• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here is a great question I have not seen asked here.

kyleplusitunes

If you have a cpl and you are unarmed in your car, and you get pulled over, since you do not disclose, when the officer runs your Id and sees you have a cpl, is that reasonable suspicion to search your vehicle, since you did not disclose and could be armed?

sevenplusone

If you have a cpl and you are unarmed in your car, and you get pulled over, since you do not disclose, when the officer runs your Id and sees you have a cpl, is that reasonable suspicion to search your vehicle, since you did not disclose and could be armed?

I'm sure one of the more educated members will come along shortly, but I can't see how a license for something is probable cause to be searched.

Does the presence of a fishing license allow them to search your vehicle and make sure you haven't taken more than your limit when you haven't even been fishing? Now granted you are not required to disclose to an officer that you have fish taken under the authority of your license, but still I feel the principle is the same.

Bronson

(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.

If you are following the law how can they, reasonably, use that as justification that you're breaking the law.

Bronson

Pouget

I always thought that you had to disclose you have a cpl and let them know whether you are or are not carrying in the car. My thoughts were because if you don't say anything, and do not have a gun, he will go run your license, see you have a cpl and come back on high alert wondering why you did not tell you you are legal to carry a gun.

autosurgeon

I always thought that you had to disclose you have a cpl and let them know whether you are or are not carrying in the car. My thoughts were because if you don't say anything, and do not have a gun, he will go run your license, see you have a cpl and come back on high alert wondering why you did not tell you you are legal to carry a gun.

Nope you are only required to disclose IF you are carrying!

(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(zp...eg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-28-425f

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

If you are following the law how can they, reasonably, use that as justification that you're breaking the law.

Bronson

Probable cause and reasonable suspicion are judged by a totality of the circumstances. That means the officer needs to take ALL of the facts into consideration and weigh them. IMHO,as Bronson said, by following the law you would probably mitigate any suspicion.

Hyperion

Mere licensure, alone, is insufficient to establish either "reasonable articulable suspicion" or "probable cause".

Example: I have an explosives/marijuana/exotic dancing permit and an MSP officer who knows that I am so licensed sees me enter a school/post office/mall/hospital. Does he have the abiility to question me? Yes. He can always ask me questions, but I don't have to answer. Does he have the legal authority to stop me? No. Not if that is the only information that he possesses that a crime may be afoot. Does he have the legal authority to search me? No.

stainless1911

Banned
You have an exotic dancing permit? Or were you joking.

Since it came up, do you know if someone can posses a medical marijuana permit and a CPL? Or would one cause problems for the other? I don't smoke, but its been discussed here before, without successful resolution.

Last edited: