• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why don't we have DA's like this in Michigan?

ElectricianLU58

awesome. i could not believe that he will not enforce laws against automatic knifes. i always loved the aesthetic of vintage switchblades. i would not get one, though, because i do not want to get in trouble.

if they become legal in more states, the prices on the vintage ones will go up fast. some are like pieces of art.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
awesome. i could not believe that he will not enforce laws against automatic knifes. i always loved the aesthetic of vintage switchblades. i would not get one, though, because i do not want to get in trouble.

if they become legal in more states, the prices on the vintage ones will go up fast. some are like pieces of art.

He probably read the part of the Heller opinion where Justice Scalia says "weapons." One is not, by this decision, limited to the use of a handgun. Self defense is the basis of the Second Amendment. Knives are also weapons which have historically been used as self-defensive weapons. Michigan, and many localities within Michigan, ban or restrict the use of Tasers, stun-guns, pepper spray, and other less lethal/non-lethal weapons. With the incorporation of the Second Amendment under McDonald, these bans are seemingly invalid as well.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Jackson County (Wisconsin) D.A., Gerald Fox, takes the McDonald v. City of Chicago ruling seriously...

http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/html/district attorney/Documents/McDonald vs. City of Chicago.pdf
We kinda do. Barry County Michigan Sheriff and Prosecutor don't charge people for exercising their 2A rights along the same lines as this DA. If it's not a criminal act with a gun, they don't arrest/charge.

Sheriff Dar Leaf takes his oath seriously.

PS I noticed how you and I look a lot like our avitars.:D

eastmeyers

We kinda do. Barry County Michigan Sheriff and Prosecutor don't charge people for exercising their 2A rights along the same lines as this DA. If it's not a criminal act with a gun, they don't arrest/charge.

The Sheriff is a good man! :exclaim:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

Hey. I went and got all gussied up and you say I "look like" my avatar?:lol:
I'm pretty sure Hank Thoreau would be right there with us... although Mass.of.two.sh]ts probably would not be too happy to have him back in the state.

BTW... back OT, did Sheriff Leaf publish this or is this part of a private conversation?

I emailed the Cox campaign and linked to the DA's Press Release. Reason: he has some fans here AND is currently our AG. I asked him, since he signed an Amicus brief regarding the 2A/ McDonald case supporting incorporation, if he would be so bold to PUBLICLY state that Michigan's handgun registration, especially as it concerns out-of-state residents, is patently unconstitutional AND that the 5o restrictions are also unconstitutional (I listed some other laws, too eg: OC spray, knife laws, etc.).

I also said that this would be, at least for me, a sort of litmus test to gauge his support for the 2nd Amendment. He has the opportunity to be a man of his word or a "typical politician" who says the "right things" but refuses to put words into action by ignoring my question. If I receive anything (or don't), I will post it on OCDO-MI.

Mr Cox, if you are reading this, "prevarication='politics as usual'"

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator

Damn, I wish we could have a sheriff like that here, in Ingham County.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Isnt it a shame when in the case that we meet a responsible leader with the decency and intelligence to understand our rights as they are written, that we are struck with a sense of amazement.
It is, but that just goes to show that for the most part, we've come to expect the worst of people who are supposed to represent the best. It is refreshing to meet one who knows his job and responsibilities, and doesn't take them lightly. I got to meet Sheriff Mack a few years ago, and I was astonished then. Later I realized, I shouldn't feel astonished. Instead, I feel his and other's attitudes are what we should expect. Too bad it's not what we get.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Agreed. I met Sherrif Bouchard while OCing at a tea party this year. He diddnt bat an eye, but his goon squad diddnt seem to appreciate it too much. Maybe they should re read their oath.

They probably erroneously think that it makes their job harder.:banghead: They need to remember that there likely were a large number of CCers in the crowd.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Erroneously is right, OC makes the LEOs job way easier and a lot less stressful all the way around.
The hard part is convincing them of that. For whatever reason, a good number tend to take on an "us versus them" approach to almost everyone who's not a LEO. There are some that do not, most significantly, Sheriff Mack and Bouchard, but so far, I've found them in the minority. I wish it weren't so. In fact, I would like to be proven wrong.

And no, I don't want to see pigs fly either. :)