Thread: Here is a great question I have not seen asked here.

Exclamation Here is a great question I have not seen asked here.

If you have a cpl and you are unarmed in your car, and you get pulled over, since you do not disclose, when the officer runs your Id and sees you have a cpl, is that reasonable suspicion to search your vehicle, since you did not disclose and could be armed?

Quote Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes View Post
    If you have a cpl and you are unarmed in your car, and you get pulled over, since you do not disclose, when the officer runs your Id and sees you have a cpl, is that reasonable suspicion to search your vehicle, since you did not disclose and could be armed?
    I'm sure one of the more educated members will come along shortly, but I can't see how a license for something is probable cause to be searched.

Does the presence of a fishing license allow them to search your vehicle and make sure you haven't taken more than your limit when you haven't even been fishing? Now granted you are not required to disclose to an officer that you have fish taken under the authority of your license, but still I feel the principle is the same.

no, and not

no requirement to disclose if you dont have a gun,
    not having a gun is not RAS for a search,
    the cop could push his argument, but his suspissions wouldnt be reasonable!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.
    If you are following the law how can they, reasonably, use that as justification that you're breaking the law.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

I always thought that you had to disclose you have a cpl and let them know whether you are or are not carrying in the car. My thoughts were because if you don't say anything, and do not have a gun, he will go run your license, see you have a cpl and come back on high alert wondering why you did not tell you you are legal to carry a gun.

Banned
    That's what I was thinking too.

as long as you are not carrying, who cares if the cop is on high alert or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pouget View Post
    I always thought that you had to disclose you have a cpl and let them know whether you are or are not carrying in the car. My thoughts were because if you don't say anything, and do not have a gun, he will go run your license, see you have a cpl and come back on high alert wondering why you did not tell you you are legal to carry a gun.
    Nope you are only required to disclose IF you are carrying!

(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...me=mcl-28-425f
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

If you are following the law how can they, reasonably, use that as justification that you're breaking the law.

Bronson
    Probable cause and reasonable suspicion are judged by a totality of the circumstances. That means the officer needs to take ALL of the facts into consideration and weigh them. IMHO,as Bronson said, by following the law you would probably mitigate any suspicion.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Mere licensure, alone, is insufficient to establish either "reasonable articulable suspicion" or "probable cause".

Example: I have an explosives/marijuana/exotic dancing permit and an MSP officer who knows that I am so licensed sees me enter a school/post office/mall/hospital. Does he have the abiility to question me? Yes. He can always ask me questions, but I don't have to answer. Does he have the legal authority to stop me? No. Not if that is the only information that he possesses that a crime may be afoot. Does he have the legal authority to search me? No.

Banned
    You have an exotic dancing permit? Or were you joking.

Since it came up, do you know if someone can posses a medical marijuana permit and a CPL? Or would one cause problems for the other? I don't smoke, but its been discussed here before, without successful resolution.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 07-08-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Cool

weed and a gun,,,,,,,,,,,,,theres a snake you shouldn't step on

Banned
    Legally perhaps. Stoners tend to be pretty laid back.

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, USA
    As stated above you are only required by law to disclose when you are carrying concealed. But I have been told that it would be a nice gesture to disclose that you are not carrying but it is not required by law.