• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First LEO encounter

sqrlh8r

I went by the gas station on the way to go frog gigging. One of the LEOs (Reservoir Patrol) sitting at a table started to chat me up, asking me was I about to go frog gigging. I said yes. He said I thought I recognized you from a while back, have you been doing any good. I said yeah, I've even gotten some other people started on it, and they all seem to like it. Well he and the deputies he was sitting with got up to go to their cars.

I turned to the side to head back to the cash register to pay for my drinks. I noticed him do a double-take at the weapon. He asked " you have a permit, right?" I said "Yes, do you need to see it?" He said "Nah, not unless I get a call with a complaint." They went to their cars, and I paid for my drinks. He was sitting in his car when I got out of the door. He motioned me over. He asked me about my dog box, and we talked about hunting for a little bit.

The weapon was a snubby in an Uncle Mike's IWB holster clipped to my overalls at the right hip.

JT

Glad your encounter went well. It bugs me that the LEO wanted to know if you had a firearms permit since you were carrying openly but I'm glad he didn't cause you any trouble. His reaction makes me think he would might have acted differently if he hadn't recognized you as someone he had seen before but you would know that better than me.

Regardless of howmay have reacted, you were covered in several ways.
1. Despite the fact that it's not properly recognized, you have a right to open carry per the state constitution. (Article 3, Section 12)
2. You have the firearms permit.
3. You were going to a "legitimate weapon-related sports activity." (§ 97-37-1, Paragraph 3)

On a side note, it's been ages since I've been out frogging. Gotta change that soon.

turbodog

Glad your encounter went well. It bugs me that the LEO wanted to know if you had a firearms permit since you were carrying openly but I'm glad he didn't cause you any trouble.

Was he OCing? He had an IWB holster but I guess it would depend on which way it was clipped into the overalls.
Clipside in would have had the holster on the outside, OC style. Clipside out would have had the holster in the inside, CC style. I guess it doesn't matter though does it, considering the odd "concealed in whole or in part" thing y'all have to put up with.

Glad it went well anyway.

JT

I assumed he was open carrying. It was open enough for the LEO to see it. Of course with our convoluted interpretation of concealment there really isn't any such thing as open carry in Mississippi except in theory.

sqrlh8r

Didn't do any good froggin'

Apparently the frogs weren't out to play. I only got one, and I used him in my crawfish trap.

Turbodog: Yes, I was OCing. The grip of the weapon was visible above the holster. And I, like most people, think the "in whole or in part" wording is ridiculous.

JT: OC should be allowed without the firearms permit, I realize that. Because I know that it isn't, the LEO's reaction isn't surprising to me. I do have the permit of course. And frog gigging is both/either hunting/fishing so it is covered as a legitimate weapons-related sports activity.

About the fact that you haven't been frog gigging in ages, I say, YOU HAVE MAIL!!