Thread: Man briefs Battle Creek, MI public body on open carry rights and police confusion

Moderator / Administrator

Man briefs Battle Creek, MI public body on open carry rights and police confusion

Not sure what borad it was - link is not written clearly.

http://villagethinker.wordpress.com/...ssion-meeting/

Good find. Interesting read.

From the link:

Then it was time for public comment. First, the man I have dubbed “Open Carry Guy” got up and informed the City Commission that someone who has a CPL (Concealed Pistol License aka “CCW”) but chooses to open carry his handgun, was pulled over by the BCPD in violation of the law. According to him, and to the man who was pulled over, who spoke after him, the PD pulled him over because he was open carrying on a motorcycle, and that’s illegal. Just not according to the law regarding open carry.

Open Carry Guy is a vocal advocate for open carry, and is always happy to educate people about the law, and he made it very clear that “open carry is a legal right and it is not to be infringed upon.”

I have a feeling that at some point a discreet settlement will be made.
    Someone who can't be trusted to walk free in public with a firearm shouldn't be walking around free.

Hey, I know that guy

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Hey, I know that guy

Bronson
    Me too! That is the MOC SW Deputy Coordinator for the Battle Creek Area!! Better known to the rest of us on here as Mastiff!
    Last edited by autosurgeon; 07-08-2010 at 01:52 PM.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

I know that guy too, oops that was me i have to admit it.

I went before the city commission again becouse the police don't get it, or they don't believe that we have any rights except the ones that they allow us to have...

I suspect in a week or two the problem will be solved or the the courts will be recieving forums for a hearing in front of a federal judge.

Quote Originally Posted by mastiff69 View Post
    I know that guy too, oops that was me i have to admit it.

I went before the city commission again becouse the police don't get it, or they don't believe that we have any rights except the ones that they allow us to have...

I suspect in a week or two the problem will be solved or the the courts will be recieving forums for a hearing in front of a federal judge.
    Pretty sad.. what a waste of manpower and time! But then why should we be surprised they did the same type of thing when we walked through BC...

I hope this time they get it corrected... otherwise I fear a lawsuit is the only way.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

uh is anyone missing the important part here???? yes yes someones rights got trampled on, but did any of you go to that link and see the picture at the top of the page???? all i have to say is holy moly! look at the legs!
    anyway, i'll put my small head away, and say is this a common occurence in battle creek? or is this the first time that someone has been screwed with while OC? because if its not the first time, then maybe the council should be made aware of waht has happened elsewhere in this state when someone gets screwed with while OC, warren, marrysville, and several other cities had had there noses rubbed in it for lack of a better term, and i would say the they will be paying for it with green backs as well. i am admittingly new to OC but i can read, and so far no department or city has had a legal foot to stand on, when the legal eagles set their claws into the check books. IMO anyway.
    shaun