• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody shoot IDPA?

irish52084

I'm interested in getting started in IDPA and wondered if anybody knew where matches are held and what the associated costs are? I know I need and IDPA membership, but, roughly, how much $$ am I going to need to spend on ammo and gear if I shot IDPA 1-2 a month? Where are matches held on weekends? I work mon-fri, but I start around 3pm, so weekday shoots don't really work for me.

P.S. I live in the puyallup area, forgot to give that info.

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

oldkim

Dude update your location...

Well, I'm going to assume you are in Washington, at least....

First check out www.idpa.com

You can do several things on their site -
1) is find locations around you
2) read the rule book - get a general idea of the rules and scoring
3) general hints on what to have and do for your "first match"

Another local site would be www.nwppa-idpa.com this is the Washington State Local Chapter of IDPA

There are many clubs in the area that host IDPA events each month and throughout the year in Washington State.
Most are held during the weekend. We all kinda work too. Well, I don't know if you want to call what I do work but they pay me really good.

Here are several locations but again since I don't know where you live...

*Renton Fish and Game Club every third Saturday
New shooters should arrive no later than 8am to go through their new shooter orientation
Cost: $15

Marksman in Tacoma

Norpoint in Arlington

West Coast Armory in Factoria

Black Diamond Gun Club

North Whidbey Sportmen Association

Jefferson County Sportsmen Association

You can get the contacts for each when you check out the IDPA website.

When you read the "New Shooter" Basically you just need a good holster (one that will withstand multiple reholstering) and some magazines (recommend 3-5+). Ammo about 2 boxes+ The more is better for someone that is new but typically a match round count is anywhere from 70-120 rounds. Just depends on how many stages and how many shots per stage.

My biggest hint to a new shooter is go and shoot a match - make sure you check your attitude (this means several things). What I mean by this is one go with the idea you are going to learn something new. Take it slow and safe. Keep an open mind, the hints people give are meant to help not criticize. You are not going to be a "Master" level shooter on your first day. Be safe and make sure you follow the Safety Officer's commands. If you don't understand them - stop and ask. And lastly, Have fun!

irish52084

oldkim, thanks for the info. I'm in the Puyallup area.

I'll have to check out the Renton fish and game club as their schedule seems to fill my needs the best. Have you been to the Renton fish and game club? If so how's the facility?

Good to know that I'll need 3+ mags and 100+ rounds per match. I'll make sure and check out the idpa website and get my membership.

I've never done any shooting competitions so this will be a learning experience. Seems like the easiest and cheapest shooting organization to get started with.

oldkim

You might want to try out...

Sure thing... You might want to check out the Marksman off Canyon Road - it's indoor so it's not too weather dependent.

Renton Fish and Game is a great club - the IDPA matches are so popular now that the attendance has reached over 100 shooters per match. It's an outdoor facility with 6-7 bays for shooting stages for IDPA/USPSA.

All you have to do is drive in - the drive way, make a left and go pass the shotgun fields... as the road turns right you'll see the "Action Bays" - park and walk down into the action bays. You'll see the sign in shack on your far right. Sign in, pay and fill out the forms.

Bring a pen, exact change helps ($15). Do know this is a "Cold Range" which basically means no loaded firearms - no magazine in the gun or round in chamber. You can load magazines almost everywhere (except in the "safety area") - just can't handle your firearm (except when on the firing line and instructed to do so by the safety officer). It's best to just show up with all your gear in a bag - keep your gun unloaded (just makes it easier) but all your magazines loaded to 10 rounds (this is not who's gun can hold the most ammo).

Check on their website: July 17 is a regular match. August is the State Championships.
www.nwppa-idpa.com