• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

News Record - Open carry on the rise in North Carolina

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/07/06/article/it_s_a_right_some_want_to_protect

SNIP

It's a right some want to protect
Wednesday, July 7, 2010 (Updated 7:53 am)
By Dioni L. Wise
Staff Writer
It’s nothing for 21-year-old Jay Jay Eldridge to strap his .40-caliber handgun to his right hip, whether it’s to go eat a barbecue plate at Stamey’s or just stroll down the street.

But a resident in his High Point neighborhood didn’t know that and recently called the police on him.

“You know, when the cops get a call that there’s a guy walking around with a gun, a few of them show up,” Eldridge said. “So, three cops show up. They just asked me questions — 'Are you 21?’ and stuff like that.

“The first thing the cop said to me was, 'I know you’re not doing anything wrong. I got a call, so I got to check you out.’ ”

Eldridge isn’t out to hurt anyone. He openly carries a gun for his own protection and because, well, it’s lawful.

In North Carolina, state law does not prohibit carrying firearms in the open.

Dozens of “open carriers” like Eldridge are expected next month at the Restore the Constitution Rally at the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park to make people more aware of such gun laws.

Minding the adage of “use it or lose it,” participants at the Aug. 14 event will display their loaded pistols and unloaded rifles to exercise their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

'Read the Constitution’

Randy Dye, a co-organizer of the rally and author of the conservative blog “Randy’s Right,” said he has owned guns nearly all his 58 years. He has openly carried for three years.

Dye, a retired trauma nurse living in Pittsboro, advocates for gun rights and opposes what he considers the federal government’s encroachment of state and individual rights, citing the bank bailout and health care reform as recent examples. The rally’s purpose is to remind people of their right to have guns for self-defense and “to preserve individual freedom.”

The Supreme Court’s 5-4 decision last week that the right to bear arms cannot be violated by state and local governments was “excellent,” Dye said.

“My whole thought is it shows how easily we can lose our constitutional rights,” he said. “That should have never made it to the Supreme Court. The Second Amendment said that right shall never be infringed on.”

When people see Dye with his gun and ask if he’s a police officer, he tells them that he is an armed civilian and that he carries a gun for his protection. He also suggests they read the Constitution.

“The Constitution was specifically written to protect us from the government,” he said. “They foresaw a lot of what’s going on today.”

“Again, the whole idea is to make them more aware and to make this a more open-carry friendly country.”

Open-carry friendly

Dye considers North Carolina one of the more “friendly” states for open-carry advocates. No permits or licenses are required for people in North Carolina to carry a holstered handgun in plain sight.

Most state firearm laws refer to carrying concealed guns. The highly regulated process of getting a concealed-carry permit can take up to 90 days. It requires applicants to meet with their sheriff’s office, undergo a background check, complete a safety training course and pay a $90 fee.

State law does not permit anyone to carry a weapon — concealed or in the open — in bars or restaurants that serve alcohol.

It doesn’t allow guns, rifles or pistols in schools, law enforcement agencies, correctional facilities or state and federal offices, or at parades, funerals or demonstrations.

Maj. Tom Sheppard of the Guilford County Sheriff’s Office said deputies don’t bother open carriers unless they are “going armed to the terror of the people.”
. . .

hotrod08

I wonder what happens when a LEO asks someone under 21 "Are you 21" who is Lawfully open carrying a hand gun

farkles

And pretty sure they only have to be 18, not 21 to open carry (assuming they obtained the weapon legally, there would be no crime)...another thing police are unaware of?

hotrod08

I open carry almost every day and have done so in front of a Greensboro Cop nothing was said and I am 19 (Though I been told I look older)

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Preble - is this you?

EDIT: nm.... I see it IS you.

I read all 10,000 comments on the article... Wow... people got really nasty really fast, and apparently there were several posts I didn't see that got deleted. Bunch of nit-picking know-it-alls! I would have posted & stuck up for you & the cause, but by the time I saw the article (this morning) the comments had long been shutdown.

Last edited:

glock30

Wow, I can only bear so much stupid at one time. I find myself wanting to slap an anti more and more. Our educational system has failed miserably. Without guns in the hands of ordinary citizens this country would not exist.

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States
Thank you guys, it's crazy how stupid people are on there.

Mainly that airdoc guy. I'd post but I don't feel the need to defend myself to antis that make up reasons why I open carry. It's crazy because I had my hat on backwards I look thugish, and they would not trust me.......but I bet if someone were to start shooting, they would be the first one behind me wanting to be protected. I do it for attention and not cause I support the 2ed admenment wth is that ****, that's why I own more guns then I have fingers and toes.

I can go on all night but I'm not going to. Ugh

But I'm glad that some people get it... Sadly some don't.

And that lady that won't eat at stameys cause they allow guns, what a nut case. I bet she never eats there anyways.
I should make a list of places she can't eatt because guns are allowed there...

Posted via iPhone so it's hard to proof read.

papa bear

discrimanation in restaurants

as i was perusing this, a thought acured to me. it was said in the comments of the articles that excersizing your rights ( to carry) (that you are born with) in a restaurant, could make a few people "uncomfortable", so you should not be allowed to go into that restaurant
now there are people that would be uncomfortable with being in a restaurant with a person born of a different race, religion, or ethnic group. So, does that mean that the restaurant should restrict these groups from coming into the restaurant? what do you think would happen?
the fear that some bad guy is going to cause trouble is more real, and more likely to happen then, than fearing an armed citizen is going to cause a problem

sultan62

I agree that one should not be required to disarm or leave because another is uncomfortable (excluding private property and owner rights).

However, it's not in the same category as race or sex. Religion, sure.

Smith45acp

I wish I had had a chance to post some on this article before it was closed.

Several people who seemed to be ok with the idea of open carry in and of itself expressed concerns about gun grabbing scenarios. I think these could have been addressed.

I've always been concerned about that myself when I carry, and so I purchased a serpa to curtail that risk. if a bad guy doesn't know how to operate it he aint getting that pistol out before I can stop the attempt.

So when someone recently asked me about that risk I volunteered to give them a 5 second head start before I move to stop them (with an unloaded gun of course) and they were sated in their failed attempt.

I do urge OC'ers to use a retention holster but I'm not going to lecture someone about it.

hydroxside

Wow people like that lady have no idea how bad it is these days my wifew works for a bank in archdale. She was told about another bank in the same company got robbed the bad guy told the teller put the money in the bag no die packs and don't call the police I know where u live and I have been watching u so don't try anything funny. The next day after the guy robbed the place he came back in the same bank wearing the same clothes and just standing their watching that teller then left maybe10 min. Later so I wonder what miss judy would have done.