• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Rural Northern California 2010

AyatollahGondola

September 28, 2010

Trying to keep on track, I did my evening walk carrying exposed. While I have been maintaining my diet, I have noticed that the weight isnt coming off at all now. At the same time, I confess that my activity level isnt as high or as frequent as when I had started. Unless I increase my workout, I suspect I would be stuck at 217-220, more than 10 pounds from my goal..

Might just be a lull. Some poundage comes off easier at first too. Taking off the low lying fruit so-to-speak. Remember the long haul. Also, and I'll say this without any medical proof, it could be the seasonal change. The cold season is upon us soon, and your body could be planning ahead for the extra layers of calories needed for the winter

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Open Carry in Rural Northern California 2010 - Continued

Might just be a lull. Some poundage comes off easier at first too. Taking off the low lying fruit so-to-speak. Remember the long haul. Also, and I'll say this without any medical proof, it could be the seasonal change. The cold season is upon us soon, and your body could be planning ahead for the extra layers of calories needed for the winter

Yeah seasonal change... first Halloween and all the candy, then Thanksgiving with Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, candied yams, and pumpkin pie... [homer]hmmm pie...[/homer] Christmas with the sugar cookies, hot chocolate with a peppermint stick and marshmallows, egg nog with nutmeg, and fruitcake... This will be an interesting holiday season to be sure. I am going to miss all those tasty refined sugar and carbohydrates...

Carry more ammo. LOTS more.

LOL... Yeah, I can see it now...

Police over PA: Sir; put the ammo cans down slowly... and show us your hands!

September 29, 2010

Shortly after I got home from work, I reheated my seasoned chicken breast and nuked my corn. I ate quickly so I could get my hour long walk in before dusk settled over my neighborhood. I took the circuit through the newer development. Traffic was occasional as the subdivision is off the beaten track. Back on the main road, it seems I have garnered a supporter. In some time past, I commented that a grey Toyota pick up with a camper shell beeped at me as they passed. Well they drove by again tonight - tapping the horn as they went by. I waved and finished up my walk.

AyatollahGondola

. Back on the main road, it seems I have garnered a supporter. In some time past, I commented that a grey Toyota pick up with a camper shell beeped at me as they passed. Well they drove by again tonight - tapping the horn as they went by. I waved and finished up my walk.

It could be the baker or the ice cream man. Probably misses you

Carry_Okie

The Gray Area in Front of My Home

I have a question for you: My property line in a rural part of the County goes down the middle of the County road. I occasionally have need to carry my .357 while weeding the more remote parts of my property (coyotes, pigs, cats, snakes...). Sometimes my route takes me to the County road adjoining my property. Is open carry of a loaded weapon legal in California if I am on my property but also walking in a public right of way?

coolusername2007

LOC is legal in unincorporated parts of a county that do not have any shooting restrictions and you are not within 1000' of a K-12 school. And to my knowledge 12031(e) checks are not triggered in LOC territory.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

LOC is legal in unincorporated parts of a county that do not have any shooting restrictions and you are not within 1000' of a K-12 school. And to my knowledge 12031(e) checks are not triggered in LOC territory.

They aren't? (Be careful here.) What constitutes a "prohibited area" in unincorporated territory?

I have a question for you: My property line in a rural part of the County goes down the middle of the County road. I occasionally have need to carry my .357 while weeding the more remote parts of my property (coyotes, pigs, cats, snakes...). Sometimes my route takes me to the County road adjoining my property. Is open carry of a loaded weapon legal in California if I am on my property but also walking in a public right of way?

Ask yourself- Is it a public road or highway? This may be a factor.

October 1, 2010

Anderson, Ca

Mary's Pizza Shack

Carried unloaded and exposed. For those who havent been a member here for more than a couple of years, I arranged to meet a few locals for an open carry lunch. It wasnt held at Mary's Pizza Shack, because I had contacted the restaurant in advance and asked whether they would mind. The managment there politely declined my patronage and spent my money elsewhere.

Two things have changed since then. 1) I don't request permission anymore. and 2) I go to Mary's Pizza Shack anyway.

Tonight represents the 2nd or 3rd time I have enjoyed dinner there while armed. Since it is a weekend night at dinner time, it was busy enough that there was a wait. I put my name in and waited for a table to made available. I was seated in about 10 minutes but in that intervening time I sat with about six other people waiting. They carried on amongst themselves. No weird looks or comments. I was seated directly adjacent to a quartet of silver haired folks as youngsters and their parents were directly across from us. I ordered, was served, and ate. A couple of the staff observed that I was armed but made no comment. I paid and tipped my server. No other notable encounters.

mjones

They aren't? (Be careful here.) What constitutes a "prohibited area" in unincorporated territory?

e-checks in nonprohibited areas are absolutely NOT authorized - read the verbiage of (e) carefully... its the same verbiage about where loaded/unloaded is allowed

(e) In order to determine whether or not a firearm is loaded for
the purpose of enforcing this section, peace officers are authorized
to examine any firearm
carried by anyone on his or her person or in a
vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
incorporated city or prohibited area of an unincorporated territory.
Refusal to allow a peace officer to inspect a firearm pursuant to
this section constitutes probable cause for arrest for violation of
this section.
(f) As used in this section, "prohibited area" means any place
where it is unlawful to discharge a weapon.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Clarification

e-checks in nonprohibited areas are absolutely NOT authorized - read the verbiage of (e) carefully... its the same verbiage about where loaded/unloaded is allowed

(f) As used in this section, "prohibited area" means any place
where it is unlawful to discharge a weapon

You're changing the context of what coolusername2007 wrote. (e) checks can be triggered in unincorporated territory where discharge has been prohibited. Unincorporated territory can generally be assumed to be okay for LOC, but coolusername2007, by saying that (e) checks are not triggered in LOC territory is only sometimes correct. It still depends on whether discharge is prohibited by local ordinance.

