Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALOC Members arrested on July 4th for lawful OC

ALOC Members arrested on July 4th for lawful OC

There were two of us arrested, guns were seized, and we were charged with "Disorderly Conduct." Out on Bail. Sorry can't post any more right now, under the direction of our counsel.

Be on the lookout for more news as it develops!
    A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
    But have his weapons to hand:
    He knows not when he may need a spear,
    Or what menace meet on the road.

- Odin
    The Havamal

Sheesh. That's what you get for exercising a constitutional right in AL (of all places)

Banned
    AL is pretty gun-friendly from the standpoint of the code. However, some sheriff's and police departments are overstepping their bounds.

Best of luck friend.............
    ~The path to enlightenment is often filled with the bodies of the ignorant~

Habeas Armas! Habeas Armas!

Guns seized? Habeas Armas! JBT Alert! You know we shot the Red Coats and had a revolution when they tried to seize our guns at Lexington.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Wait so how long ago was the SCOTUS ruling??? I'd think that'd at least give pause to any cops looking to harass citizens.
    Last edited by t33j; 07-07-2010 at 10:30 PM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by readyfire View Post
    Best of luck friend.............

+1

Re:

I wish he could have stated what department arrested him. Our Attorney General went on TV a few weeks ago explaining that OC was lawful in Alabama. In the same broadcast, Randy Christian of the Jefferson County Sheriffs Dept. made the same statement. He did warn,that, under existing Alabama law, if you open carry then get into your car, the firearm is then a concealed weapon. This sounds like something the "Tragic City" of Birmingham or one of the podunk little wanna-be cities pulled.

Mike

Deo Vindice

how many others arrested on 04JUL?

How ironic it happened that day.
    I was arrested Sunday, too, after attending church OCing (completely legal here in WI).
    Apparently someone was worried. They like the 1st Amendment, but not the 2nd.
    Hypocrites.

Good luck on your cases. Sounds like you have the backing of recent statements by the chief LEO of the state.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ExLipscombChief View Post
    I wish he could have stated what department arrested him. Our Attorney General went on TV a few weeks ago explaining that OC was lawful in Alabama. In the same broadcast, Randy Christian of the Jefferson County Sheriffs Dept. made the same statement. He did warn,that, under existing Alabama law, if you open carry then get into your car, the firearm is then a concealed weapon. This sounds like something the "Tragic City" of Birmingham or one of the podunk little wanna-be cities pulled.

Mike

Deo Vindice
    I missed the AG saying that. Do you know of a link to a transcript or to the video. That would be good to put on the main page of ALOC.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    How ironic it happened that day.
    I was arrested Sunday, too, after attending church OCing (completely legal here in WI).
    Apparently someone was worried. They like the 1st Amendment, but not the 2nd.
    Hypocrites.

Good luck on your cases. Sounds like you have the backing of recent statements by the chief LEO of the state.
    If you feel free to share details, how did things turn out?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    If you feel free to share details, how did things turn out?
    The wheels of justice do turn slowly - suspect that we shall be some time getting the rest of the story.

Best wishes to all involved - hope you teach them a hard lesson.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I missed the AG saying that. Do you know of a link to a transcript or to the video. That would be good to put on the main page of ALOC.
    I'll try to find it. It was on either Channel 6 or 33/40.

Banned
    I'll try to find it. It was on either Channel 6 or 33/40.
    Thanks. I wouldn't have seen it, not getting those channels.

AL is pretty gun-friendly from the standpoint of the code. However, some sheriff's and police departments are overstepping their bounds.
    This is exactly what a retired USAF LE/SF advised me to do: "Get the permit and carry concealed, so you may avoid a disorderly conduct citation."

"Disorderly conduct" for following the law? What blithering idiot cites people for "disorderly conduct" when those people are law-abiding citizens engaging in a lawful activity?

Sounds like it's time for another St. John vs Alamogordo! Case 6:08-cv-00994-BB-LAM Document 48, No. 08-994 BB/LAM, United States District Court For The District of New Mexico.

LOTS of great 42 U.S.C. § 1983 arguements which WON in federal court. Have your counsel review it thoroughly.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    "Disorderly conduct" for following the law?
    Disorderly conduct is a catch-me-all for anything to include sticking your tongue out at someone.
    It's a hole card usually used when there is no real law being broken. Most likely it'll be dismissed. But good luck.

Where's the popcorn? Waiting for more on this story.

Any local news reports on this?

Linky?

Any updates on this?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    10 days since the OP and no confirmation, links or cites?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    10 days since the OP and no confirmation, links or cites?
    We were following the incident on ALOC as it happened, wondering if the event involved any of our own, knowing that some had arranged, in advance, to be there. We found out in the morning that both individuals were members of ALOC.

I can personally assure you that we were following live reports of the incident at the time in the chat on ALOC.

Not good

If all is done right sounds like said officer(s) will get to see the other side of the metal bars. Not to mention the police department is going to be getting a big chuck of their budget taken out of it for a settlement. Best wishes, because you don't need luck. You knew the law better than the police.

Mike

Deo Vindice
    I believe it was City of Birmingham. There are more threads about this in the Alabama forum. Almost looks to me like Mr. Norris has his own personal police detail now.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
    I believe it was City of Birmingham. There are more threads about this in the Alabama forum. Almost looks to me like Mr. Norris has his own personal police detail now.
    Yes, he and another individual were arrested by Birmingham Police Department and taken to the jail. The police don't have a specific vendetta against anyone in Birmingham. I believe that we've been meeting for weeks now and haven't seen a single ON-DUTY LEO until we met with the Sargent and two patrol officers last week, and prior when Jonathon and another were arrested on the forth.

Birmingham operates in a zone/call system. They position officers around the city in general areas and then have one or two officers doing "calls" -- "answering" to requests from the 911 system. This way they can rapidly mobilize a large presence in the event that backup is required.

In last week's specific instance, identification information was not provided to a police officer who requested it. The response by the department (represented by the Sargent) was to ask that the armed persons disperse. A failure to do so would have resulted in disorderly conduct charges. However, Jonathan's interactions on the fourth did not consist of this. Had he made any attempt to resist, he would have either been shot or beaten in a way that would make Rodney King look tame.

It's highly ironic to have ten police officers arrest a man not breaking a law for merely sitting at a table in public with a rifle on his back and a pistol on his side playing chess on a public sidewalk. Especially considering what this city did to unarmed persons sitting in a public park protesting "separate but equal" treatment so many years ago with police, firemen, dogs and firehoses.

Perhaps the problem was that Mr. Norris was not dressed in period attire for the middle 1770s. Of course, that would send confusing messages -- people wouldn't think the rifle was real (it is) and would assume he is merely an actor or re-creationist.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    Linky?
    No, the media doesn't cover every arrest.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast