• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA starting to recognize OC?

Thundar

NRA is not your friend.

It seems that there is a lot of animosity against the NRA on this and other OC forums when compared to other boards I frequent.

I remember Ted Nugent saying that the NRA was the "Biggest Fist In the Fight" for gun rights. While many of the anti-NRA voices will never admit it, the landscape of our nation would probably be more akin to Australia and the UK if they were not doing what they do. Probably sooner in fact.

The NRA is the biggest fist in the Perks for Permittees movement.

The big gun in the Gun Rights Movement is the SAF and their lawyer Alan Gura.

If you think I am wrong, imagine where we would be without Heller and MacDonald, and soon Parker v. DC (RIght to bear arms).

The NRA is so wrapped up in the preservation of their political power and their cash flow that they seem to fit the very definition of a self licking ice cream cone!

If they wanted to be serious about RKBA as a civil right, they would work toward 50 state constitutional carry. But no, they work at a different level

Broondog

i see a recurring theme, not just here but on all of the other gun boards i frequent.

"i won't support the NRA because....."

is the NRA perfect? no. are you? your wife/husband/sig? your best friend? the people you helped elect to office?

nobody is perfect but we support them nonetheless. when they do something we don't like we tell them about it. we also suggest that they do things we wish they would.

being a single issue person makes one narrow minded. say for instance that your best friend for the last 30yrs decided to be a Chevy (CC) proponent instead of a Ford (OC) lover? would you then not support your friend in anything else and alienate them? or if your favorite eatery stopped serving your favorite dish? would you stop going there or would you continue to go there (support them) because of your overall good experiences there?

pretty silly examples, eh? but i believe that they illustrate my point in the fact that we must all consider that things are not always going to go the way that we would like them to. there is a bigger picture than just ourselves and we can't make everyone else adhere to the way we think or what we want. to believe anything else is pretty damned selfish.

then again, maybe i should go single issue with Steak-N-Shake. they have great burgers and shakes but their fries suck. i'll just stop going there. NOT!

USMC1911

i see a recurring theme, not just here but on all of the other gun boards i frequent.

"i won't support the NRA because....."

is the NRA perfect? no. are you? your wife/husband/sig? your best friend? the people you helped elect to office?

nobody is perfect but we support them nonetheless. when they do something we don't like we tell them about it. we also suggest that they do things we wish they would.

being a single issue person makes one narrow minded. say for instance that your best friend for the last 30yrs decided to be a Chevy (CC) proponent instead of a Ford (OC) lover? would you then not support your friend in anything else and alienate them? or if your favorite eatery stopped serving your favorite dish? would you stop going there or would you continue to go there (support them) because of your overall good experiences there?

pretty silly examples, eh? but i believe that they illustrate my point in the fact that we must all consider that things are not always going to go the way that we would like them to. there is a bigger picture than just ourselves and we can't make everyone else adhere to the way we think or what we want. to believe anything else is pretty damned selfish.

then again, maybe i should go single issue with Steak-N-Shake. they have great burgers and shakes but their fries suck. i'll just stop going there. NOT!

I have been an NRA member for almost 30 years. In that time I have always paid my dues, I always contribute (what I can) to their causes, and I stood behind them all the while. I have written letters, I have sent e-mails, I have made phone calls, but I never seem to get any traction with my seemingly small (to them) matters. Now with the recent Supreme Court’s ruling on 2A rights, and what I perceive as a sell out by the NRA backing down from the political powers to be, I can no longer support them, either with my words, nor my $$$. IANAL and that is My Personnel .02

Semper Fi

Jack House

or if your favorite eatery stopped serving your favorite dish? would you stop going there or would you continue to go there (support them) because of your overall good experiences there?
I love Jalisco's, and they have great service. Unless you're a LEO, then they hate you and as such the service sucks. But the moment they stop serving the ground beef nachos is the moment I stop eating there. It is, after all, the only plate on the menu I am interested in. Therefore it would be perfectly reasonable for me to stop eating there.

