Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: No carry, no way at Rebel Books

  1. #1
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297

    No carry, no way at Rebel Books

    I had no choice but to disarm as I was out of options for the purchase of a text book I need and needed now. Though I did inform the manager on duty that their sign carried no weight of law as there was no statute cited on the sign, nor was there any applicable statute that applied to their prohibition. I also informed them that should someone lawfully carry a firearm into their store, the only violation they would be subject to is trespassing.

    Please feel free to write them with your thoughts to manager@rebelbook.com

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tahoe, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    109
    Can you post a picture of the sign?

  3. #3
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    I'll get one tomorrow, I didn't have my phone or a camera with me today.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    63
    Ya, they also will bitch at you if they see that you have a knife...

  5. #5
    Regular Member Sabotage70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fabulous Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    844
    I know that place is next to UNLV. But can they consider themselves part of UNLV?
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

    RED DRAGONS!!!!

  6. #6
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerfish View Post
    Ya, they also will bitch at you if they see that you have a knife...
    No. It's not owned or operated by the Nevada system of higher education. It's a privately owned company based in Nebraska. The one I visited was Rebel Books II across the street from the Charleston Campus of CSN. I tried to send them an e-mail to their contact address but it was returned as undeliverable.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Sabotage70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fabulous Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post
    No. It's not owned or operated by the Nevada system of higher education. It's a privately owned company based in Nebraska. The one I visited was Rebel Books II across the street from the Charleston Campus of CSN. I tried to send them an e-mail to their contact address but it was returned as undeliverable.
    Well if it's a private business, I hate to say it. But I think you might be SOL.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

    RED DRAGONS!!!!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763
    [QUOTE=Nevada carrier;1301304] Though I did inform the manager on duty that their sign carried no weight of law as there was no statute cited on the sign, nor was there any applicable statute that applied to their prohibition. QUOTE]

    In NV for the PUBLIC building rule the sign does not have to have the statute listed.
    If this bookstore is a pvt biz you are correct in the sign carries no weight.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    In NV for the PUBLIC building rule the sign does not have to have the statute listed.
    If this bookstore is a pvt biz you are correct in the sign carries no weight.
    Rebel Books and Rebel Boors II are both private businesses. But IMHO private businesses should not be prohibiting lawful activity that's not a disruption to their business.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297

  11. #11
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    I didn't tell them they couldn't restrict their customers from carrying a firearm, I simply informed them that the sign carried no weight of law. It was a rather polite conversation. The manager informed me that if it were up to her, she wouldn't make such a policy, but their corporate office demanded it.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763

    Cool

    Well the sign does say conceal is a no go. HEHEHEHEHE

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    6
    Correct, the sign ONLY says CONCEALED WEAPONS are not allowed. You are perfectly okay OC in that store, and perfectly fine to point out that their sign does not state anything about OPEN CARRY.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by desertw0lf View Post
    Correct, the sign ONLY says CONCEALED WEAPONS are not allowed. You are perfectly okay OC in that store, and perfectly fine to point out that their sign does not state anything about OPEN CARRY.
    You're OK to conceal in that store as well. If I am CC and I see a sign like that, I completely ignore it. Since the sign carries absolutely no weight of law, it's a meaningless sign. And if I'm properly concealed, they'll never know, and I obviously won't volunteer it.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by timf343 View Post
    You're OK to conceal in that store as well. If I am CC and I see a sign like that, I completely ignore it. Since the sign carries absolutely no weight of law, it's a meaningless sign. And if I'm properly concealed, they'll never know, and I obviously won't volunteer it.
    I wish my sarcasm had come through in text. I understand the sign holds now weight in law, I just wanted to poke fun at it.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Remmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    296
    lol @ these signs, I saw a sign that was almost the exact as this one in a gas station in Valle AZ. I had my 1911 strapped to my hip as all i was getting was ice to go back to my ranch. walked in got my soda and ice paid not a word. walked out to a highway patrol officer trolling the parking lot still nothing went along my merry way.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
    lol @ these signs, I saw a sign that was almost the exact as this one in a gas station in Valle AZ. I had my 1911 strapped to my hip as all i was getting was ice to go back to my ranch. walked in got my soda and ice paid not a word. walked out to a highway patrol officer trolling the parking lot still nothing went along my merry way.
    I may be wrong and I dont have time to search right now, but I thought in AZ those signs are lawful.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Remmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve View Post
    I may be wrong and I dont have time to search right now, but I thought in AZ those signs are lawful.
    I couldnt tell ya but i was OCing so even if I doubt it would apply

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    132
    The only gun signs that hold any weight of law in Arizona are at establishments that serve alcohol, and even if every door is posted, a legal sign must be next to the liquor license.

    In AZ CC is also the only legal form of carry at any establishment that serves alcohol, and you cannot consume any. So OC at Chili's is illegal, CC at Chili's (if they have no posted signs) is legal, but you cannot have a single beer.

    Constitutional carry will still not allow you to carry in liquor serving businesses, even if they are not posted.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Remmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by paintsnow View Post
    The only gun signs that hold any weight of law in Arizona are at establishments that serve alcohol, and even if every door is posted, a legal sign must be next to the liquor license.

    In AZ CC is also the only legal form of carry at any establishment that serves alcohol, and you cannot consume any. So OC at Chili's is illegal, CC at Chili's (if they have no posted signs) is legal, but you cannot have a single beer.

    Constitutional carry will still not allow you to carry in liquor serving businesses, even if they are not posted.
    good information to know

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •