• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns Allowed In Church in Louisiana, Why is it not socially acceptable in Wisconsin?

J.Gleason

Banned
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/294375

45 mins ago By ■ Kay Mathews - comments

'Gun-In-Church' bill now law in Louisiana
By Kay Mathews.

Louisiana's governor Bobby Jindal signed House Bill 1272 into law allowing "guns to be carried into houses of worship...as part of a security force".
The Times-Picayune reports that "Gov. Bobby Jindal has signed into law one of the more controversial bills from the recent legislative session, one allowing guns to be carried into houses of worship."
House Bill 1272, the "gun-in-church" bill, was sponsored by Rep. Henry Burns (R-Haughton) and arrived on Jindal's desk June 20. Jindal signed the bill into law this week. A Senate committee had killed Burn's original bill, but Burns later tacked the legislation onto a bill concerning concealed weapon permits.
The "gun-in-church" law allows authorized "persons who qualified to carry concealed weapons having passed the training and background checks to bring them to churches, mosques, synagogues or other houses of worship as part of a security force."
Heads of the religious institutions, who adopt the "gun-in church" option, are required to announce via weekly bulletin, newsletter, or verbally that armed individuals will be on the property as part of the security force. Chosen members of the security force must receive eight hours of tactical training per year.
New Orleans Archbishop Gregory Aymond was quoted by NewOrleans.com as saying:

Well, thank God we are requiring they go through eight hours of tactical training. Personally, I don't see a need for the law. It's just very surprising to me that this was passed because even if you talk about the more challenging neighborhoods, they don't have problems inside the church. They've had problems in the neighborhood, outside the church, near the church in a park but not in the church. Theologically we have always seen our churches, synagogues and mosques as a place of refuge and sanctuary. Not a place where firearms would be used.

Houses of worship are also allowed to retain the services of security guards or off-duty police "to protect congregants." Burns contends that houses of worship in "declining neighborhoods" or high crime areas need the security force in order to "ward off thieves and muggers," according to the Times-Picayune.
According to the Boston Herald, churches on school property are exempt from the law.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Is that a non-sequitur, social from legal?

Like drinking while armed is regarded here on WI-OCDO. Guns are legal in churches in Wisconsin but gun controllers understand that it's about control, not just guns.

Guns are legal and socially accepted in South Carolina. The argument that an untrusting congregation is not a proper church worked there. Read Shooting Back: The Right and Duty of Self-Defense by the churchman Charyl Van Wyk.

J.Gleason

Banned
Like drinking while armed is regarded here on WI-OCDO. Guns are legal in churches in Wisconsin but gun controllers understand that it's about control, not just guns.

Guns are legal and socially accepted in South Carolina. The argument that an untrusting congregation is not a proper church worked there. Read Shooting Back: The Right and Duty of Self-Defense by the churchman Charyl Van Wyk.

Do you have a link Doug? Is it an article or a book? I am interested in reading it.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Shooting Back: The Right and Duty of Self-Defense by Charl Van Wyk

Do you have a link Doug? Is it an article or a book? I am interested in reading it.
Shooting Back: The Right and Duty of Self-Defense by Charl Van Wyk, ISBN 0 620-28120-0, published 2001 by Christian Liberty Books, Post Office Box 358 Howard Place, Pinelands, 7450, Cape Town, South Africa http://www.christianlibertybooks.co.za

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charl_van_Wyk redirects to The Saint James Church massacre

http://www.amazon.com/Shooting-Back-Right-Duty-Self-defense

And if that's not enough, I'll be glad to lend my copy.

B

bhancock

I suspect there is more than one local church in which the pastor requires the Elders to be armed for the security and defense of the congregation. These discussions were pretty common after the church shootings in Wisconsin. In our church at the time we formulated safety plans that did not include arming ourselves because it was the best we knew at the time, now I think those discussions could be a little different.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I suspect there is more than one local church in which the pastor requires the Elders to be armed for the security and defense of the congregation. These discussions were pretty common after the church shootings in Wisconsin. In our church at the time we formulated safety plans that did not include arming ourselves because it was the best we knew at the time, now I think those discussions could be a little different.

I thought only owners of a business could CC so parishioners can't CC. Otherwise, please provide citation.

B

bhancock

I was not involved in all the meetings in all the churches. I can say I had conversations with members of other churches about both openly carrying and one that was controversial because of a concealed carry request by the pastor. Now I am going back about 6-7 years. Unfortunately it seems that the subject has only come up in the wake of a local massacre.

Now on the business end of things. If a church is incorporated, at least in the one I was involved, the property was collectively owned by all of the voting members of the church. If there was a split the property would remain with those that continued to adhere to the teachings of the church as outlined in the charter documents. So I am not sure how that would work in a litigation situation. I also know that all churches are not incorporated and having a constitution or some other form of charter documents.

That is about all I know about the whole matter. I know that right now, finding a church that not only fits my beliefs and in which the members don't freak about open carry may be difficult in this area.

J.Gleason

Banned
I thought only owners of a business could CC so parishioners can't CC. Otherwise, please provide citation.

I can give you a couple of quotes!

Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six. Or, out of sight, out of mind.

Personally, I would ccw at church, although I believe it was perfectly understandable what MKEgal did since it fit the theme of the sermon. How hypocritical to have a sermon on civil rights and then call the police on someone for exercising them.