• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ALOC Members arrested on July 4th for lawful OC

eye95

10 days since the OP and no confirmation, links or cites?

We were following the incident on ALOC as it happened, wondering if the event involved any of our own, knowing that some had arranged, in advance, to be there. We found out in the morning that both individuals were members of ALOC.

I can personally assure you that we were following live reports of the incident at the time in the chat on ALOC.

ken243

Not good

If all is done right sounds like said officer(s) will get to see the other side of the metal bars. Not to mention the police department is going to be getting a big chuck of their budget taken out of it for a settlement. Best wishes, because you don't need luck. You knew the law better than the police.

Daddyo

I wish he could have stated what department arrested him. Our Attorney General went on TV a few weeks ago explaining that OC was lawful in Alabama. In the same broadcast, Randy Christian of the Jefferson County Sheriffs Dept. made the same statement. He did warn,that, under existing Alabama law, if you open carry then get into your car, the firearm is then a concealed weapon. This sounds like something the "Tragic City" of Birmingham or one of the podunk little wanna-be cities pulled.

Mike

Deo Vindice

I believe it was City of Birmingham. There are more threads about this in the Alabama forum. Almost looks to me like Mr. Norris has his own personal police detail now.

Kirbinator

I believe it was City of Birmingham. There are more threads about this in the Alabama forum. Almost looks to me like Mr. Norris has his own personal police detail now.

Yes, he and another individual were arrested by Birmingham Police Department and taken to the jail. The police don't have a specific vendetta against anyone in Birmingham. I believe that we've been meeting for weeks now and haven't seen a single ON-DUTY LEO until we met with the Sargent and two patrol officers last week, and prior when Jonathon and another were arrested on the forth.

Birmingham operates in a zone/call system. They position officers around the city in general areas and then have one or two officers doing "calls" -- "answering" to requests from the 911 system. This way they can rapidly mobilize a large presence in the event that backup is required.

In last week's specific instance, identification information was not provided to a police officer who requested it. The response by the department (represented by the Sargent) was to ask that the armed persons disperse. A failure to do so would have resulted in disorderly conduct charges. However, Jonathan's interactions on the fourth did not consist of this. Had he made any attempt to resist, he would have either been shot or beaten in a way that would make Rodney King look tame.

It's highly ironic to have ten police officers arrest a man not breaking a law for merely sitting at a table in public with a rifle on his back and a pistol on his side playing chess on a public sidewalk. Especially considering what this city did to unarmed persons sitting in a public park protesting "separate but equal" treatment so many years ago with police, firemen, dogs and firehoses.

Perhaps the problem was that Mr. Norris was not dressed in period attire for the middle 1770s. Of course, that would send confusing messages -- people wouldn't think the rifle was real (it is) and would assume he is merely an actor or re-creationist.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
He did warn,that, under existing Alabama law, if you open carry then get into your car, the firearm is then a concealed weapon. This sounds like something the "Tragic City" of Birmingham or one of the podunk little wanna-be cities pulled.

Mike

Deo Vindice

The same law applies here. This is one of the reasons the vast majority of the OC crows here in WA state also have a CPL.