• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA starting to recognize OC?

Broondog

i know it's not much but as i was perusing the latest NRA Store catalog i noticed that they now tout their Travelers Guide to Firearm Laws as having info on "applicable open and concealed carry...."

http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product.aspx?productid=PB 01566

like i said, it's not much but it's a start. i thought i saw another reference in print to OC by the NRA in one of their rags. if i find it again i'll point it out.

zack991

"NRA starting to recognize OC?" Yeah, as a threat to the NRA business model!

They will never, ever support open carry, it go against everything they practice. They are not going to put their name out like that to support us and they will compromise. They will state that yes it is legal in many states. Yet they will say they DO NOT advise their members to open carry.

Last edited:

Broondog

They will never, ever support open carry, it go against everything they practice. They are not going to put their name out like that to support us and they will compromise. They will state that yes it is legal in many states. Yet they will say they DO NOT advise their members to open carry.

i guess i do not take advice very well. :)

i was just surprised to see those words in an NRA product description.

Michigander

"NRA starting to recognize OC?" Yeah, as a threat to the NRA business model!

The NRA manipulates politicians, whereas open carry can alter public opinions, leading to a more massive push for pro gun politicians without the aid of the NRA. It is indeed a threat to their business model, although if they were actually in solid favor of gun rights they'd have been sending open carriers legal council when they got falsely prosecuted, as well as publishing tons of articles about the importance of openly carrying, and using their lobbying might to reverse the Jim Crow anti open carry laws found in the south. It is yet another reason why I have never joined the NRA, and don't intend to do so any time soon.

wrightme

Really? Do they actually say this, or do you just believe "they will say this?"

wrightme

You are right Doug. NRA is at the core of the concealed carry instruction industry (C2I2) and OC threatens their revenue stream.

NRA KISS MY @$$
What "revenue stream" do you allege is threatened by OC?

Makes you wonder why they support open carry, eh? If it threatens a revenue stream, why do they show this on their website.....

Thursday, March 11, 2010
On Tuesday, March 9, during a City Council work session, City attorney Kyle Smith and Police Chief Ron Miller proposed banning the open carrying of firearms in Topeka. In 2007, the city council repealed its ban on the open carry of firearms, so it’s unclear why these officials have now proposed reinstituting such an ordinance. Since then, there have been no instances of unlawfulness or violence regarding open carry. The claims and "what ifs" stated by the opponents are unfounded and not supported by any research or facts. They are simply using scare tactics to push more stringent gun restrictions on the citizens of Topeka.
Please contact your City Council member and urge him or her not to consider this anti-gun proposal.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=5560&issue

Dreamer

Whenever I visit the NRA HQ range or museum in Fairfax VA, I make sure to very conspicuously OC.

And I let them know how much I love the fact that VA is an OC state, and how much I enjoy OCing there, just like I can at home in NC. And I also let them know how much I hate the fact that MD doesn't trust law-abiding citizens to carry at all.

And I make sure to say all those things when there are lots of other people in the lobby.

And I make sure to have a few dozen "VA Gun Rights" brochures in my range bag to hand out to the locals.

The NRA staffers may not like it, but they never say anything to the contrary. I guess as long as I am spending my money on their range, they'll be polite.

The more we (the OC community) let the NRA know how we feel, and how it would be a good thing if they would "get with the program", the more likely they are to step up. When they realize we represent a significant portion of active gun-rights voices, they might be a little more supportive to the cause...

t33j

Whenever I visit the NRA HQ range or museum in Fairfax VA, I make sure to very conspicuously OC.

And I let them know how much I love the fact that VA is an OC state, and how much I enjoy OCing there, just like I can at home in NC. And I also let them know how much I hate the fact that MD doesn't trust law-abiding citizens to carry at all.

And I make sure to say all those things when there are lots of other people in the lobby.

And I make sure to have a few dozen "VA Gun Rights" brochures in my range bag to hand out to the locals.

The NRA staffers may not like it, but they never say anything to the contrary. I guess as long as I am spending my money on their range, they'll be polite.

The more we (the OC community) let the NRA know how we feel, and how it would be a good thing if they would "get with the program", the more likely they are to step up. When they realize we represent a significant portion of active gun-rights voices, they might be a little more supportive to the cause...

When I went to the NRA range I was a disappointed to note that nobody but myself and the girl behind the counter who took my money was OCing. (among a crowded lobby and full range) The rest of the staff was presumably CCing, and I know at least 2 of the instructors were CCing.
smiley-rolleyes006.gif

I'll probably only visit once more.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Really? Do they actually say this, or do you just believe "they will say this?"

I don't believe I have ever heard NRA make an explicit statement opposed.

However, Zack991's comment lines up well with I know.

1. NRA is heavily supportive of CC instructors.

2. It is an article of faith among many CCers that you never, ever let your gun show in public. Element of surprise, and don't scare the soccer moms, and don't get police calls against yourself.

3. Police opposition to OC is so common as to be almost axiomatic.

4. NRA is seems heavily supportive of police or connected to police. It seems like I've seen a number of NRA publications or releases with some reference to training cop instructors, or making some community service activity in connection with police. It is almost as if the NRA puts police on a pedestal. Or, capitalizes on public affections for police. (Unless the police are confiscating guns after a hurricane.)

Also, you should have seen the fuss a couple years ago when they sent out an NRA-ILA alert about CC in alcohol-serving restaurants. They basically said carry was a no-no in such places, or something that omitted the perfect legality of OC in such businesses. When VA OCers pointed out the error, their response was that it was not an OC issue. Huh? How about just an issue of getting things right. Eventually they changed the e-mail alert.

In any event, I don't see NRA being openly supportive of OC anytime soon unless the political winds of the gun world make it beneficial to them.

wrightme

I don't believe I have ever heard NRA make an explicit statement opposed.

However, Zack991's comment lines up well with I know.

1. NRA is heavily supportive of CC instructors.
NRA is heavily supportive of instructors.

2. It is an article of faith among many CCers that you never, ever let your gun show in public. Element of surprise, and don't scare the soccer moms, and don't get police calls against yourself.
It is not an 'article of faith' among all CCers. Claims that a permitholder may NOT OC is a fallacy that many CC instructors seem to try to perpetuate.

3. Police opposition to OC is so common as to be almost axiomatic.
That typically depends upon locale.
4. NRA is seems heavily supportive of police or connected to police. It seems like I've seen a number of NRA publications or releases with some reference to training cop instructors, or making some community service activity in connection with police. It is almost as if the NRA puts police on a pedestal. Or, capitalizes on public affections for police. (Unless the police are confiscating guns after a hurricane.)

Also, you should have seen the fuss a couple years ago when they sent out an NRA-ILA alert about CC in alcohol-serving restaurants. They basically said carry was a no-no in such places, or something that omitted the perfect legality of OC in such businesses. When VA OCers pointed out the error, their response was that it was not an OC issue. Huh? How about just an issue of getting things right. Eventually they changed the e-mail alert.

In any event, I don't see NRA being openly supportive of OC anytime soon unless the political winds of the gun world make it beneficial to them.
They have already been openly supportive of OC, as in the Topeka KS example.

The Expert

It seems that there is a lot of animosity against the NRA on this and other OC forums when compared to other boards I frequent.

I remember Ted Nugent saying that the NRA was the "Biggest Fist In the Fight" for gun rights. While many of the anti-NRA voices will never admit it, the landscape of our nation would probably be more akin to Australia and the UK if they were not doing what they do. Probably sooner in fact.