• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'4 gun backers suing Chicago', The WashingtonTimes.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jul/7/4-gun-backers-suing-chicago/

Excerpt said:
The city's law department defended the ordinance Wednesday, saying the Supreme Court's rulings recognized that some restrictions on the possession of firearms are appropriate.

"We believe that Chicago's ordinance is a reasonable attempt to balance the right of individuals to possess handguns in the home for self-defense with the substantial risks to public safety that are associated with the proliferation of firearms," the law department stated.

From John R. Lott, "So what motivated the new Chicago gun control ordinance?" Quotes from Plaintiff's COMPLAINT FOR DECLARATORY JUDGMENT AND INJUNCTIVE RELIEF.

http://207.41.16.133/rfcViewFile/10cv4184.pdf 101 KB 21 pages

John R. Lott said:
Alderman Mary Ann Smith echoed her fellows on the City Council, vowing to limit gun ownership with new legal restrictions and thanking “everyone who has worked to try and create as restrictive a tool as possible.” In describing the new Ordinance on July 1, 2010, Chicago Corporation Counsel Mara Georges lauded the restrictions and concluded that “[w]e’ve gone farther than anyone else ever has.”

Last edited:

simmonsjoe

Bull !!

"We believe that Chicago's ordinance is a reasonable attempt to balance the right of individuals to possess handguns in the home for self-defense with the substantial risks to public safety that are associated with the proliferation of firearms," the law department stated.

All well and good! Except, the RKBA is fundamental and affirmed by the supreme court. Meanwhile the "substantial risks to public safety that are associated with the proliferation of firearms" has been disproved categorically. It has even been proven to have the exact opposite effect. So I'm confused as to where the balancing act comes in.

Not even going there.

If your concern is for the public safety, why are you restricting peoples right to bear arms in their own homes?

Last edited:

Huck

If your concern is for the public safety, why are you restricting peoples right to bear arms in their own homes?

Because they're not concerened with the safety of the public, they're concerned about retaining control/power over the public.

I sure hope Daley is one of the defendants in that suit. He deserves to be nailed to the barn door.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Because they're not concerened with the safety of the public, they're concerned about retaining control/power over the public.

Yep.

I sure hope Daley is one of the defendants in that suit. He deserves to be nailed to the barn door.

Like father, like son. His dad supported this unconstitutional measure, and his son is keeping up family traditions.

Tell you what? Let's nail 'em both to the barn door, along with any and all others who support unconstitutional measures such as these which seek to strip honest Americans of their civil rights. Might as well go for the family jewels, er, treasures while we're at it - Lord knows both of them have made fortunes off the backs of honest, hard-working citizens. They, like a few others, forget that government service means serving the people, not themselves.

Jack House

Daley is not the only problem in Chicago, the article stated that the city councel voted unanimously to approve these gun laws. The citizens of Chicago need to fire the aldermen and the mayor.
Some of the aldermen conceded that the ordinance would do nothing to stop the criminals, and only harm law abiding citizens. o then, why did they vote for it?