Likewise, if the only issue I am interested in affecting is open carry and gun group A either does not care about said issue, or worse, are hostile towards the issue, then why should I support them? Shouldn't I be directing all of my support to the groups that do care for and champion the issue I am concerned about?

wrightme

I love Jalisco's, and they have great service. Unless you're a LEO, then they hate you and as such the service sucks. But the moment they stop serving the ground beef nachos is the moment I stop eating there. It is, after all, the only plate on the menu I am interested in. Therefore it would be perfectly reasonable for me to stop eating there.
But as a simple customer, you might be able to influence them to return the item you desire to the menu. Get others to help you by calling or speaking to them to pressure them with numbers.

Jack House said:
Likewise, if the only issue I am interested in affecting is open carry and gun group A either does not care about said issue, or worse, are hostile towards the issue, then why should I support them? Shouldn't I be directing all of my support to the groups that do care for and champion the issue I am concerned about?
Same tactic applies. Get enough of those who agree with you to pressure them to "keep OC on the menu," or even to make it a "house special" that they actively present.
But, in it all, you must keep in mind that at times, it is not possible to keep serving ground beef nachos if the FDA has severely regulated ground beef due to mad cow disease this year. It may be easier to pressure the restaurant to work towards keeping nachos on the menu with an easier to attain meat. THEN when the regulatory climate is less restrictive towards ground beef, they will be easier to persuade to work towards keeping ground beef nachos on the menu.

If firearms are outlawed in say Chicago, it would not make sense to try to press for "OC friendly" statute, until the regulatory climate changes. It DOES make sense to press for it when a city like Topeka tries to outlaw it.

All battles are not currently worth fighting, but those battles may be better fought later in the game. "Choose your battles" is an apt description of how the NRA works it.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
They have already been openly supportive of OC, as in the Topeka KS example.

Thanks for the cite. I was unaware. Maybe they are starting to budge a little.

During my first two-year membership, I really started to notice the scare tactics, and the bureaucratic flavor of the NRA. I did not renew.

So, maybe we are seeing a bit of waking up on the part of the NRA? Maybe a little bit of, "Oh, these guys are getting somewhere. They're not just kooks and flakes"?

Just based on my estimate of human nature, I don't see in this that the NRA is suddenly changing all of its spots. Even if NRA came out with an open declaration of rights expressly stating that open carry is the original right and is deserving of great support, it would not mean the remaining distasteful characteristics were gone.

Separately, lets make a distinction. A person might distinguish five levels of support toward NRA. Althought there are more in between, I'll just use these to illustrate:
  1. dues paying member, active support
  2. gun rights supporter, willing to ally with NRA on certain issues
  3. gun rights supporter, NRA critic, willing to ally on certain issues
  4. gun rights supporter, open opposition to NRA
  5. anti-gun, open and active enemy of NRA
I'm somewhere between #2 and #3. Having seen their behaviors during my membership, and their behaviors since then, I am unwilling to actively support NRA. If they and I turn up on the same side of the fence on any given issue, fine, I'll be glad for the ally. In the meantime, I will sometimes alert others to their negative characteristics; other times I won't.

wrightme

@Citizen,

I see another one for your list here often....

4.5 gun rights supporter, open and active enemy of NRA
RMGO/NRAWOL/GOA qualifies for this, as do multiple OCDO forum members.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
It seems that there is a lot of animosity against the NRA on this and other OC forums when compared to other boards I frequent.

I remember Ted Nugent saying that the NRA was the "Biggest Fist In the Fight" for gun rights. While many of the anti-NRA voices will never admit it, the landscape of our nation would probably be more akin to Australia and the UK if they were not doing what they do. Probably sooner in fact.

Bear in mind Ted's intended audience. It is one thing for Ted to say it to an audience supportive of gun rights or ambivalent in some degree to certain aspects of gun rights. It is something else entirely for it to be said to an audience of hard-core, discerning, knowledgeable, pro-gun activists who daily openly carry their activism loaded on their belt. The latter audience finds it entirely too easy to respond:

And what would the rights landscape look like if NRA knocked off the bureaucratic, self-interested nonsense, really rolled up their sleeves and tackled the anti-gun crowd head-on, full steam, with no concessions? And actually worked to roll back the anti-gun progress in the last 40 years? What would the rights landscape look like if NRA had fought tooth-and-nail in opposition to the NFA? Or, fought tooth-and-nail since the 1930's to roll back large chunks of the NFA? What would the rights landscape look like if NRA had fought head-on the 1986 closure of the machine gun registry, or fought tooth-and-nail since then to re-open it?

