• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry In Churchs in Louisiana

tomtaurus

I noticed that the governor of La. passed a bill saying you could carry concealed in churches. As far as i know, that is already legal in NC. Comments????

TheFreeman

Last time I checked, I think you had to have permission from a church leader or something. I always thought churches would fall under "places of assembly" and therefore a place you could legally carry to.

edrolee

what about a church that is also a school..... i've been wondering about that
my church also has a school however the school campus is divided from the main church building by a publicly maintained road
although the church has church events in the school building

so how would that work?

no guns at all?

no guns on the school part of the property even at non-school church functions?
(example a few years ago we renovated the sanctuary and had services in the school gym for about 2 months)

guns only on the part of the property that does not act as regular school grounds (of course the students once a week come over to the sanctuary for services)

just curious for opinions

Slidell Jim

what about a church that is also a school.....

There are a large amount of Catholic schools/churches in the greater New Orleans area that fit that situation. Our new Louisiana law addresses that specific question with "churches on school grounds still off limits".

Last edited:

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
tomtarus:

I too live in Greensboro, and I carry in church regularly. I go to Westover Church. I OC'd once, and the security director (who is a retired LEO) asked that I not OC there. He did say that church leadership doesn't have a problem with folks CC'ing however, and we have several who are known to CC there regularly. Granted, there is no school at the church.

I don't see any reason why one shouldn't carry at church... I remember just after Christmas there was a guy who walked into a church office in Statesville & kidnapped two office workers. They were later released unharmed after being forced at gunpoint to drive to multiple ATMs & withdraw funds.

Throughout the country there have been a handful of church shootings occurring during the middle of services in the last 10 years or so. Why shouldn't God's people be able to defend themselves? I've heard some christians say that they think that carrying a weapon in church reflects a lack of faith, and that we should just trust God to protect us. I do trust God, and I trust that there are people who do evil things regardless. I trust that God will help steady my aim should the need arise :)

john-in-reno

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Luke 22:36 (KJV)

Well there were no guns back then but I think Jesus was saying is Protect yourself, if he was alive today i think he would have said

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no GUN, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Luke 22:36 (KJV)

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Unfortunately, there are many christians who take Matthew 5:39 out of context: "But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

This is commonly taken out of context by pacifists. Taken in the context of the passage, the times, and looking at the original greek, Jesus was condemning the seeking of personal revenge.

This is a prime example of how one can look at one verse by itself, ignoring context, and twist the meaning into something other than what was intended.

nlhsouthpaw

Carrying in Church

I'm a pastor at a NC church...and i keep my Tauras .45 in my office, hidden in my desk!

cricketdad

what about a church that is also a school..... i've been wondering about that
my church also has a school however the school campus is divided from the main church building by a publicly maintained road
although the church has church events in the school building

so how would that work?

no guns at all?

no guns on the school part of the property even at non-school church functions?
(example a few years ago we renovated the sanctuary and had services in the school gym for about 2 months)

guns only on the part of the property that does not act as regular school grounds (of course the students once a week come over to the sanctuary for services)

just curious for opinions

A school is a school, only exception is a home school.