• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ex NYS ccw now in AZ...new law

mintaka

for many years had NYS ccw..there is no open carry in new york, and the rule was if you carry concealed, no part of gun can show...now with new AZ law starting, i open carry in AZ from time to time, i left New york so had to turn in permit, as no longer NYS resident..and havent gotten a ccw anywhere else...my question..being that with new law, a legal carrier can OC, or CC without permit, can the weapon at anytime be partially visible????, or does it have to be concealed fully, or opened fully... only...

mFonz77

Welcome to the forum mintaka. If I understand your post correctly you're a former NY resident curious about carry in AZ in general?

Basically, anyone over the age of 18 can open carry without a permit, end of story. Until July 29 of this year, you can CCW with a permit and after that date, you can CCW with out a permit. If you weapon is accidentally exposed there's no problem, at least not legally. Tactically it's another story.

For more information, read up on the Arizona Revised Statutes Title 13, specifically 13-3112, and read the Arizona page at www.handgunlaw.us

Cheers!

AZkopper

Things get even better on 7/29, but as of now:

Open carry is the constitutional law here in AZ. Open Carry means the handgun must be in a holster on the belt, and the holster mus be wholly or partially visible. Basically, if it is obvious you are armed, it is open carry. You may carry open with "1 in the pipe" (I'd say you SHOULD ALWAYS carry that way). You may open carry anywhere except:
1. Private property posted 'no firearms' (this could be considered trespassing if ignored).
2. Any establishment that serves alcohol for on-premise consumption (bars & restaraunts).
3. Polling places, nuclear or hydroelectric plants, and schools (K-12).
4. Any federal building, including post offices.
5. State and local gov't buildings can forbid weapons, but they must provide lockers for your guns.
6. Public events (fairs, etc) that serve alcohol.

After 7/29, you don't need a concealed weapons permit to generally conceal carry, but all the above restrictions still apply to unlicensed concealed carry. There is no requirement to 'totally conceal' when carrying concealed.

acmariner99

Welcome

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the state of the free! After 7/29 carry away, open or concealed. Before, make sure that it is obvious you have a weapon on you, then you are ok legally. For car carry a glove box, or clearly visible works best. Strapped to your 3 o clock under a seatbelt is a grey area, but after 7/29 it doesn't matter. You will still need a CCW to carry concealed in a bar or restaurant with alcohol for consumption after that date and OC is still a no-no there -- and you cannot drink while carrying. Oh yea, and I believe the new law makes AZ a "must inform" state for lawful stops by law enforcement. Did I miss anything?

paintsnow

Anyone have more info on this?

Thats what the police wanted, but if i remember correctly, it simply states that you must inform them if ASKED. But since you cannot lie to a LEO anyways, its not really a big deal.

IANAL, check this for yourself.

acmariner99

Whoops

I did some checking about the "must inform" aspect of the new law. If the state did make a switch to "must inform" people would probably say more about it. There is no exclusive "must inform" language that I could find in the bill. We have always been asked to surrender a weapon on request by an officer during a lawful stop. I believe you can inform at your own discretion, but must admit to carrying if asked -- so no major change. Please verify this for yourselves.