Michigander

And what would the rights landscape look like if NRA knocked off the bureaucratic, self-interested nonsense, really rolled up their sleeves and tackled the anti-gun crowd head-on, full steam, with no concessions? And actually worked to roll back the anti-gun progress in the last 40 years? What would the rights landscape look like if NRA had fought tooth-and-nail in opposition to the NFA? Or, fought tooth-and-nail since the 1930's to roll back large chunks of the NFA? What would the rights landscape look like if NRA had fought head-on the 1986 closure of the machine gun registry, or fought tooth-and-nail since then to re-open it?

Yep, exactly. The Negotiate Rights Away bunch has been ******* us over for generations. The sad thing is that there are too few hard core people to make things happen any better, hard as we might try. The dismal turn out at the second amendment march was a prestine example. 4 million lazy ass gun owners in the NRA mean nothing, other than as a group of largely manipulate able people to send to the polls. It takes hard work and dedication to make things happen, not an annual donation to fund more mail solicitations.

Last edited:

NY2AZ

One thing many people seem to forget is that the NRA is a grouping of people. The majority, right now, may be opposed to open carry. However, the more open carry supporters join the NRA, the easier it will be to change the opinion and thinking of the NRA.

This however will never happen if we continue to simply dismiss the NRA because they don't agree with our position on OC.

Like Ghandi said;" be the change you want to see".

Tess

Founder's Club Member
One thing many people seem to forget is that the NRA is a grouping of people. The majority, right now, may be opposed to open carry. However, the more open carry supporters join the NRA, the easier it will be to change the opinion and thinking of the NRA.

This however will never happen if we continue to simply dismiss the NRA because they don't agree with our position on OC.

Like Ghandi said;" be the change you want to see".

Too true. I truly dislike the way the NRA operates, and despise some of their actions and statements.

But who will they listen to, if anyone -- a dues-paying member (life member, in my case) or Jr. Joe Schmuckapelli off the street?

Dreamer

Tess, you make a good point. If folks want to change the NRA (or their local government, or the Federal government, or whatever) they will NOT make an impact by sitting on the sidelines and bitching about how bad they suck.

We need to start THINKING and ACTING like ACTIVISTS.

It's much easier for a colony of termites to bring down a house from the INSIDE than it is for a flock of woodpeckers banging away from the outside.

Consolidating efforts + Infiltrating the "enemy" + Instigating change = VICTORY

I'm a NRA/GRNC member (and will be joining JPFO, VCDL, SAF and GOA as soon as my meager Grad Student budget will allow), an OC activist, a 2A educator, a proud producer of Pro-1A and 2A printed propaganda, and I actively engage my local, state, and federal government as often as I can.

What are some of the rest of YOU doing besides "preaching to the choir"?...

Last edited:

NY2AZ

Tess, you make a good point. If folks want to change the NRA (or their local government, or the Federal government, or whatever) they will NOT make an impact by sitting on the sidelines and bitching about how bad they suck.

We need to start THINKING and ACTING like ACTIVISTS.

It's much easier for a colony of termites to bring down a house from the INSIDE than it is for a flock of woodpeckers banging away from the outside.

Consolidating efforts + Infiltrating the "enemy" + Instigating change = VICTORY

I'm a NRA/GRNC member (and will be joining JPFO, VCDL, SAF and GOA as soon as my meager Grad Student budget will allow), an OC activist, a 2A educator, a proud producer of Pro-1A and 2A printed propaganda, and I actively engage my local, state, and federal government as often as I can.

What are some of the rest of YOU doing besides "preaching to the choir"?...

Man!! Good for you Dreamer. I feel kind of bad now. All I do is write my reps sometimes. Sometimes I'll go to a rally or get together or two, but nothing near what you do. I'll have to step my game up. ;-)

If only more were like you Dreamer. Good on you!