Wc

But...

You're changing the context of what coolusername2007 wrote. (e) checks can be triggered in unincorporated territory where discharge has been prohibited. Unincorporated territory can generally be assumed to be okay for LOC, but coolusername2007, by saying that (e) checks are not triggered in LOC territory is only sometimes correct. It still depends on whether discharge is prohibited by local ordinance.

But cool already said that before you...

Originally Posted by coolusername2007

... isn't meaning the same as "prohibited area of an unincorporated territory"? Or are you confusing of LOC in unincorporated territory wasn't discharge except for self-defense rather that in incorporated area for UOC for eChecks?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

There must be a difference in what I read and what I comprehended. I think I was just emphasizing that just because you are in unincorporated territory, doesnt always mean that an (e) check cannot be conducted.

October 2, 2010

Road side litter removal day-

Since I walk the route regularly, I notice when the scenery changes. Lately, there has been a lot of trash being tossed, and its ruining the view. I grabbed a trash bag and a spiked garden tool in addition to my sidearm and set out to clean up the neighborhood. Someone eats too much Burger King, drinks too much vodka from plastic bottles and smokes too many Kool cigarettes. Its a shame really, since the same brands are represented to such exclusivity that it is obvious that whoever is littering is probably one of my neighbors. I worked my way all the way out to the bridge and got halfway back before having to cease litter pick up. The bag was too full to continue. Like last time, carrying a bag full of garbage was a workout. No encounters to report.

Wc

Public road or highway?

Ask yourself- Is it a public road or highway? This may be a factor.

Not so, not only from CVC's definition but the DOT and their associates (FHA, FMCSA, STB and etc.) rules the highway including road, street and intrastate after June 1989 (used to be ICC until 1995). Due to undue of burden from local government included the State.

Beside self-defense, everyone included the hunter can't discharge on or from highway (included road or street) or cross or over its.

Never OC on GFSZ.

wewd

PC 374c makes it unlawful to discharge a firearm from or upon a public road or highway anywhere in California, but that law does not trigger the prohibited area language in PC 12031. 1968 AG memo and People v. Knight make that clear. A lot of people are under the false impression that it is never legal to LOC on or near a roadway, but that's not the case. If the county hasn't designated roads as prohibited areas, then it's legal to carry a loaded handgun there in unincorporated territory. It is not legal to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun on any road with a round in the chamber, due to Fish & Game Code 2006. That is another law that is commonly misinterpreted, frequently by game wardens, who think it applies to any firearm, when it plainly and clearly does not. Many tickets have been written for FGC 2006 for handguns, and probably most people, ignorantly, just pay the fine.

California just has too damn many laws.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

Send the county a bill for hazardous waste removal

I would, however this would only perpetuate a relationship with the government I do not desire. Since they will not want to pay my bills for the service I rendered to the community, they would enact a tax upon me and my neighbors so they would collect the litter on their own timetable and turn it into a commercial venture under the pretext of fighting blight in rural areas. Either that or they would adopt the road to groups of strangers who have no vested interest in this community or commitment to service beyond the promotion of their commercial and political interests. I will keep doing this for free, if only to prevent government involvement or the intrusion of interlopers like "Democratic Friends of Obama" and "McDonald's of Anderson" staking their claim on my street.

October 3, 2010

Trash Pick Up - Part Two

I went back to finish the job this morning. I sauntered up the road with my garbage bag and utensils- both holsttered handgun and my trash picker-upper. Again nothing to report. But both sides of the road for a mile are free of unsightly debris.

After doing some housework I collected my gear (locking case, digital recorder) and drove to Wal*mart and conducted my weekly shopping trip. As it is the beginning of the month, the place was packed. I got my good and was delayed byt the keyed rack they keep the flash drives on in the electronics department. I located an employee and asked them to open the rack so I could purchase one. He helped another customer and opened the rack and handed me the product asked if I needed anything else and went on his way. I finished selecting my grocery shopping and departed without another encounter.

Last edited:

coolusername2007

I read the various replies here, just wanted to chime in since I was called upon. I did not mean to imply that "unicorporated territory" equals "LOC territory". Clearly there are many parts of unincorporated territory where LOC is not legal (good luck finding out where those areas are by the way). However, when I said "LOC territory" I was referring to unincorporated parts of a county without any shooting restrictions.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

October 6, 2010

Took my after dinner walk while carrying exposed. I got up the road a piece and the farmer on his ATV that I see every now and again rode by. He asked if I was broken down or just getting some exersize. I replied affirming the latter. As he went inside the gate at his property he made a point to introduce himself and I responded in kind. I told him about my doctors recommendation to lose weight and he laughed saying thats what all doctors seem to advise. He shared with me that he had stopped using tobacco and how it affected his appetite. No mention was made of the holstered firearm. I made my way up the road and encountered a young couple walking on the same side of the street in the opposite direction. The man asked if I had a lighter. I told him no, that I didnt smoke. The woman asked if I had a cell phone. I stated I did and she asked to use it. I dialed for her and she contacted someone she knew for a ride. The young man asked if I was out shooting things... I replied only if they give me trouble. My phone was handed back to me and we continued on our ways. I had to hustle a little to get back before sunset. No other interaction to report.