

cce1302

I am working on my FL CC permit and travel to IN quite often when our Motorcycle Club goes on runs. Any prohibited areas I need to be concerned with? Also I read that vehicle carry is a big no-no unless it is unloaded and encased. Does this apply to CC as well? Just want to make sure I don't get into trouble out of state. So far I have stuck to OC in WI but want to be sure I can be safe everywhere.

Licensed carry is any manner you see fit. Unlicensed carry is only to/from place of purchase or sale, and residence. see link to laws above.

protect our rights

Just cant go within 1,000 feet of a school, if you don't have an INDIANA LTCH. (thats a general rule of thumb, if you don't have a permit from the state your in; most of the time your not excluded from the 1,000 ft within a school) Other than that just common sense. No courts, police stations, fire stations. You can take a HG into bars up here and even consume a little alcohol (strongly recommend against it!) Have fun and be safe!

EDIT: You CAN carry in Fire Departments.

Last edited:

hogeaterf6

You sure about fire stations? Never heard that. I have and also carried on FD calls. Nothing in our bylaws that say I cant.

junglebob

Licensed carry is any manner you see fit. Unlicensed carry is only to/from place of purchase or sale, and residence. see link to laws above.
You are actually talking about transport, unloaded and encased only to/from place of purchase or sale, and residence. It is surprising to me that is prohibited without a LTC. Even in Illinois with no LTC, you can transport between your home and most places, can't transport to a school building, post office, court house or similar place.

protias

Just cant go within 1,000 feet of a school, if you don't have an INDIANA LTCH. (thats a general rule of thumb, if you don't have a permit from the state your in; most of the time your not excluded from the 1,00 ft within a school) Other than that just common sense. No courts, police stations, fire stations. You can take a HG into bars up here and even consume a little alcohol (strongly recommend against it!) Have fun and be safe!
I did not know about the school issue. I did not know they deciphered between IN license and everyone elses.

protect our rights

I did not know about the school issue. I did not know they deciphered between IN license and everyone elses.

I assume you are talking about the federal law saying no one without a Legal permit can come with-in 1,000ft of any school (K-12)? Yeah some (not all) states have a clause that says that if you travel into a state and have a permit from your home state, even if the two states have reciprocity, you are not exempt from the 1,000 ft with-in a school law. An I do believe that is how Indiana's law has it. Someone may correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

protias

I assume you are talking about the federal law saying no one without a Legal permit can come with-in 1,000ft of any school (K-12)? Yeah some (not all) states have a clause that says that if you travel into a state and have a permit from your home state, even if the two states have reciprocity, you are not exempt from the 1,000 ft with-in a school law. An I do believe that is how Indiana's law has it. Someone may correct me if I am wrong.
According to the ATF, you are right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Batfe2002letter_gfsza1995_ccw.pdf&page=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Batfe2002letter_gfsza1995_ccw.pdf&page=2

:rolleyes:

aadvark

Neither Indiana, nor its Courts, Reconizes The 1000 Foot Rule around Schools, however; this DOES NOT Preclude Federal Courts from Reconizing this, except for The Exceptions under Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(B)(ii), and others.

As for Public Building Carry, Senate Bill 292 WILL Change that..., if Ratified by The Indiana Governor.

Last edited:

protect our rights

Neither Indiana, nor its Courts, Reconizes The 1000 Foot Rule around Schools, however; this DOES NOT Preclude Federal Courts from Reconizing this, except for The Exceptions under Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(B)(ii), and others.

As for Public Building Carry, Senate Bill 292 WILL Change that..., if Ratified by The Indiana Governor.

Well MOST states do not recognize this law. It was made a Federal Law. Now do you want to chance it? Local LE are not required to enforce Federal Law, but if they don't like you, they can if they like. get it?