• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone following this?

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I saw it last night, not really following it, but have taken it under advisement and I will check it pretty much daily.

I do not know the parties involved or have even a semi-accurate idea of what happened. While I do tend to be curious, since this person has gotten themselves into an issue with the law however proper or improper it might be, the less it is talked about, the better their odds of a positive outcome.

There is a rumor I talk a lot so I tend to shy away from participation in such threads simply because I honestly believe the parties involved should not be discussing it at all.

zekester

I saw it last night, not really following it, but have taken it under advisement and I will check it pretty much daily.

I do not know the parties involved or have even a semi-accurate idea of what happened. While I do tend to be curious, since this person has gotten themselves into an issue with the law however proper or improper it might be, the less it is talked about, the better their odds of a positive outcome.

There is a rumor I talk a lot so I tend to shy away from participation in such threads simply because I honestly believe the parties involved should not be discussing it at all.

I have not participated in the thread....but what I have read and a few PM's that I have gotten....It just seems like a good cause...

If anyone is not comfortable sending money, I can respect that, I only hope that if I get in a bind, I can expect the same.

I guess all I am saying is....we are all in it together, or we fight our own fight. I for one will do my best to be there for each of you that wish to fight for our RIGHT...whether it be here or across the country.

Z

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I guess all I am saying is....we are all in it together, or we fight our own fight. I for one will do my best to be there for each of you that wish to fight for our RIGHT...whether it be here or across the country.

Z

LOL

You said following it, not contributing to it.

I have not done so yet, I might do so in the future.

I am still trying to figure out why they have not set up a fund for it instead of direct mail to the firm. I do not like that part, it is unusual, not saying it ain't legit, just not the normal path one takes.

Statistically, less than 5% will donate a dime. Lots of folks talk about it, but very few actually do it.

zekester

LOL

You said following it, not contributing to it.

I have not done so yet, I might do so in the future.

I am still trying to figure out why they have not set up a fund for it instead of direct mail to the firm. I do not like that part, it is unusual, not saying it ain't legit, just not the normal path one takes.

Statistically, less than 5% will donate a dime. Lots of folks talk about it, but very few actually do it.

Then I guess I am saying....contibute if you can or want to.

I just wanted to bring this to the attention of the MO people...

Z

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Do you have some particular experience suggesting that "it is unusual"?

I do not trust anyone that would volunteer to administer a fund that is not strictly controlled by principles and statute. A lawyer is controlled by his canons of ethics.

Money is at the root of all infringements of the Second Amendment and especially in Wisconsin.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I do not trust anyone that would volunteer to administer a fund that is not strictly controlled by principles and statute. A lawyer is controlled by his canons of ethics.

Money is at the root of all infringements of the Second Amendment and especially in Wisconsin.

Setting up an irrevocable charitable trust fund and it qualifies under IRS tax code as deductible as well as tax free for the fund itself.

If in fact something similar is not done and her case becomes some what expensive and donations do wind up rolling in and amount to a large sum, a sizable tax burden could be left over at the end. Typically when a legal defense fund is set up, it is set up in such a manner to prevent this through such a thing as an irrevocable charitable trust which is pretty bound up by law and a board, not a single person distributes it. Reporting is fairly reasonable and banks are pretty used to such things.

There may be even more paths to follow, others with more benefit to the recipient. Checks directly to pay the law firm are going to be clearly defined as taxable income and subject to as much as 39% taxation, not the best use of the donated funds IMHO.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
As is evident from a few other post, I can be a bit abrasive, especially when frustrated, if such came through in these postings, disregard it as there was no intent.

I really do care a lot about such issues being handled correctly and an irrevocable charitable trust may well not be the best way to handle the situation, but something that protects the person charged from a tax burden in the end is quite important. While we may not like how gun owners are often treated by the government, it pales in comparison to how the IRS can treat anyone.

If it is suspected the whole total will be 5k or under, it very well might be an issue, but seeing them get a 4k tax bill in April next year because they were not protected from it properly IMHO is a waste of money.

paul@paul-fisher.com

As is evident from a few other post, I can be a bit abrasive, especially when frustrated, if such came through in these postings, disregard it as there was no intent.

I really do care a lot about such issues being handled correctly and an irrevocable charitable trust may well not be the best way to handle the situation, but something that protects the person charged from a tax burden in the end is quite important. While we may not like how gun owners are often treated by the government, it pales in comparison to how the IRS can treat anyone.

If it is suspected the whole total will be 5k or under, it very well might be an issue, but seeing them get a 4k tax bill in April next year because they were not protected from it properly IMHO is a waste of money.

Thanks for the input. It is something to think about. I guess it will all depend if she is actually charged.

peterarthur

I knew Wisconsin was no place for 2A people and this further confirms it. You are braver than I am to stay in such a jackboot infested state. Good luck.

peterarthur

"Decided not to cite a woman"??? How COULD they cite her? If she had broken the law BEFORE they pulled her over, they might have a case. Just because she WAS breaking the law by carrying a concealed loaded weapon does not mean they can cite her if they found this out by making an ILLEGAL stop as she had not committed a crime by carrying to church.

So nice of the prosecutors not to cite her... as if they had any choice...

Last edited: