Thread: Why don't we have DA's like this in Michigan?

Why don't we have DA's like this in Michigan?

Jackson County (Wisconsin) D.A., Gerald Fox, takes the McDonald v. City of Chicago ruling seriously...

http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/html/dis...%20Chicago.pdf
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Banned
    Sounds like a big step towards constitutional carry for them.
    This should be forwarded to every member of the Michigan state legislature.

Cool Why don't we have DA's like this in Michigan?

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Sounds like a big step towards constitutional carry for them.
    This should be forwarded to every member of the Michigan state legislature.
    I'm Game

awesome. i could not believe that he will not enforce laws against automatic knifes. i always loved the aesthetic of vintage switchblades. i would not get one, though, because i do not want to get in trouble.

if they become legal in more states, the prices on the vintage ones will go up fast. some are like pieces of art.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    We have forwarded DA Fox's memo to all other county DA's in the state. So far, no other one has risked publicly supporting it. We have also sent it to the state attorney general who is generally supportive of 2a rights. No official response as of yet.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...nconstituional

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    We have forwarded DA Fox's memo to all other county DA's in the state. So far, no other one has risked publicly supporting it. We have also sent it to the state attorney general who is generally supportive of 2a rights. No official response as of yet.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...nconstituional
    I wish you much luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricianLU58 View Post
    awesome. i could not believe that he will not enforce laws against automatic knifes. i always loved the aesthetic of vintage switchblades. i would not get one, though, because i do not want to get in trouble.

if they become legal in more states, the prices on the vintage ones will go up fast. some are like pieces of art.
    He probably read the part of the Heller opinion where Justice Scalia says "weapons." One is not, by this decision, limited to the use of a handgun. Self defense is the basis of the Second Amendment. Knives are also weapons which have historically been used as self-defensive weapons. Michigan, and many localities within Michigan, ban or restrict the use of Tasers, stun-guns, pepper spray, and other less lethal/non-lethal weapons. With the incorporation of the Second Amendment under McDonald, these bans are seemingly invalid as well.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Jackson County (Wisconsin) D.A., Gerald Fox, takes the McDonald v. City of Chicago ruling seriously...

http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/html/dis...%20Chicago.pdf
    We kinda do. Barry County Michigan Sheriff and Prosecutor don't charge people for exercising their 2A rights along the same lines as this DA. If it's not a criminal act with a gun, they don't arrest/charge.

Sheriff Dar Leaf takes his oath seriously.

PS I noticed how you and I look a lot like our avitars.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    We kinda do. Barry County Michigan Sheriff and Prosecutor don't charge people for exercising their 2A rights along the same lines as this DA. If it's not a criminal act with a gun, they don't arrest/charge.

The Sheriff is a good man!
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Hey. I went and got all gussied up and you say I "look like" my avatar?
    I'm pretty sure Hank Thoreau would be right there with us... although Mass.of.two.sh]ts probably would not be too happy to have him back in the state.

BTW... back OT, did Sheriff Leaf publish this or is this part of a private conversation?

I emailed the Cox campaign and linked to the DA's Press Release. Reason: he has some fans here AND is currently our AG. I asked him, since he signed an Amicus brief regarding the 2A/ McDonald case supporting incorporation, if he would be so bold to PUBLICLY state that Michigan's handgun registration, especially as it concerns out-of-state residents, is patently unconstitutional AND that the 5o restrictions are also unconstitutional (I listed some other laws, too eg: OC spray, knife laws, etc.).

I also said that this would be, at least for me, a sort of litmus test to gauge his support for the 2nd Amendment. He has the opportunity to be a man of his word or a "typical politician" who says the "right things" but refuses to put words into action by ignoring my question. If I receive anything (or don't), I will post it on OCDO-MI.

Mr Cox, if you are reading this, "prevarication='politics as usual'"

Banned
    +1

Damn, I wish we could have a sheriff like that here, in Ingham County.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    this is amazing!
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Damn, I wish we could have a sheriff like that here, in Ingham County.
    He is a very cool guy.. I talked to him at the 2A march and was really amazed!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Banned
    Isnt it a shame when in the case that we meet a responsible leader with the decency and intelligence to understand our rights as they are written, that we are struck with a sense of amazement.

Isnt it a shame when in the case that we meet a responsible leader with the decency and intelligence to understand our rights as they are written, that we are struck with a sense of amazement.
    It is, but that just goes to show that for the most part, we've come to expect the worst of people who are supposed to represent the best. It is refreshing to meet one who knows his job and responsibilities, and doesn't take them lightly. I got to meet Sheriff Mack a few years ago, and I was astonished then. Later I realized, I shouldn't feel astonished. Instead, I feel his and other's attitudes are what we should expect. Too bad it's not what we get.
    Big Gay Al

Banned
    Agreed. I met Sherrif Bouchard while OCing at a tea party this year. He diddnt bat an eye, but his goon squad diddnt seem to appreciate it too much. Maybe they should re read their oath.

Agreed. I met Sherrif Bouchard while OCing at a tea party this year. He diddnt bat an eye, but his goon squad diddnt seem to appreciate it too much. Maybe they should re read their oath.
    They probably erroneously think that it makes their job harder. They need to remember that there likely were a large number of CCers in the crowd.

Banned
    Erroneously is right, OC makes the LEOs job way easier and a lot less stressful all the way around.

Erroneously is right, OC makes the LEOs job way easier and a lot less stressful all the way around.
    The hard part is convincing them of that. For whatever reason, a good number tend to take on an "us versus them" approach to almost everyone who's not a LEO. There are some that do not, most significantly, Sheriff Mack and Bouchard, but so far, I've found them in the minority. I wish it weren't so. In fact, I would like to be proven wrong.

And no, I don't want to see pigs fly either.
    Big Gay Al

Banned
    Never heard of police helicopters?

Just joking guys, dont get all hostile and defensive on me.

Many diddnt like CC either at first, but give it some time, they'll come around. Many already support it, through education, people learn.